Alex the Parrot RB

Old September 11th 07, 03:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_2_]

Default Alex the Parrot RB

Alex, the African grey parrot with the astonishing verbal skills, has died
at age 31:
http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...ns_scientists/

Old September 11th 07, 04:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Kreisleriana wrote:
Alex, the African grey parrot with the astonishing verbal skills, has
died at age 31:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...ns_scientists/

Oh how sad! My first thought was that's very young for an African Grey! It
will take a necropsy to determine the cause of death. Members of the parrot
family are as good at hiding illness as cats are. Alex may very well have
not been feeling up to snuff when he was told goodnight the night before
even though he went through his normal routine. For all his intelligence,
just like cats, he wouldn't have been able to communicate this without
exhibiting some obvious symptoms. In birds, once it gets to that point it's
often far too late

Jill

Jill

Old September 12th 07, 01:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

On 2007-09-11 09:47:54 -0500, "Kreisleriana" drtmuiratearthlink.net said:

Alex, the African grey parrot with the astonishing verbal skills, has
died at age 31:
http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...ns_scientists/

just heard about this on the news. That is pretty young for a parrot,
isn't it?

Old September 12th 07, 02:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On 2007-09-11 09:47:54 -0500, "Kreisleriana" drtmuiratearthlink.net said:

Alex, the African grey parrot with the astonishing verbal skills, has
died at age 31:
http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...ns_scientists/

just heard about this on the news. That is pretty young for a parrot,
isn't it?

An article I read said that African Greys live to about 50, on average.
Alex worked with this group of researchers for 30 years, but I don't
know how old he was when he started working with them.

I first saw Alex on a TV show, might've been Animal Planet, or
maybe PBS, not sure. It showed Irene Pepperberg asking him to identify
various pieces of plastic that were in different colors and shapes.
She'd say, "Which one is the blue square?" And he'd peck at it (or
maybe pick it up, I don't remember). "Which is the red circle?" etc.
He got them all right. I remember reading an article a while later
that said the remarkable thing about that was that he could keep two
concepts in his mind at the same time: color and shape. Not all
animals can do that.

That was amazing enough, but the thing that impressed me the most
was when he started saying, "Wanna go chair. Wanna go chair." Irene
said, "Oh, you want to go to your chair? OK." She moved him to the
back of "his" chair, and he stopped talking about that. To me that
showed that he was able to express a wish, that originated from
him, using language.

It's one thing when an animal recognizes a sound pattern and
understands the idea or object that sound is associated with. Dogs
and cats can do that, too. But he was able to express his own
thoughts using words. He wasn't just mimicking sounds. He knew
which sounds to use to express an idea that he was having.

I wonder if other African Greys are as smart as Alex, or maybe
he was the Einstein of parrots?

Joyce
Old September 12th 07, 02:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

On 2007-09-11 09:47:54 -0500, "Kreisleriana" drtmuiratearthlink.net
said:

Alex, the African grey parrot with the astonishing verbal skills, has
died at age 31:
http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...ns_scientists/

just heard about this on the news. That is pretty young for a parrot,
isn't it?

Don't they usually live to around 50 and as long as 70?

Tweed

Old September 12th 07, 03:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_2_]

On 2007-09-11 09:47:54 -0500, "Kreisleriana" drtmuiratearthlink.net
said:

[...]

The most amazing thing for me was his intraction with Dr. Pepperberg, and
the other parrots. He would sometimes seem to get bored with his lesons,
and it was obvious that he would start messing with her, answering wrong on
purpose. He'd also tell her to "Relax!" when she would insist! Reminded
me of my brother as a teenager, talking to our dad. Also, he would order
the other parrots to "Talk better" when they started underachieving, too. A
truly amazing little bird.

Dr. Pepperberg must be wrecked. That's a really close relationship. They
get purrs from us.