My cat is drooling.

Old December 31st 03, 03:21 AM
dgk

Default My cat is drooling.

Nipsy is drooling. I looked where he was lying on the bed and it was
very wet. Really a puddle. At first I thought maybe he peed there but
that wasn't the case. His mouth was wet and he was still drooling a
bit. I checked his mouth but nothing obvious is wrong. So I went to
review old messages here and check what is said about drooling.

And what do I find? A message from me on 9/9/2003 about how my cat
Nipsy was drooling! I forgot all about that. Well, I did live through
the 1960s. A very similar occurance. Sudden rush of drooling. I took
him to the vet and had a very healthy cat. The only difference was
that he had been outside in the backyard and we speculated that he ate
something or got stung. This time he might have eaten something inside
but unlikely he got stung!

He's behaving fine; no sign of anything out of the ordinary but he did
just take a big drink at the Petmate fountain. That is not very usual
for him but I can certainly understand it. I have to mop the bed. Cold
wet nose (very wet), warm ears, again that is normal for him.

So, I'll watch him closely tonight and in the morning. Anything odd
and I take him to the vet. If he seems normal I'll just give them a
call to get their opinion. The last time I called the emergency vet
and they told me to wait until morning and see how he was. Seems like
good advice. Let's see what the morning brings us.

Old December 31st 03, 03:35 PM
dgk

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 22:21:54 -0500, dgk
wrote:

[...]

He was still dripping this morning so we went off to the vet. Nothing
apparently wrong. Got shots for anti-inflamatory and antibiotic since
he was about 1/2 degree high. Did he eat any holiday plants? No
holiday plants. Any construction in the house? No, the normal
destruction. New food? Well, they had friskies since I ran out of real
food for the last two days. Maybe that was it. Friskees bad.

So who can tell what he found to eat? Something disagreed with him.
But all seems ok pending further drooling.

Old December 31st 03, 05:03 PM
Alison

"dgk" wrote in message
news

He was still dripping this morning so we went off to the vet.

Nothing
apparently wrong. Got shots for anti-inflamatory and antibiotic

since
he was about 1/2 degree high. Did he eat any holiday plants? No
holiday plants. Any construction in the house? No, the normal
destruction. New food? Well, they had friskies since I ran out of

real
food for the last two days. Maybe that was it. Friskees bad.

So who can tell what he found to eat? Something disagreed with him.
But all seems ok pending further drooling.

Hi ,
I think you did the right thing by taking your cat to the vet . It's
better to be safe than sorry.
I did a search on Google and found a website with a little about it
http://www.vetinfo.com/cdrool.html

Alison

Old December 31st 03, 07:09 PM
dgk

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 17:03:22 -0000, "Alison"
wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
news

[...]

I was worried about the long weekend. I figured the vet would close by
the time I get home and not come back until Saturday. That would mean
a trip to the speciality vet which is $300 or so and an hour away. So,
we showed up at the vet, unannounced, at 8am. They open at 10 for
regular patients. Of course they saw him anyway. I love those guys.

Thanks for the site. I was most concerned about the liver shunt thing
since he still is, at most, 2 years old. But their description is of
generally underweight animals and Nipsy is not underweight for
anything. I would guess around 16-17 pounds. He may not be part Maine
Coon, or he may be, but he sure has the size. He's still growing. The
vet didn't really know what type he was, just that he was not a
typical DLH. I think maybe I'd better get some pictures up so people
can have a say.

Hopefully like the last time, he'll be fine in a day or so.