[Totally OT] Roku woes

Old October 14th 10, 11:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default [Totally OT] Roku woes

Christina Websell wrote:

"Adrian" wrote:

I think sales people expect too much, things that are obvious to them are
seldom obvious to their customers.

They need more training then. Never assume that anyone knows what you do.

The understanding that other people might not know everything you know is
called "theory of mind". Human beings develop this in childhood, and even
some non-human primates have this capability. If you don't have it, you
can't imagine that someone else might not know something that you know.
Unfortunately, there seem to be a number of human adults around who didn't
develop this ability properly. You ask them a question and they just dump
a big blob-o-information on you, as though *of course* you know everything
they do. It's so childish and self-centered.

Joyce

--
A conservative is one who admires radicals centuries after they're dead.
-- Leo Rosten
Old October 15th 10, 12:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Roku woes

hopitus wrote:

On Oct 14, 4:22*pm, wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

* "Adrian" wrote:

* I think sales people expect too much, things that are obvious to them are
* seldom obvious to their customers.

* They need more training then. *Never assume that anyone knows what you do.

The understanding that other people might not know everything you know is
called "theory of mind". Human beings develop this in childhood, and even
some non-human primates have this capability. If you don't have it, you
can't imagine that someone else might not know something that you know.
Unfortunately, there seem to be a number of human adults around who didn't
develop this ability properly. You ask them a question and they just dump
a big blob-o-information on you, as though *of course* you know everything
they do. It's so childish and self-centered.

Joyce

ROFL Sounds like Cricket tech support outsourced to Manila. I am fast
learnng Tagalog, LOL much easier than how my cell works.

In my experience, one doesn't need to go to Manila to encounter such
people. They've been my colleagues for decades!

--
May the great galactic kitten always purr you to sleep.
Old October 16th 10, 08:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Adrian" wrote in message

You must be quite a long way from the exchange, like my father, his speed
just reaches 1Mb/s. Last year when I was there after visiting my sister
the difference was very noticeable, she gets 10Mb/s via cable.

It wasn't that long ago that broadband was not available up here near the
fields and I was on dial-up so I mustn't complain although I do object to
paying more for up to 7mb which there is no way they can deliver.
Max I get is 1.3.
Tweed

Old October 18th 10, 04:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Adrian wrote:

Most of the wireless routers also have 4 wired ports and it's easy to
turn the wireless off. I bought a Wi-Fi router before I got my laptop so
for a while the wireless was off. I've looked at a couple of US sites
and what is available there is very different to what is available in
Europe, so I can't recommend anything you could buy.

Adrian, are you saying that there are routers that can be used as both
wired and wireless? Can you have some devices hooked up via wireless and
others via cable? That would be ideal. I'd connect the computer via the
ethernet cable, and connect the Roku via wireless, if this is possible.

Thanks,
Joyce

--
I'm in favor of animal liberation. Why? Because I'm an animal.
-- Edward Abbey
Old October 18th 10, 11:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cshenk

wrote
Adrian wrote:

Most of the wireless routers also have 4 wired ports and it's easy to
turn the wireless off. I bought a Wi-Fi router before I got my laptop so
for a while the wireless was off. I've looked at a couple of US sites
and what is available there is very different to what is available in
Europe, so I can't recommend anything you could buy.

Adrian, are you saying that there are routers that can be used as both
wired and wireless? Can you have some devices hooked up via wireless and
others via cable? That would be ideal. I'd connect the computer via the
ethernet cable, and connect the Roku via wireless, if this is possible.

Absolutely. Mine is wireless with also 4 ethernet ports.