Rescue, when to take off flea collars?

Old August 4th 03, 02:07 AM
DeAnna

Tapeworms are transmitted via blood transmission via .... fleas.

If you want to prevent re-infestation, I would strongly suggest you re-think your flea
treatment alternatives. Collars are statistically on the low end of the scale when it
comes to being effective. Even if you never let your cats outside, you can carry the fleas
in to them. And if the fleas are carrying tapeworm eggs, you will start the vicious cycle
all over.

If you remove the collars, for the safety of the animal, you may actually be unwittingly
exposing them to re-infestation.

Here is a good article that explains tapeworm:
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_tapeworm.html

As that article says, the key to eradication tapeworms is home flea control.

I use Advantage, as I posted earlier in the thread. I have seen enough evidence to justify
it as a reasonable risk as opposed to the complications that can be associated with having
a flea infestation. I, myself, am highly allergic to flea bites, and tend to scratch in my
sleep, causing no end to scars and infections. We also have a dog that is sensitive to
flea bites, to the point where she scratches herself raw. She has had no lesions since we
switched to Advantage.

Remember, with any product to control fleas, you are TRYING to KILL something, therefore,
whatever you use will be somewhat toxic, in one form or another. It is like taking any
kind of medicine. You will always have some "side effects". There are risks associated
with everything, but you have to weigh the benefit against the reasonable risk to the
user.

Good luck. Fleas are evil minions of satan, and all deserve to die!

D.

"Joe" wrote in message ...
(Nadine) wrote:

you obviously don't care about safety.

I monitor my cats carefully.

Today, a veterinarian gave Kitty (the new male cat) two shots and pills for
the tapeworms.

Drontal FELINE
EV/Rhino/Calici Annual
Rabies, Feline
Exam by Doctor

I will take him back next month for booster shots.

--
The new male cat is perfect for Kiki, IMO. She still hisses when they get
close. He is very timid, not territorial at all but does show signs of

Have a great day anyway.

Old August 4th 03, 01:25 PM
Bob Brenchley.

On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 19:09:13 -0500, "DeAnna"
wrote:

They are not only NOT quick/effective flea killers but they can
make a cat sick.

So can Advantage.

Actually, in testing, Advantage was literally FED to the test subjects. With no ill
effects.

True, but that does not mean it is the same with all cats.

From the manufacturer website:
"Advantage is backed by extensive and thorough domestic animal safety studies that show
even when administered at five times the target therapeutic dosage for three consecutive
days, cats and dogs experienced no adverse effects4. If you apply as recommended, you can
be confident of the gentleness of Advantage on your pet.
4Bayer Domestic Animal Safety Studies"

And for that vast majority of cats and dogs that is 100% true, though
just the same can be said for many other products. However, for a
small number, reactions can and do occur.

The active ingredient, is also used as a grain pesticide, and is thereby ingested, even
by humans. You can read more on this he
http://ace.orst.edu/info/extoxnet/pips/imidaclo.htm
(snip excerpted from toxicity studies-note-the imidacloprid was ingested in these studies)
"Chronic Toxicity: A 2-year feeding study in rats fed up to 1,800 ppm resulted in a No
Observable Effect Level (NOEL) of 100 ppm (5.7 mg/kg body weight in males and 7.6 mg/kg in
females). Adverse effects included decreased body weight gain in females at 300 ppm, and
increased thyroid lesions in males at 300 ppm and females at 900 ppm. A 1-year feeding
study in dogs fed up to 2,500 ppm resulted in a NOEL of 1,250 ppm (41 mg/kg). Adverse
effects included increased cholesterol levels in the blood, and some stress to the liver
(measured by elevated liver cytochrome p-450 levels) (331)"

We use Advantage, and have had no problems, even on very sick animals.
D.

Your points?

--
Bob.

You have not been charged for this lesson. Please pass it to all your
friends so they may learn as well.