Pepe Le Huge on more reasonable diet

Old October 5th 09, 09:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Pepe Le Huge on more reasonable diet

"tanadashoes" wrote in message
m...

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

That's a question I was going to ask - are they suitable to have as a
pet? I can understand keeping one if you found an abandoned tiny baby and
hand reared it, but they're wild animals after all and would need feeding
a diet near to one they would choose in the wild, surely? Do many
people keep skunks as pets in the USA? What about oppossums (sp?) are
they kept as pets ever, or racoons? Just interested.

In most states, it is illegal to make a wild animal (or one which should
be wild) a pet or to try to raise it on your own. There are trained
wildlife rehabilitators who know what they are doing and will work within
the law to properly take care of lost or injured wildlife. Personally, I
think anyone who tries to take care of a wild animal without the proper
training to do so is not only an idiot but, probably, an murderer.

It's not illegal here, for example if I reared a baby orphaned squirrel
there is nothing to stop me keeping it as a pet. Or a fox or badger cub for
that matter. However, I would not want to keep a wild animal as a pet. I am
sure I wouldn't be able to meet its needs as it grew up.
To see that skunk with an enormous stomach through being fed on bacon
sandwiches, well, words failed me.
FGS, if anyone *needs* to have a skunk as a pet, at least feed it properly.

Tweed

Old October 5th 09, 09:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

Do you realise if you reared a baby orphaned *grey* squirrel you would have
to keep it as a pet, to release it would be breaking the law as it's a
non-native species.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old October 5th 09, 10:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"ScratchMonkey" wrote in
message .. .
"tanadashoes" wrote in
m:

Personally, I think anyone who tries to take care of a wild
animal
without the proper training to do so is not only an idiot but,
probably, an murderer.

If it were not for untrained amateurs taking in wild cats and dogs
thousands of years ago, we'd not have our companions today.

Training has its place, but it's not a panacea, and there are some
good
"amateurs" in any field of endeavor. I wouldn't let one build a
skyscraper
or airliner I'd want to be around, of course.

Most of us were raised ourselves by untrained amateurs. And start
out pretty much the same with our own children.

Its as much a matter of needs and the ability and willingness to
meet them as it is of training. Oh, and of course of love.

Jo

Old October 6th 09, 06:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
ScratchMonkey

"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

It's not illegal here, for example if I reared a baby orphaned
squirrel there is nothing to stop me keeping it as a pet. Or a fox or
badger cub for that matter. However, I would not want to keep a wild
animal as a pet. I am sure I wouldn't be able to meet its needs as it
grew up. To see that skunk with an enormous stomach through being fed
on bacon sandwiches, well, words failed me.
FGS, if anyone *needs* to have a skunk as a pet, at least feed it
properly.

Agreed! And the same for chubby little humans.
Old October 6th 09, 10:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Adrian" wrote in message
om...
Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

Yes, I know that but some rescue orgs have a licence to do so apparently
now.
Including my friends the RSPCA, bless their kind little hearts.
June has a kind word for them too, when they are fundraising. "I would not
give the the drippings of my nose."
She has a rare way with words.

Tweed

Old October 7th 09, 10:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
nospam[_2_]

ScratchMonkey wrote:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...UGE-Pet-skunk-
strict-diet-ballooning-diet-bacon-butties.html

"They handed him over to the RSPCA because they were unable to control
his weight gain and he is now on a strict diet of fruit and vegetables
with two walks a day."

I have no idea what bacon butties are and do not care. The losers who
fed the skunk so much that they got that fat should be charged with
animal abuse, fined, and jailed for as long as possible. I have never
seen a fat skunk in the wild which goes to prove that the "people" who
did this are trash.
Old October 7th 09, 01:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

"They handed him over to the RSPCA because they were unable to control
his weight gain and he is now on a strict diet of fruit and vegetables
with two walks a day."

I have no idea what bacon butties are and do not care. The losers who
fed the skunk so much that they got that fat should be charged with
animal abuse, fined, and jailed for as long as possible. I have never
seen a fat skunk in the wild which goes to prove that the "people" who
did this are trash.

Simply googling "care of a pet skunk" gets you plenty of information
about what's involved in looking after one. I think they're gorgeous
but that would be far too much work for me.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
****** I killfile Google posts - email me if you want to be whitelisted ******
Old October 7th 09, 10:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
ScratchMonkey

nospam wrote in :

I have no idea what bacon butties are and do not care. The losers who
fed the skunk so much that they got that fat should be charged with
animal abuse, fined, and jailed for as long as possible. I have never
seen a fat skunk in the wild which goes to prove that the "people" who
did this are trash.

There are also no fat humans in the wild. Domestication made us fat, too.
Ex-FDA chief Donald Kessler, who can't control his *own* eating, apparently
wants all food makers who make fattening food silenced, blaming their
advertising, not his lack of self control, for the world's obesity.

http://reason.com/archives/2009/08/28/a-clean-plate
Old October 9th 09, 08:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"ScratchMonkey" wrote in message
.. .
nospam wrote in :

I have no idea what bacon butties are and do not care. The losers who
fed the skunk so much that they got that fat should be charged with
animal abuse, fined, and jailed for as long as possible. I have never
seen a fat skunk in the wild which goes to prove that the "people" who
did this are trash.

There are also no fat humans in the wild. Domestication made us fat, too.
Ex-FDA chief Donald Kessler, who can't control his *own* eating,
apparently
wants all food makers who make fattening food silenced, blaming their
advertising, not his lack of self control, for the world's obesity.

I've said many times that if you eat more calories per day/week/month than
you use then your weight will increase. To lose weight eat less than you
need. It really is that simple.

Tweed
No-one came out of Belsen fat.

Old October 9th 09, 09:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

nospam wrote in :

[...]

As I recall, a lot of people never came out at all. MLB