Swelling under tongue

Old August 10th 03, 10:50 PM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Priscilla Ballou at
wrote on 8/10/03 1:49 PM:

I just got back from leaving Caley at the animal hospital for a day or
three.

Turns out the trauma to her mouth was a burn. They don't know yet if it
was chemical or electrical, but the fact that she's not vomitting etc.
means either it wasn't chemical or she's very lucky and it got no
further than her mouth. The white I was seeing in her mouth was skin
sloughing off. They'll do a "puls-ox" and that will tell whether it was
electrical or not, apparently.

I could have brought her home and treated her here, but I opted to admit
her so she'd be under their eyes. It's too hard doing the "is she
worse? should I call?" dance. She's very friendly, and I think being
there would be less hard on her than on other cats I've had. The vet
(who I think was an attending this time, not a resident) said he'd look
in on her personally. My being on the verge of tears may have had
something to do with that!

He says she'll most likely be fine. In the box on the forms for
"prognosis" he wrote "good." *whew*

Now I have to get the boys to start eating again. When Caley made the
round of dishes trying unsuccessfully to find food that wouldn't hurt
her mouth, her rejection of a dish of food translated to the boys as a
prohibition from their eating it, either, so no-one's been eating today!
The boys seem fine otherwise, and I expect that tonight they'll eat
fine, since no-one will be telling them not to. ;-) Who knew she had
such power?

Priscilla

You'll have to check around and look at cords. See if any have chew marks.
Keep us posted!

Karen