[Sorta OT] Dust buster question

Old February 9th 08, 10:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Steve Touchstone

Default [Sorta OT] Dust buster question

On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 16:34:33 +1100, "Yowie"
wrote:

I had one. It was great for cleaning up small spills - particularly wet
spills. But it was such a cow to clean, it ended up growing a colony of
something gross inside. Thats when it got chucked out.

i wouldn't get another one.

my experience echoes what seems everyone else is saying. The only one
I ever had was battery operated, and it was pretty much useless.

Now, if I could ever get the vacuum cleaner I had when i was a student, I'd
kill forit. i t was an industrial one, that was effectiley a giant moter
clipped to the top of a 20 litre metal bucket. you could suck up *anything*
9water included) and it owuld goo into the bucket rather than in the
internals of the vacuum cleaner. it was deafening, but it was a great way to
clean up spills of anything icky.

I have one of the canister Bissell vacuum/carpet cleaner and it is
great for picking up the small bits out of carpet. I originally got it
to pick up bird seed from around the cockatiel cage, but it works just
as well for kitty litter.
--
Steve Touchstone,
faithful servant of Sammy, Little Bit, Spot,

video clips at http://tinyurl.com/29o8ck
photos at http://tinyurl.com/22pfn8
Old February 9th 08, 10:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Steve Touchstone

On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 19:08:33 -0600, Ted Davis wrote:

What does work is an *effective* standup dust pan that latches in the down
position until you push down on the handle - it's trivial to sweep the
litter into it in the down position, then dump it, and only then release
the latch and hang it back up. I use a modified short, narrow broom that
came with a useless home type standup dust pan from Walmart (no latch, so
the pan tended to flip over and dump whole I was lifting it to the trash
can) - I added a pin (small nail) to keep the head of the broom from
twisting. The good pans were from Big Lots, but it was a one-off and they
haven't had them since. Janitor supply stores might have something.

I've got a couple of those cheap walmart brooms ;-) I agree they're
not the greatest for any serious type cleanup, but I keep one by each
litter box and can clean up around the box a couple times a day with
just a couple swipes.

Old February 9th 08, 02:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

Default Dust buster question

On Feb 7, 12:16*pm, hopitus wrote:

Rowdous
has even rushed in there before I close the door and in a short period
of extreme bravery, *attacked* the Dyson as it stood in silence and
nonthreatening stance, LOL.

When Speedy Joe was a kitten we had a very cheap old sucky monster
that my mum gave me and it used to get very hot so before putting it
away we'd leave it out to cool down. Speedy Joe hated the sucky
monster and would run when we got it out but afterwards he would sit
there waiting for it to cool down then attack it while it was "asleep"

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old February 17th 08, 08:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

wrote:

[...]

My parents have an ancient Bissel brand carpet sweeper which came with them
when the emigrated from England to Australia. Like quite a few other English
words that never made it to the Australian lexicon, I quickly learned that
saying "Quick, get the bissel" if something dry got spilled was *not* an
understandable phrase in Australian. I also have to remember to say Yo-gurt
and Pro-ject (with the o sounding like 'oe' as in "Hoe") in Australian
rather than how I used to pronounce them, "Yog-urt" "Proj-ect" in English
(with the o sounding like hte o in 'dog').

I lost my English accent years ago (probably within a year of going to
school here) but sometimes I still get caught out saying the wrong word or
pronuncing the right word incorrectly.

Yowie