A Cookies Recipe for Cats

Old February 8th 14, 05:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default A Cookies Recipe for Cats

I was going through some old "junk mail" when I realized I'd gotten a
Holiday Card from my local grocery store (Publix). Aside from the
really cute picture on the front of a kitty with white paws on its back
showing adorable black toesies G, it also had a recipe for homemade
cat treats.

I haven't made this and have no idea whether they'd be good for a cat or
if cats would even like them. I don't plan on making them but I figured
I'd pass it along. As written:

Savory Kitty Cookies

Prep: 45 minutes * Bake: 20 minutes

1 5-6 ounce can tuna (waterpack)
Chicken broth or fat-free milk (optional)
2 Tablespoons canola oil
1-2 Tablespoons crushed catnip
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (2 ounces)
Water (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line two large cookie sheets with foil; set
aside. Drain tuna, reserving 1/4 cup of the liquid (if necessary, add
broth or milk to measure 1/4 cup). In a small bowl, combine the tune,
the 1/4 cup reserved liquid, oil and catnip. In a medium bowl, stir
togethr all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour. Stir in tuna mixture
and cheese. If necessary, stir in up to 2 Tablespoons water just intil
moistened. Form mixture into a ball.

2. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 10-inch square.
Using a pizza cutter or a knife, cut in 1/2-inch squares (bite size for
cats). Place squares in a single layer on the prepared cookie sheets.

3. Bake on separate oven racks for 20 to 25 minutes or until light
brown, rearranging cookie sheets halfway through baking. Cool cookie
sheets on wire racks.

Storage: Place cat treats in an airtight container; cover. Store in
the refrigerator for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 6 monthes.

Makes 80 servings (about 400 cat treats). Serving size: 5 treats.
*depending on how much your cat likes catnip, you can add more or less
to the cookies (some cats don't respond to catnip).

Calories: 16kcal; FAT 1g; CHOL 1mg; SODIUM 11mg; CARB 2g; FIBER 0g;
SUGAR 0g; PROTEIN 1g; VIT A 0%; VIT C 0%; CALC 1%; IRON 1%

Jill
Old February 10th 14, 09:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

jmcquown wrote:

I haven't made this and have no idea whether they'd be good for a cat or
if cats would even like them. I don't plan on making them but I figured
I'd pass it along. As written:

Savory Kitty Cookies

Prep: 45 minutes * Bake: 20 minutes

1 5-6 ounce can tuna (waterpack)
Chicken broth or fat-free milk (optional)
2 Tablespoons canola oil
1-2 Tablespoons crushed catnip

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour

They lost me here. I wouldn't make this, because wheat flour isn't good
for cats. Not a criticism of you, Jill. But I feel the need to say this,
because a lot of people don't realize that grains aren't healthy for cats
and might be tempted to try this.

--
Joyce

What I look forward to, is continued immaturity, followed by death.
-- Dave Barry
Old February 11th 14, 09:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 20:00:18 +0000 (UTC), Bastette
wrote:

jmcquown wrote:

I haven't made this and have no idea whether they'd be good for a cat or
if cats would even like them. I don't plan on making them but I figured
I'd pass it along. As written:

Savory Kitty Cookies

Prep: 45 minutes * Bake: 20 minutes

1 5-6 ounce can tuna (waterpack)
Chicken broth or fat-free milk (optional)
2 Tablespoons canola oil
1-2 Tablespoons crushed catnip

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour

They lost me here. I wouldn't make this, because wheat flour isn't good
for cats. Not a criticism of you, Jill. But I feel the need to say this,
because a lot of people don't realize that grains aren't healthy for cats
and might be tempted to try this.

I don't go for absolutes as a rule. I'm not sure that wheat flour is
bad for cats as a rare thing. I mean, they eat wheat grass and that
doesn't seem to harm them. It's really so hard to tell because facts
are rare. But they sure eat grass whenever they go outside so there
must be something there that they like or need.

If a cat is allergic to wheat you'll find out soon enough, but mine
don't seem to be. I know all kinds of folks say that they are allergic
to wheat or gluten but according to the numbers it shouldn't be near
that high; I think folks get caught up in fads.

I used to be pretty lactose intolerant but that seems to have changed
and I can eat most of the stuff that once bothered me. Well, it never
really bothered me, mostly it bothered the people around me. But
either I'm producting more lactase or something else is different. I'm
older.

Old February 12th 14, 12:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote:

jmcquown wrote:

[...]

I did qualify before posting I don't know how good (or if) the recipe as
given is good for cats. I do know lots of people tend to avoid corn in
cat food. There's no corn in this. I wasn't endorsing it by any means.
Just posting it as a matter of possible interest.

