Which cat is more likely to pee on our blanket?

Old August 26th 03, 07:01 PM
Betty

Default Which cat is more likely to pee on our blanket?

Hi all,
I've posted a few messages here, and I must say that I've been very
happy with all of the help I've received in the past. So, here goes!

We have one male cat who is about 20 months old. We've had no
problems with Pico whatsoever; no peeing and no pooping outside of his
litter box.
Last week, we adopted a little girl kitten. Scratchy is 10 weeks old.
We plan to take her to the vet next week-ish, so I haven't asked them
about this behavior yet.
Anyhow, Scratchy has her own litter litter box next to Pico's and we
think both cats use their litterboxes appropriately (my boyfriend
cleans out both litterboxes daily).
However, last night we noticed pee on the underside of our blanket!
The blanket was on a made bed, but the side with the pee was kinda
dangling close to the floor (it's a big blanket). There was also a
dry patch of pee a few inches away from the wet patch. Ewww, and I
just washed the blanket! Anyhow, we think it's Scratchy who is
peeing, but we can't tell for sure. Is is possible that Pico could be
peeing there? He hangs out under the bed, but he's never peed there.
I've seen Pico looking under the bed lately when Scratchy has been
playing around there, but he's also about 3x the size of Scratchy and
I just can't picture him peeing on the blanket from underneath the bed
like that.

For now we're keeping both cats out of the bedroom, even when we
sleep. I'll also have to pick up that enzymatic cleaner I've been
hearing so much about.

Thanks for your suggestions!
Old August 26th 03, 07:18 PM
BarB

On 26 Aug 2003 11:01:01 -0700, (Betty) wrote:

[...]

You don't mention if Pico's been neutered. Sounds as if you may be
describing the marking behavior of a male, that is spraying against
vertical surfaces like the side of the bed to announce their territory.

BarB

Old August 26th 03, 07:24 PM
Sandra Loosemore

(Betty) writes:

[...]

How big is your house, and where is the litterbox in relationship to
the bedroom? Kittens that young don't have much of an ability to
"hold it", and if they don't see a box around when they've gotta go,
well, accidents are going to happen. You can help by putting a box down
in each room, or at least in each area of the house that she has
access to.

OTOH, when I tried to introduce a new cat into my household last year,
my older male cat had a couple of "accidents". It wasn't deliberate;
he's a bit of a scaredy cat and was simply so stressed out and
panicked when the new cat tried to pick fights with him that he lost
control of his bladder. In one of those cases, it was when the new
cat chased him under the bed, which is one of his normal "safe" hiding
places he escapes to when he's frightened. If you've only had the new
kitten for a week, your older guy may just be stressed out and unhappy
about it. How are they getting along?

-Sandra

Old August 27th 03, 06:04 AM
Betty

Thanks for the suggestions. I will ask about the dye when we take the
kitten in for her first vet visit.

Pico is neutered.
At first he was freaked about the new kitten, but in less than a week
he's taken to grooming her. She seems to like provoking him, like
running up from behind and jumping on him. Although, being more than
twice her size he does put her down easily!

For the most part, he ignores her. She usually approaches him.

The litter boxes are down the hall and around the corner from the
bedroom (where the three known pee stains were). We might put one in
the bedroom, but who wants to sleep with a litter box in their
bedroom?

Thanks again. I'm sure the vet will have more ideas.