need advice on stray cats

Old October 7th 04, 09:50 PM
Ann

Default need advice on stray cats

There is a mother cat and 4 kittens that have been around my neighborhood
all summer. I found out that the don't belong to anyone.The past 2 days I
have seen the mother and one of the kittens around again. I have never tried
to rescue a cat before.
Are there groups that will come and trap them? I live in Connecticut and
don't know who to call. Any advice would be appreciated.
Ann

Old October 7th 04, 11:30 PM
Steve Touchstone

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 16:50:51 -0400, "Ann" wrote:

There is a mother cat and 4 kittens that have been around my neighborhood
all summer. I found out that the don't belong to anyone.The past 2 days I
have seen the mother and one of the kittens around again. I have never tried
to rescue a cat before.
Are there groups that will come and trap them? I live in Connecticut and
don't know who to call. Any advice would be appreciated.
Ann

Frist off, thanks for caring about the cats and trying to help them.
In a lot of areas, there are groups (mostly non-profit or volunteer)
who try to rescue stray and feral cats. Unfortunately, I'm in Oklahoma
and don't know who to put you in touch with in Connecticut.

If you can't find a group in your area, would you be up for trying to
trap them yourself? Maye some of the neighbors would be willing to
help, too, depending on the neighborhood. If so, there are people on
the net, and here in this group, who can offer advice.

If you do end up trapping them yourself, you'll need to have some plan
for them. The main thing would be to get them checked out by a vet,
and neutered. A truly staggering number of offspring can be produced
from a single unpayed mama cat,
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:

Old October 7th 04, 11:58 PM
Ann

Today I say the mother cat and 3 of the 4 kittens. I was just looking at
them and thinking how hard it must be for them to to find something to eat.
The next thing I know I was in the house getting dry cat food for them and
if they have dry food then they need water. Out I go with a container with
water in it. I did see the kittens eat some of the food.
Ann

Old October 8th 04, 12:27 AM
Elise

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 16:50:51 -0400, "Ann" wrote:

There is a mother cat and 4 kittens that have been around my neighborhood
all summer. I found out that the don't belong to anyone.The past 2 days I
have seen the mother and one of the kittens around again. I have never
tried
to rescue a cat before.
Are there groups that will come and trap them? I live in Connecticut and
don't know who to call. Any advice would be appreciated.
Ann

The Connecticut Cat Rescue Web:
http://members.tripod.com/~Kirra/ind.../rescuers.html
they list shelters and rescue organizations all over Connecticut so
hopefully you can find one near you.
Good luck with the kitties!

--
Elise (supervised by Gossamer & Jeeves)
dragonandthistle at snet dot net

Old October 8th 04, 02:19 AM
Ann

Thanks for the information. I found 2 shelters near me. Kitty Angels is
where I adopted my 2 cats from.
Ann
om...

Old October 8th 04, 10:25 PM
Ann

Thanks for the advice on helping the stray cats. I talked to Sandy at Kitty
Angels today. She suggested I feed them and try to see how friendly they
are. If they are to wild there is a problem with getting them tame enough to
be adopted. She asked that I call her back in about 2 weeks. When I put put
the food out I stayed about 10 feet away and watched. They did come out from
behind the fence to get the food.
Ann