Jill
Old February 12th 14, 04:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jane[_3_]

On Tuesday, February 11, 2014 6:42:37 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
I did qualify before posting I don't know how good (or if) the recipe as
given is good for cats. I do know lots of people tend to avoid corn in
cat food. There's no corn in this. I wasn't endorsing it by any means.
Just posting it as a matter of possible interest.
Jill

All I could think was 'Rita wouldn't eat them. There isn't a picture of a cat on the label.'
Yeah, my baby's mighty picky.

Jane
- owned and operated by the Princess Rita

Old February 13th 14, 01:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote:

jmcquown wrote:

[...]

(snippage)

I buy seeds to grow a "kitty garden" every once in a while. Persia
*loves* the barley grass, oat grass and wheat grass. She's not that
crazy about the rye. It's like this one:

http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/produc...en/182007.aspx

Jill
Old February 14th 14, 01:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

If a cat is allergic to wheat you'll find out soon enough

You may not. Two of ours have had gluten intolerance and they were
both seriously ill before we figured it out (their vets didn't).
If you don't have a convenient source of gluten-free catfood (and
the knowledge to identify it - it isn't labelled as such) you'll
never be in a position to do an elimination test, and many people
aren't.

I know all kinds of folks say that they are allergic to wheat or
gluten but according to the numbers it shouldn't be near that
high; I think folks get caught up in fads.

Gluten intolerance is not an allergy. And it's a LOT better to
play safe than risk anything from bowel cancer to schizophrenia
by missing it.

Old February 14th 14, 03:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Fri, 14 Feb 2014 00:51:06 +0000, Jack Campin
wrote:

If a cat is allergic to wheat you'll find out soon enough

You may not. Two of ours have had gluten intolerance and they were
both seriously ill before we figured it out (their vets didn't).
If you don't have a convenient source of gluten-free catfood (and
the knowledge to identify it - it isn't labelled as such) you'll
never be in a position to do an elimination test, and many people
aren't.

I know all kinds of folks say that they are allergic to wheat or
gluten but according to the numbers it shouldn't be near that
high; I think folks get caught up in fads.

Gluten intolerance is not an allergy. And it's a LOT better to
play safe than risk anything from bowel cancer to schizophrenia
by missing it.

I just looked around to see what I could find. This is pretty
interesting:

http://glutenintoleranceschool.com/g...ance-symptoms/

It's really rough to try to minimize all substances that cats could
have a problem with. Unless they are upchucking or have diarrhea, they
really don't complain much. And I have no idea how cats react to these
substances - I don't go much for grain-free cat food but aim for the
better brands. Still, I just don't know. They seem to do well on any
food (that they're willing to eat).

I just read something a few days ago about vegetarians having a life
expectancy of 84 years and meat eaters get 78. That's a big
difference, but I'm not really a fan of many vegetables. I'm trying to
compromise by eating less meat and more fruit.
Old February 14th 14, 06:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

It's really rough to try to minimize all substances that cats could
have a problem with. Unless they are upchucking or have diarrhea, they
really don't complain much. And I have no idea how cats react to these
substances - I don't go much for grain-free cat food but aim for the
better brands. Still, I just don't know. They seem to do well on any
food (that they're willing to eat).

With both our Chloe and Splodge, the issue was diarrhoea. Chloe went
quite frequently, all over the house, with traces of blood in it.
Splodge did it in one huge splatter in the bath, smelly enough that
we could tell when he'd eaten something with wheat in it the moment
we arrived home and opened the front door (the bathroom is at the
back of the house). They were both losing weight so fast they could
only have had weeks to live by the time we spotted the problem.

The usual codeword indicating gluten grains in British catfood is
"contains derivatives of vegetable origin". The makers go as far
as they possibly can to obfuscate it. Upmarket brands are not
labelled any better than cheap ones.

Old February 14th 14, 10:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Jack Campin wrote:
If a cat is allergic to wheat you'll find out soon enough

You may not. Two of ours have had gluten intolerance and they were
both seriously ill before we figured it out (their vets didn't).
If you don't have a convenient source of gluten-free catfood (and
the knowledge to identify it - it isn't labelled as such) you'll
never be in a position to do an elimination test, and many people
aren't.

I know all kinds of folks say that they are allergic to wheat or
gluten but according to the numbers it shouldn't be near that
high; I think folks get caught up in fads.

Gluten intolerance is not an allergy. And it's a LOT better to
play safe than risk anything from bowel cancer to schizophrenia
by missing it.

A schizophrenic cat????? (Given the behavior of most cats, how could
you possibly diagnose it?)