[Sorta OT] Dust buster question

Old February 4th 08, 06:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default [Sorta OT] Dust buster question

Marina wrote:

I have a dustpan with a long handle, too. I also have a 'fake grass'
plastic rug under the litterboxes. It seems to do a pretty good job of
catching any stray litter. It has to be big enough that the cats have to
step on it with all four paws before leaving the litterbox area. If you
have a champion litter flinger, though, the rug won't be much help.

Yep, I have the fake grass thing, too. It catches a lot of litter, but
far from all of it. Somebody's a world-class flinger in my house, and
it's a covered box, too.

Joyce
--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.
Old February 4th 08, 08:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

I saw those and was really impressed as they would stop having to move a lot
of stuff. Anyone got one, the swivel sweeper I mean?
"Christine K." wrote in message
kirjoitti:
It appears that the Dustbuster is uniformly unpopular and a waste
of money. That's too bad! I just really wanted something small, easy
to handle and nearby to suck up stray pieces of litter that seem to
get flung out onto the bathroom floor on a daily basis. Given the
experiences everyone's had with them (of those who responded), it
doesn't look good, so I guess I won't waste my money on one.

I liked Ted's idea of the dustpan with the long handle. (Someone else
suggested that, too.) I might just look into that.

Thanks!!

Joyce

I'm in no way affiliated with the following product, but when you said...
errr... wrote Dustbuster, I thought of the Swivel Sweeper that's been on
local tv shops and seems to be available elsewhere too. Here's their own
website, if you care to have a look:
https://www.swivelsweeper.com/

I do not have one of those myself but they seem to be ok. My one question
would be what to do when the rechargeable battery cannot be recharged
anymore, do they have replacements, but that would prolly last as long as
it's worth anyway...

--
Christine in Laitila, Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com

Old February 4th 08, 08:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

if I were thinking of this I would get one of those mechanical brooms, so
you wouldn't be close to the litter but no batteries to deal with and you
release the litter straight into the trash. Lee
wrote in message
I just googled "dust buster" because I've never owned one and now I
want to buy one. I see that Target sells them. So I just wanted to
hear from you guys what you think of them. Every day, even after I've
vacuumed the floors, I find cat litter strewn around the bathroom
floor. I'd really like something easy to clean it up with, rather than
having to lug out the big sucky monster, disturbing the local fauna,
or sweep it up with my dustpan and broom, which isn't such a hardship,
except that it does put me in closer contact with the litter. I'd
prefer a bit more distance.

Any recommendations? Any warnings? What works best for cat litter?
What kind lasts the longest? It dosn't have to be the "Dustbuster"
name brand, although if that's the best kind, I'll get that. I just
want a small, hand-held, battery-run vacuum for the daily kitty
litter in the bathroom.

Thanks!
Joyce

--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.

Old February 4th 08, 09:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Stormmee wrote:

if I were thinking of this I would get one of those mechanical brooms, so
you wouldn't be close to the litter but no batteries to deal with and you
release the litter straight into the trash. Lee

What's a mechanical broom? If you mean what I used to call a "carpet
sweeper", well, the problem with that is inherent in the name. My bathroom
doesn't have a carpet.

Joyce
--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.
Old February 4th 08, 09:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

wrote in message
[...]

I've kept a Dustbuster on its charger near the litter box for as long as I
can remember. Charlie has a second one in the garage.

I only use the 'dry' ones. Wet messes just make those kinds of things more
work to clean than the original mess was in the first place.

Just using them for a few seconds at a time all the time does mess with
battery life. Every so often you do need to turn it on and let it run until
the battery runs down.

Jo

Old February 5th 08, 12:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Dust buster question

hopitus wrote:

I will put my champion ltterkicker up against your champ litter-
flinger any day, Joyce.

Ha - Licky is a flinger extraordinaire!

The nice thing about the long-handled little
broom and long-handles dustpan is that after "kicker" gets through,
finally (he kicks litter for about 5 minutes!) I just grab the
apparatus, "whisk, whisk" and
dump it back in box without even having to bend over.

Here's what I did: I brought the regular broom from the kitchen into
the bathroom and swept all the litter into the corner. Then I picked it
up with the regular dustpan and broom. That part required bending over,
but I didn't have to *stay* bent over trying to pick it up from all over
the floor. (Strange I never thought of doing this before...) So now the
broom lives in the bathroom.

I'm a little leery
of the fake grass under-rug deal as I fear it might give some of the
lazier felines here ideas and begin a smell-creating routine on their
part.

Actually, mine isn't made to look like grass. It's made of rubber, or
some kind of soft plastic. The "grass" is just little nubs of plastic/
rubber sticking up about 1/3 of an inch from the surface. Nobody would
actually think it was grass, so this might be different from what Marina
was talking about. But it is designed to be a mat you put right in front
of the litter box to capture most of the granules as they step out. It
would work fine if not for the flinging. I know it's Licky because when
he's in there, I can *hear* him doing it! He takes about 10 minutes to
bury his deposits.

Joyce
--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.
Old February 5th 08, 03:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

My solution to kicked out cat litter works for me but probably
wouldn't work for anyone with a bigger flat. My Dyson is stored in the
hallway just by the bathroom door so I pop the crevice tool on and run
that over without moving the4 Dyson- takes seconds even with Sarsi who
buries the evidence of her box visits as much as she can

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old February 8th 08, 03:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

hopitus wrote:
Rowdous
has even rushed in there before I close the door and in a short period
of extreme bravery, *attacked* the Dyson as it stood in silence and
nonthreatening stance, LOL.

aww, what a brave boy!