rec.pets.cats.anecdotes scheduled for sporge flood

Old August 12th 07, 03:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

Default rec.pets.cats.anecdotes scheduled for sporge flood

"Matthew" wrote in message
YOU ALL ARE MAKING ME HUNGRY ;-)

I think that was the plan

--
http://www.firstgiving.com/nalee1131964
About my charity:

Old August 12th 07, 04:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew

You all got me to go in the kitchen this morning
Made golden hominy, turkey bacon, wheat toast and a ham,cheese, spinach and
mushroom omelet

"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote in message
"Matthew" wrote in message
YOU ALL ARE MAKING ME HUNGRY ;-)

I think that was the plan

Old August 12th 07, 06:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On 12 Aug, 08:35, "Matthew" wrote:
You all got me to go in the kitchen this morning
Made golden hominy,

Okay what's golden hominy? I've vaguely heard of hominy and grits is
it? Grits being some parts of a chicken I gather that I wouldn't eat?

Not that I'm being rude about American cuisine- I live in East London,
home of pie n'mash (As long as the liquor is good) and we eat faggots

(Before anyone gets any strange ideas (as Adrian A once said "popping
out for a fag" might sound strange in some parts of the World)
they're a sort of dumpling made from some sort of meat and spices-
(best served piping hot on a bed of pease pudding wiht is a nectar of
the Gods!)

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old August 12th 07, 07:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew

"Lesley" wrote in message
ps.com...
On 12 Aug, 08:35, "Matthew" wrote:
You all got me to go in the kitchen this morning
Made golden hominy,

Okay what's golden hominy? I've vaguely heard of hominy and grits is
it? Grits being some parts of a chicken I gather that I wouldn't eat?

LOL No grits is ground corn :-). You would know it as a porridge. Golden
hominy is a variety of corn they prepare in a certain way. Grits is
basically soaked corn kernels in a salt based solution that have been
grounded up.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grits

You are thinking of gizzards( ??) which are great if deep fried

Not that I'm being rude about American cuisine- I live in East London,
home of pie n'mash (As long as the liquor is good) and we eat faggots

I know how overseas way of life is. I introduced some friends to real sweet
breads after they devored it and said they loved I told them what it was.
You could see them turn green

I thought a fag was a cigarette in the UK till someone introduced me to
faggots and peas. It was very good but it was a little different from
normally it had liver and onions in it. I had in a form of casserole they
guys called it ducks I think

Old August 12th 07, 08:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On 12 Aug, 11:30, "Matthew" wrote:

LOL No grits is ground corn :-). You would know it as a porridge. Golden
hominy is a variety of corn they prepare in a certain way. Grits is
basically soaked corn kernels in a salt based solution that have been
grounded up.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grits

Sounds quite nice

I know how overseas way of life is. I introduced some friends to real sweet
breads after they devored it and said they loved I told them what it was.
You could see them turn green

I'm queasy just thinking about it- I know what sweet breads are!

I thought a fag was a cigarette in the UK

It is

till someone introduced me to
faggots and peas. It was very good but it was a little different from
normally it had liver and onions in it. I had in a form of casserole they
guys called it ducks I think

Don't know that one and you don't have faggots with peas (the
thought!) but pease pudding (Delicious stuff)

Then again some people like jellied eels (Another East End "Delicacy")
and I don't even like the look or smell of them. A couple of years
back my cousin graduated and we had a party and as a special treat for
him, someone brought a huge bucket of the things, which took pride of
place on the buffet....I should buy some as a diet aid, I could barely
bring myself to go within ten feet of the buffet and hardly ate a
thing all night

Old August 12th 07, 08:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew

"Lesley" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 12 Aug, 11:30, "Matthew" wrote:

[...]

That was what it was pea type porridge. All I know it was delicious

Then again some people like jellied eels (Another East End "Delicacy")
and I don't even like the look or smell of them. A couple of years
back my cousin graduated and we had a party and as a special treat for
him, someone brought a huge bucket of the things, which took pride of
place on the buffet....I should buy some as a diet aid, I could barely
bring myself to go within ten feet of the buffet and hardly ate a
thing all night

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

There are some food like that over here like chitins; which is pig
intestines http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chitlin some like chicken innards
which is their intestines
I can eat the gizzard or liver deep fried but that is it

Old August 13th 07, 01:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Lesley wrote:
On 12 Aug, 08:35, "Matthew" wrote:
You all got me to go in the kitchen this morning
Made golden hominy,

Okay what's golden hominy? I've vaguely heard of hominy and grits is
it? Grits being some parts of a chicken I gather that I wouldn't eat?

Um, no. Grits are made from corn and so is hominy, but hominy isn't grits,
although some people call grits "hominy grits". It's sort of a misnomer.

http://www.grits.com/

Jill

Old August 13th 07, 02:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Lesley wrote:
On 12 Aug, 08:35, "Matthew" wrote:
You all got me to go in the kitchen this morning
Made golden hominy,

Okay what's golden hominy? I've vaguely heard of hominy and grits is
it? Grits being some parts of a chicken I gather that I wouldn't eat?

Um, no. Grits are made from corn and so is hominy, but hominy isn't
grits,
although some people call grits "hominy grits". It's sort of a misnomer.

http://www.grits.com/

Jill

Ask a northerner if they want grits or hash browns and they look at you like
you committed murder. Than get the look on their face and ask what is
grits. Every one always stress the word so it sounds like gggriiittttssss

I still like pozole better specially with Florida rock shrimp

Old August 13th 07, 02:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Lesley wrote:
On 12 Aug, 08:35, "Matthew" wrote:
You all got me to go in the kitchen this morning
Made golden hominy,

Okay what's golden hominy? I've vaguely heard of hominy and grits is
it? Grits being some parts of a chicken I gather that I wouldn't eat?

Um, no. Grits are made from corn and so is hominy, but hominy isn't
grits,
although some people call grits "hominy grits". It's sort of a misnomer.

http://www.grits.com/

Jill

OK, I know hominy is kernels of dried of corn that have been soaked in an
alkali solution of some kind to remove the outer hull.

It is used more in Mexico and Central America than in the United States and
is also called pozole. It can be served a a side dish, or used in stews.

Once the hulls have been removed, the hominy can then be dried again and
ground coarsely to make hominy grits. (Think polenta) Or they can be
ground more finely to make mesa flour. That is used to make tamales and
corn tortilla's. Since the hulls nave been removed, hominy and hominy grits
and mesa flour are more digestible than corn or polenta or corn meal mush.

Jo

Old August 13th 07, 02:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Aug 12, 8:11 pm, "jofirey" wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message

Lesley wrote:
On 12 Aug, 08:35, "Matthew" wrote:
[...]

Right. Hominy grits is...grits made from hominy, or corn that's been
processed the way you described.
"Grits" can also be made from unprocessed dried corn, which is
different from hominy grits, but still "grits".
I've never tasted hominy, except for commercially canned hominy, and
never had grits except in restaurants.
Matthew needs to teach me how to make it, just so I can say I've done
it.
I like both, but grits only with sugar as a breakfast thing. The name
is just so off-putting. I never would try it
as a kid because it sounded, and even looked a little, like the stuff
we used to throw on the bottom
of the parakeet's cage to aid digestion.

Sherry