To Megan and Mary - O'Malley/Xena (long)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 17th 03, 02:05 AM
Andr0meda

Default To Megan and Mary - O'Malley/Xena (long)

Dear Megan and Mary,

Many Thanks for taking so much of your time and your trouble to help me make
my two cats friends for life.
I really appreciate all your help.
After reading your posts under "O'Malley-Hercules & Xena......." and Mary's
email, I have done some thinking.
First of all, even before that, I had no intention to allow any cat fights
if could be at all avoided. What Dr Raoul has said, I take with a grain of
salt, and I have my own modifications to his plan.
I can see many similarities in my situation to Mary's, but there are also
big differences.
1) O'Malley can't stay in an enclosed room much longer. No matter how big.
This morning he was screaming & throwing himself at the door hoping to get
out. The bathroom where he is now is a really large one, with two large
windows, scratching post and all that he needs. He used to be let outside
and this he must be missing, too.
2) Xena is the one who will probably keep distance from O'Malley at first.
She does it with new humans as well. Two years ago she spent 3 days under my
bed when my sister was visiting - she started making appearance on the third
day. This is because I have been hiding her in a rental unit for over 3
years and pets were NOT ALLOWED. There was minimal contact with outside
world for her.
How do I know what to expect from her?

This morning I have put O'Malley into Xena's cat carrier and opened the
bathroom door.
It didn't take long and Xena approached the box. She sniffed at him, gave a
long quiet hiss; then again and again. Inside the box O'Malley was
undisturbed - he has been with other cats before.
Neither was aggressive. Xena sniffed for a little longer, then walked away.
She returned twice to sniff some more - crawling and cautious. No more
hissing.
Then she disappeared.
After I closed the bathroom door and released the 'prisoner' who was totally
undisturbed and jumped onto the window to look out.
I went to look for Xena and couldn't find her. Eventually I located her in
my bed, under covers (her recent hiding spot). She stayed there for another
30 minutes until I left for work, and I believe she is still there now.

Well, Xena is not outgoing enough to make initial contact, and I think she
may just hiss or warn him off should he try to approach her at first. It may
take her a few days to come out of hiding once she knows that he is no
danger to her.

I intend to keep O'Malley in his bathroom for two more days, until Saturday
after work when I plan to release him. I will open his door a fraction
tonight and secure it with a door stopper so that he stays inside - see what
happens. I will repeat the exercise with O'Malley in the cat carrier a
couple of times. May also put Xena in my bedroom (her safe haven) and let
him run around the house first.

Please let me know what you think about all this. I simply didn't detect any
real aggression on either side while they 'met' this morning, and Xena's
hissing was far less than what I expected. I think it is time to move
forward, mainly because O'Malley really can't stay in the bathroom or any
other room much longer, although Feliway does make him a bit calmer. Today I
also obtained a treatment for him from a holistic vet, who matched it to his
specific anxiety.

I am looking forward to your replies,
Many Thanks once again,
Regards,