toothache /diet

Old August 6th 03, 07:08 PM
Yngver

"Cathy Friedmann" wrote:

Thanks for the info. I thought it was mainly for older cats with CRF, but

our
cat doesn't have that. I also sort of wonder if the IV fluids could have

any
adverse effects. Instead of a quick recovery, our cat took a long

time--two
days before she was back to normal. But she did have three extractions,

two of
them rear molars which are big teeth, and she was under anesthesia for

longer
than usual. I was wondering if it's possible for them to get too much IV
fluids. She didn't drink any water or other liquids that evening or the

entire
following day, yet urinated profusely four times in that time period. It

seems
to me she sure must have gotten a lot of fluids, to go that long without
wanting anything to drink.

One (a person, at any rate, so I would guess any other mammal) does pee a
lot if getting IV fluids.

What was curious to me was that she was peeing a lot that evening and the next
day, but taking in no liquids. She did eat a little dry kibble, but no liquids.
Seems like the IV fluids would have gone through her by the end of the first
evening.

When I've had IV fluids I'm pretty sure I was back to normal the next day, but
I can't recall for sure.

The 2-day recovery period sounds like a long time to me, though. In
contrast, Debbie - who was about 5 - 6 at the time - had 5 teeth out once &
was virtually back to normal by the time I picked her up later that day.

Wow, five teeth at once! Poor thing.

Our cat was pretty wobbly when she came home, and better the next day but still
a little unsteady on her feet until the following day. The vet said that one
of her teeth was causing her pain even under anesthesia, so I wonder if he gave
her a little too much after that. Our other cat has had a couple of dental
cleanings but by the time she came home she was pretty much okay, just cranky.
But she never had any extractions.
Old August 6th 03, 09:50 PM

"Gerard" wrote in message ...
hi i have an 10-12 year old tom cat who in fairly good health but hes being
suffering from a toothache. i brought him to the vets this morning but the
vet said he wouldnt risk removing the tooth because hes to old

That is ridiculous.
Never go back to that vet for anything.
Far older cats than yours have the procedure.
Even cats that have medical conditions that require
extra caution have it.

and the best
thing to do would be finding him foods that are easier for him to chew.

Nonsense. Do that, the tooth will only get worse, and problems spread
to other teeth. Left uncared for you risk kidney disease, failure, and
death.

ive
tried the tined foods he usually eats (wiskas beef and beef n liver) but
they seem to be causing him discomfort. anyone got any ideas on foods that i
can get for him which would be easier on his teeth .

Take him to another vet.
Standard procedure to have a full checkup, bloodwork, then be scheduled
for a full cleaning of his teeth, and extractions of those teeth that
require it. Cat comes home, heals, can eat anything, goes on to live
for years....

You should have been taking the cat in for periodic cleaning of
teeth through the years.

Old August 6th 03, 10:43 PM
Yngver

&
was virtually back to normal by the time I picked her up later that day.

Wow, five teeth at once! Poor thing.

Yeah, but... the day after those extractions she purred more than I'd ever
heard her purr, & continued to be a ready purr-er the rest of her life. So
I guess she was mighty happy to get those teeth out of there! Yet the only
symptom she showed beforehand was drooling.

We knew our cat had one tooth that was giving her some pain, but the vet
discovered the problems with the rear molars only after cleaning off the
tartar. That was unexpected. Yet like your cat, our cat wasn't really showing
any symptoms of problems. On her annual exam, the vet noticed the one incisor
was bothering her, so he recommended the dental cleaning/extraction.

I can't tell yet if she is glad to have the teeth out, but she is eating more.

Our cat was pretty wobbly when she came home, and better the next day but

still
a little unsteady on her feet until the following day. The vet said that

one
of her teeth was causing her pain even under anesthesia, so I wonder if he

gave
her a little too much after that.

Hmmm... yes, that's possible, I suppose. I've had teeth that needed a LOT
of Novocaine for root canals, surgery, etc. - the amount he assumed would
work, didn't.

My husband is like that. He's sometimes had huge doses of novocaine and still
didn't get numbed up. But of course novocaine is a lot different than using a
genera anesthesia as is done for cats.

The vet said they would note not to use that anesthesia again with our cat, but
I'm not sure what he used. The bill said isoflurane but I thought he told me it
was sevoflurane, which is newer and supposedly even safer.

Old August 12th 03, 08:11 AM
Milinda Lommer, DVM

"Gerard" wrote:
hi i have an 10-12 year old tom cat who in fairly good health but hes

being
suffering from a toothache. i brought him to the vets this morning but the
vet said he wouldnt risk removing the tooth because hes to old and the

best
thing to do would be finding him foods that are easier for him to chew.

ive
tried the tined foods he usually eats (wiskas beef and beef n liver) but
they seem to be causing him discomfort. anyone got any ideas on foods that

can get for him which would be easier on his teeth .

Dear Gerard,

I routinely anesthetize cats 17 to 20 years old. In the right hands,
anesthesia is perfectly safe for an otherwise healthy 10 to 12 year old cat.
Although it is difficult to second-guess the opinion of the doctor who has
actually examined him, your cat's quality of life would most likely be
greatly improved by addressing that tooth (and likely others similarly
affected). Feel free to contact me at petdentistatyahoo.com should you
have any additional questions.

Sincerely,
Milinda Lommer, DVM
Diplomate, American Veterinary Dental College

Aggie Animal Dental Service
San Francisco, CA