Help! My kitten is limping

Old December 17th 06, 09:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

Default Help! My kitten is limping

Still, with so many people who won't complicate their lives to take
even one cat, venom towards those who do seems a bit misplaced. I'm
quite sure the OP feels terribly about stepping on the kitty and will
try to be more careful. Let he/she who has never stepped on their
kitty cast the first hairball.

nope, never stepped on any of my cats, always very careful to look
where they are, particularly small kittens as i was told from a very
young age when my family got a kitten that they follow you around and
to be careful where you tread as you may step on kitty if you do not as
kittens may not be able to move out of the way fast enough. Was also
told horrific story by my mother of when her clumsy sister speared a
small kitten they had with a stiletto heel by stepping on it and how
her kitten had to be put to sleep (if it wasn't already dead) an that
was a tale I will never forget, certainly not the graphic way my mum
told it anyway.

I learned by someone else's bad mistake, unfortunately this individual
has had to learn by their own, just as long as they do learn that is.

Old December 18th 06, 02:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On 17 Dec 2006 12:45:15 -0800, "bookie"
wrote:

[...]

I'm always amazed at what cats will do. Just yesterday a friend is
watching TV while I'm fixing a bike wheel and suddenly I hear an
exclamation, my friend looks under his chair, and Espy has crawled
into the mechanism and is comfortably peering out. He could just as
easily gotten pinched a bit when my friend got up.

They do get places where we would never think of.
Old December 18th 06, 06:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"dgk" wrote

They do get places where we would never think of.

Yes. The thing is, they are curious and they only have those
little cat brains to work with. That is why we need to be
careful with them and what they are exposed to.

Old December 22nd 06, 01:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

"Rhonda" wrote in message
bookie wrote:
Just Me wrote:

I tried to get an appt at vet. Left mesg on their ans machine but they
never called back. It seems emergencies always happen on weekends when
it's
harder to get care for an animal or even human.

Kitty has been limping and licking/ favoring his left paw. When I try to
gently feel around it he whinces like he's in pain. This is same kitty I
wrote about here who has feline leukemia. He seems to be doing good in
that
regard, i.e. feisty, eating, etc. I did notice that the toe at the end
of
his paw seems to be pulled away from rest of paw. Is that normal?
Anyone
know what this might be.

I did accidentally step on him in the dark about two weeks ago but he
didn't
appear injured at that time. I hope I didn't break his toe.

that will teach you for being too tight to turn the lights on, you
won't be stamping around in the dark again will you?

OMG, the compassion is astounding! Must be that holiday spirit. "Too tight
to turn on the lights?" What a leap. We have cats and I don't turn on the
lights when I get up in the middle of the night. I should be jailed.

Just me, try to find a vet that's open, don't rely on the one that isn't
returning your calls. If you don't have an emergency vet around you, do
you have a PetSmart? They have Banfield vet clinics that are usually open
on weekends.

Good luck, get him some help soon. At the very least he probably needs
some pain medication.

Rhonda

Banfield isn't usually open evenings or Sundays - at least none around here
are. I wish there was a practice that did weekends other than the emergency
vets that charge you almost $100 to walk in the door and then tack on the
regular fees on top of that. Of course I also wish the cat wouldn't wait
until 10 minutes after the regular vet closes to let you know he's not
feeling well.

Old December 22nd 06, 01:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

Some of the responses to your query are ludicrous. I absolutely adore my
two furbabies, but I have accidentally stepped on toes or tails. I am
horrified when it happens, but I also know that none of us can be
completely aware of exactly where our cats are at all times. And the
suggestion that failure to turn on the light at night is somehow negligent
is ridiculous. Ignore it!

MaryL

I swore my Isabelle was deliberately trying to trip me up yesterday when I
was bringing my computer back in from the car (and it's trip to Geek Squad
for repairs). She stayed just inches in front of my feet as long as I was
carrying the tower, dang cat.

Old December 22nd 06, 02:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Outsider

"Wendy" wrote in
:

Some of the responses to your query are ludicrous. I absolutely
adore my two furbabies, but I have accidentally stepped on toes or
tails. I am horrified when it happens, but I also know that none of
us can be completely aware of exactly where our cats are at all
times. And the suggestion that failure to turn on the light at night
is somehow negligent is ridiculous. Ignore it!

MaryL

I swore my Isabelle was deliberately trying to trip me up yesterday
when I was bringing my computer back in from the car (and it's trip to
Geek Squad for repairs). She stayed just inches in front of my feet as
long as I was carrying the tower, dang cat.

WHAT is in their heads when they do this?! Zak too. "Outta the way Zak,
you're gonna break my neck and get yourself flattened"! He don't care!
Silly thing.

Old December 22nd 06, 06:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
22brix

"Outsider" wrote in message
. ..
"Wendy" wrote in
:

Some of the responses to your query are ludicrous. I absolutely
adore my two furbabies, but I have accidentally stepped on toes or
tails. I am horrified when it happens, but I also know that none of
us can be completely aware of exactly where our cats are at all
times. And the suggestion that failure to turn on the light at night
is somehow negligent is ridiculous. Ignore it!

MaryL

I swore my Isabelle was deliberately trying to trip me up yesterday
when I was bringing my computer back in from the car (and it's trip to
Geek Squad for repairs). She stayed just inches in front of my feet as
long as I was carrying the tower, dang cat.

WHAT is in their heads when they do this?! Zak too. "Outta the way Zak,
you're gonna break my neck and get yourself flattened"! He don't care!
Silly thing.

I've been feeding a feral? cat for several months--he loves my
long-suffering dog and will weave through her legs to the point where she
trips over him. I try to get between them so my poor old-lady dog doesn't
lame herself; the cat will then throw himself down right in front of my
feet, purring all the time. If I reach down to pet him he'll run a few feet
in front of me and repeat the whole process! I've almost stepped on him and
have accidently kicked him several times in the dark but he's right back for
more. I think he must have been "pre-owned" or he's simply crazy.

Bonnie

Old December 23rd 06, 01:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Outsider

"22brix" wrote in
:

"Outsider" wrote in message
. ..
"Wendy" wrote in
:

[...]

I guess they just don't realize how big we are.

Andy
Old December 23rd 06, 03:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Sat, 23 Dec 2006 12:25:28 GMT, Outsider wrote:

I guess they just don't realize how big we are.

They trust us not to hurt them.

--
Lynne