Female Torti Calico acting weird while in heat

Old March 6th 06, 08:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Female Torti Calico acting weird while in heat

Hi - Please don't chop my head off or anything.... BUT! I have a female
Tortoise shell Calico who is not spayed and will be 2 years old in May.

WAIT - she has an appointment tomorrow for her boosters and pre-op, she is
being spayed next week. I wanted to wait until after she was out of heat
because I heard (not sure how true it is) that her reproductive organs are
more swollen during her heat than after. I have NOT allowed her to become
pregnant. I have taken in several kitties over the years.

My question is this - Is it normal for her to "spray" while in heat? (I use
the term spray for lack of a better term.) She has been in heat several times
and has never "sprayed" anywhere, but for the past week I have been closing
doors and keeping her out of rooms to prevent her from marking anymore of
what she thinks is her territory. I thought it was Mojo, the male, but I
caught her mid-stream. My other female never did this or any other cat I have
ever had. Usually spraying is attributed to my males’ right around the six-
month old mark. I was wondering if maybe it might be an upper urinary tract
infection or something instead of her being in heat. Just curious... She is
going to the VET tomorrow; I simply would like some feedback on the behavior
part.

Thanks.
Old March 6th 06, 09:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

spincycle wrote:

WAIT - she has an appointment tomorrow for her boosters and pre-op, she is
being spayed next week. I wanted to wait until after she was out of heat
because I heard (not sure how true it is) that her reproductive organs are
more swollen during her heat than after.

Yes. Our vet recommended doing the operation when the cat is not in
heat. If the cat turns out to be in hear, they charge a little more for
it.

My question is this - Is it normal for her to "spray" while in heat? (I use
the term spray for lack of a better term.)

I don't know how typical it is, but some females do spray. Kira went
into heat twice before she was spayed. She didn't spray like a male
sprays, but she peed on my bed several times. And one of my mom's cats,
many years ago, would spray. She couldn't aim as high as a male, but
she did manage to make some vertical surfaces.

Old March 6th 06, 05:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

wrote:
spincycle wrote:

[...]

Yes, I wouldn't say that spraying during heat is typical but it's not
abnormal. If you are having her spayed next week that should be okay.
One of our cats surprised us by going into heat a week before she was
due to be spayed--she was only 5 months old--but the vet said that by
that point (a week after she started showing signs of being in heat)
the hormones would be declining and it wouldn't be a problem to peform
the surgery. She did fine but be aware it might still take a while
after the surgery for her to stop showing signs of being in heat.
-Yngver