Update was taking a cat in

Old August 9th 03, 06:19 AM
Sharon

Default Update was taking a cat in

So, I took Stranger Cat to the vet after work today to check for a
microchip
(the vet I went to doesn't charge for the service), thanks to those who
suggested it. Can you believe that she didn't have one?

Unfortunately yes. Most pets chipped at our practice are dogs.

If the HS doesn't have Stranger Cat's humans, yet, I'll keep her until

they
do.

Fostering a kitty for a humane society is a wonderful thing to do. Good for
you! What a kind heart.

-Sharon

Old August 9th 03, 06:28 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Rona Yuthasastrakosol at
wrote on 8/9/03 12:12 AM:

"Rona Yuthasastrakosol" wrote in message

So, once again, what do I do now?

So, I took Stranger Cat to the vet after work today to check for a microchip
(the vet I went to doesn't charge for the service), thanks to those who
suggested it. Can you believe that she didn't have one? They even used two
different scanners and neither one found anything. She had no tattoo in her
ear, either. I did find out that she was definitely a she and about 3 years
old. Also, as Jean and Yngver suggested, she is probably (according to the
vet tech) a Himalayan, maybe mixed. The vet tech was quite surprised to see
a cat like Stranger Cat come in as a stray, and also thinks she must just be
lost. I just can't believe Stranger Kitty's humans would a)declaw her,
b)let her out (granted, it may have been an accident, but still, I would
definitely be more careful with a declawed cat), and c)not even microchip
her or tattoo her! What were they thinking?!?!?!?!? She's such a beautiful
cat and is so sweet and docile! Very affectionate, too!

Anyway, I called the Humane Society with an update (they had asked me to
find out her vital statistics to help match her up with their lost kitties
reports) but then I went out for the evening. When I got home there was a
message asking me to call back. I'm hoping this means they have her humans
waiting for her! While I love having her here (she's so beautiful! And she
loves to cuddle!), she is disrupting my cat's life somewhat and I'm starting
to feel like Kitty (my cat) is feeling very insecure and neglected. She's
much more skittish than usual and she has been very vocal. Kitty rarely
ever meows but this morning, I could hear her meow plaintively outside my
door. Poor baby! Stranger cat, btw, turned out to be a very vocal cat and
she began meowing quite loudly right after I turned out the lights to go to
bed. I think if I could introduce them (Kitty is very good with unknown
cats, as I found out at her vacation home) Kitty would feel better, but
since I don't know Stranger Cat's medical history, I don't want to risk it.

If the HS doesn't have Stranger Cat's humans, yet, I'll keep her until they
do. I'll start posting pictures of her around my neighbourhood on Monday or
Tuesday, and I've started checking the papers for any reports of lost cats
fitting her description (I hadn't even thought of that one! Thanks to all
of you who suggested it!). The HS in my area has the greatest number of
cats they've ever had right now, so I'd rather have her with me than there.
If they can't find her humans, I might just keep her. I don't know if I can
handle another cat right now (financially), but I really do like her! She
even sleeps with her head on my arm already! If I can't keep her, I'm sure
they would not have a problem finding a home for her. If I can get a
picture of her, I'll post it somewhere so y'all can see what she looks like.

Thanks to everyone for your advice! I'll keep you posted!

rona (hoping, but not sure for which result!)

Sounds promising either way! She doesn't sound like she is much trouble so
even if the owners don't show up, I bet she will integrate well. She sounds
very sweet.

Karen

Old August 9th 03, 08:01 AM
Cathy Friedmann

[...]

This doesn't surprise me particularly. Simply because I've not had my
Demelza, who is declawed (she came that way from shelter) & an indoor cat,
microchipped or tattooed despite - in her younger days - her propensity for
trying to sneak out the door.

[...]

She sounds like a sweet cat - if her owners are missing her, I hope you'll
find them. If that's not the case, then she sounds like she'll be a lovely
addition to the feline end of the family.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Old August 10th 03, 02:49 AM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

wrote in message

DON'T post pictures of this cat. Only post a description and leave out a
vital element such as the fact she is declawed. If you post a picture
anybody could say she is their cat and you won't know. You are better
off letting them provide a detail only they could know. If somebody does
come to claim her, make sure to request that they bring photos of her
with them so *you* can make sure she is the right cat.

I hadn't even thought of that. I'm so used to seeing pictures of lost cats
(unfortunately) on posters that I just assumed I would put a found cat's
picture up, too. But you're so right about being careful. You never know
what kind of nut jobs are out there.

Thanks for the advice.

BTW, I've put a picture of her up at alt.binaries.pictures.animals if anyone
wants to see her. She loves to cuddle. Her eyes are a bit dirty in the
picture but I have since cleaned them up.

rona

Old August 10th 03, 03:02 AM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Cathy Friedmann" wrote in message

This doesn't surprise me particularly. Simply because I've not had my
Demelza, who is declawed (she came that way from shelter) & an indoor cat,
microchipped or tattooed despite - in her younger days - her propensity

for
trying to sneak out the door.

I would worry about what would happen if she got loose. In my case, for
example, this whole lost kitty thing would be over with if she had a tattoo
or microchip. I would have found her owners and she'd be back in her own
comfortable home. Not that I'm not enjoying her company (because I really
like her!) but her humans must be worried (at least I hope they are, because
if they're not, I don't think they deserve to have her back) and if she had
a microchip, they wouldn't have to worry anymore!

She sounds like a sweet cat - if her owners are missing her, I hope you'll
find them. If that's not the case, then she sounds like she'll be a

lovely
addition to the feline end of the family.

My cat isn't too sure about that! She snuck into my room (pushed her way
through a not very tightly shut door) to check out Stranger Cat. Kitty was
fine, but Stranger Cat hissed and growled at her. It seemed to be very much
out of fear rather than anger, though. So, Kitty hissed back but still
continued to check her out until I realized what was going on and carried
her out. She's very curious about Stranger Cat, and I think she might be OK
with another cat in the house. For now, though, she just wants her room
back! I'm tempted to have Kitty in my room tonight and let Stranger Cat
roam the house. However, Stranger Cat may find somewhere to hide and get
lost again!

rona