Can a person carry a kitty cold from one house to another?

Old May 3rd 06, 01:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Can a person carry a kitty cold from one house to another?

We had a house guest on Wednesday and he travels a lot... Sillybilly
started sneezing on Saturday and she hasn't stopped I think she
might have a kittycold but I don't see how she could have caught it
unless our guest brought it with him! In which case I'd have thought
that Tessie would be the sneezly one because she wanted to give him a
free tongue bath :P

Old May 3rd 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote in
:

We had a house guest on Wednesday and he travels a lot... Sillybilly
started sneezing on Saturday and she hasn't stopped I think she
might have a kittycold but I don't see how she could have caught it
unless our guest brought it with him! In which case I'd have thought
that Tessie would be the sneezly one because she wanted to give him a
free tongue bath :P

This is the first time I ever heard of a cat being allergic to a human.
(Or is your house guest not human?)

Chak

--
There is something wonderful in seeing a wrong-headed majority assailed
by truth.
Old May 3rd 06, 06:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

might have a kittycold but I don't see how she could have caught it
unless our guest brought it with him! In which case I'd have thought

Yes, if a person is with a cat that has an upper respitory infection, that
person can carry it on his clothes or hands and if he touches another cat,
they can get it also. That's why people who work in shelters and vet clinics
change their clothing and wash up before they handle their own cats.

Old May 3rd 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

NanCe via CatKB.com u18214@uwe wrote:

might have a kittycold but I don't see how she could have caught it
unless our guest brought it with him! In which case I'd have thought

Yes, if a person is with a cat that has an upper respitory infection, that
person can carry it on his clothes or hands and if he touches another cat,
they can get it also. That's why people who work in shelters and vet clinics
change their clothing and wash up before they handle their own cats.

People who work in shelters and clinics are often going from one animal
to the next, so it's good to wash up between animals, or even at the
end of the shift, before going home to one's own pets. But if somebody's
travelling, and happened to get a kitty cold virus on them before leaving,
would the virus still be alive on the person by the time they arrive at
their destination? I guess it depends on the distance and time it takes
to get there, but it would seem to me that that length of time in between
contacts would make it pretty safe. But I could be wrong, of course...

Joyce
Old May 3rd 06, 10:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:

We had a house guest on Wednesday and he travels a lot... Sillybilly
started sneezing on Saturday and she hasn't stopped I think she
might have a kittycold but I don't see how she could have caught it
unless our guest brought it with him! In which case I'd have thought
that Tessie would be the sneezly one because she wanted to give him a
free tongue bath :P

We are hoping it is nothing serious and that Silly recovers really soon,
Polonca and Soncek

Old May 4th 06, 03:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 03 May 2006 20:27:49 GMT, wrote:

[...]

That's what I'm seriously wondering... he stayed with someone else on
tuesday and then drove down to us and stayed with us... it might just
be a co-incidence but I don't know why else Silver would have suddenly
started sneezing three days later. We changed their cat litter but she
was sneezing almost 48 hours before I even bought the new bag!

She didn't have much to do with him either... Tessica was all over him
demanding attention and licking him, so I'd have expected her to get
sick if anyone was going to!

Maybe it's allergies... every time she starts washing herself she
starts sneezing