How can you love some cats, but not all?

Old April 5th 05, 06:56 PM
Mary

"Meghan Noecker" wrote

in message ...

When I was in college, I took the buses out to the university. My job
is less than a mile away, so I walk to work on the afternoon and get a
ride home at night.

I rent my parent's basement, so that makes it easier. With 3 cats and
a dog, I haven't been able to find a good place that would give decent
space and a yard, for a price I can afford. So, I have cheaper rent
and invest in my small business - pet photography. It works well. My
parents are retired, and they like to travel, so I am there to take
care of my mom's animals. She used to have cats, and she still has
dogs and turtles, plus she feeds birds, squirrels, and raccoons. They
can leave for a month and know that the animals are all fine.

When I have errands to run, I just wait until somebody else needs to
go somewhere. Now that my nephew has a license, I can just borrow him.

When I go to horse shows and cat shows, I need a helper anyway, so
that's no problem.

It sounds like a great set-up for everyone, Meghan!

Old April 6th 05, 05:00 AM
kitkat

Meghan Noecker wrote:

Smells - well, if it is the air, I am most likely allergic to it.
Except cats! But I am allergic to my dog

Wow! There *is* someone else out there like me!! I am allergic to
dogs...like VERY allergic...but not to cats! I *am* sensitive to cats,
especially to Jasper and I think it could just be the siamese
breed...but I am not nearly as allergic to cats as I am to dogs. Most
people think this sounds absurd. On a scratch test, I do test positive
for cat allergies...but they dont really bother me that much and seem to
be fairly well controlled with meds. I just switched to Zyrtec and am
VERY happy with it.
Old April 6th 05, 05:52 AM
Mary

"kitkat" wrote in message
m...
Meghan Noecker wrote:

Smells - well, if it is the air, I am most likely allergic to it.
Except cats! But I am allergic to my dog

Wow! There *is* someone else out there like me!! I am allergic to
dogs...like VERY allergic...but not to cats! I *am* sensitive to cats,
especially to Jasper and I think it could just be the siamese
breed...but I am not nearly as allergic to cats as I am to dogs. Most
people think this sounds absurd. On a scratch test, I do test positive
for cat allergies...but they dont really bother me that much and seem to
be fairly well controlled with meds. I just switched to Zyrtec and am
VERY happy with it.

Zyrtec made me feel overmedicated so I switched to Claritin and
it works great for cat, dust and mold allergies. I am more allergic
to Buddha than to Cheeks for some reason.

Old April 6th 05, 11:26 AM
Meghan Noecker

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 04:00:30 GMT, kitkat
wrote:

Meghan Noecker wrote:

Smells - well, if it is the air, I am most likely allergic to it.
Except cats! But I am allergic to my dog

Wow! There *is* someone else out there like me!! I am allergic to
dogs...like VERY allergic...but not to cats! I *am* sensitive to cats,
especially to Jasper and I think it could just be the siamese
breed...but I am not nearly as allergic to cats as I am to dogs. Most
people think this sounds absurd. On a scratch test, I do test positive
for cat allergies...but they dont really bother me that much and seem to
be fairly well controlled with meds. I just switched to Zyrtec and am
VERY happy with it.

I'm allergic to dogs, but not cats. My brother and my nephew are both
allergic to cats and not dogs. My mom is allergic to both.

This particular allergy is either minor, or I have just gotten used to
it. I have a stuffy nose in the morning since the dog sleeps on my
bed. And it gets worse when she is shedding bad. I have to remember to
wash my bedding more often.

And I learned my lesson. Never brush the dog on the bed, and not
change the bedding. It took me 2 days to figure out why I was sick and
getting worse (as I laid in the bed with the dog fur on it). Duh. I
forgot I was allergic to my dog.

--
Meghan & the Zoo Crew
Equine and Pet Photography
Old April 6th 05, 01:33 PM
kitkat

Mary wrote:
"kitkat" wrote in message
m...

Meghan Noecker wrote:

Smells - well, if it is the air, I am most likely allergic to it.
Except cats! But I am allergic to my dog

Wow! There *is* someone else out there like me!! I am allergic to
dogs...like VERY allergic...but not to cats! I *am* sensitive to cats,
especially to Jasper and I think it could just be the siamese
breed...but I am not nearly as allergic to cats as I am to dogs. Most
people think this sounds absurd. On a scratch test, I do test positive
for cat allergies...but they dont really bother me that much and seem to
be fairly well controlled with meds. I just switched to Zyrtec and am
VERY happy with it.

Zyrtec made me feel overmedicated so I switched to Claritin and
it works great for cat, dust and mold allergies. I am more allergic
to Buddha than to Cheeks for some reason.

Claritin wasn't doing the job for me. I've been on Allegra, Claritin and
now Zyrtec. Zyrtec has definitely given me more relief. According to the
allergist, it is not unusual to be more allergic to one cat than
another. It depends on their dander and how much dander they throw.
Old April 6th 05, 01:35 PM
kitkat

wrote:

Meghan Noecker wrote:

Smells - well, if it is the air, I am most likely allergic to it.
Except cats! But I am allergic to my dog

Wow! There *is* someone else out there like me!! I am allergic to
dogs...like VERY allergic...but not to cats! I *am* sensitive to cats,
especially to Jasper and I think it could just be the siamese
breed...but I am not nearly as allergic to cats as I am to dogs. Most
people think this sounds absurd. On a scratch test, I do test positive
for cat allergies...but they dont really bother me that much and seem to
be fairly well controlled with meds. I just switched to Zyrtec and am
VERY happy with it.

I'm allergic to dogs, but not cats. My brother and my nephew are both
allergic to cats and not dogs. My mom is allergic to both.

I think we are in the minority. Most people, if allergic, tend to be
either allergic to cats AND dogs or JUST cats. I have not come across
many who are allergic to dogs and not cats. Maybe we are extra special?

This particular allergy is either minor, or I have just gotten used to
it. I have a stuffy nose in the morning since the dog sleeps on my
bed. And it gets worse when she is shedding bad. I have to remember to
wash my bedding more often.

Yeah, of course the allergist recommends keeping the cats out of the
bedroom altogether. But I just cant. There is nothing sweeter than
Jasper sleeping with us or Luna coming in and out all night to sniff us.
Old April 6th 05, 05:47 PM
Mary

"kitkat" wrote in message
om...
Mary wrote:
"kitkat" wrote in message
m...

Meghan Noecker wrote:

[...]

Well, I might be back on Zyrtec because as you know, allergies change.
It just wired me out--I felt dehydrated and shaky and head buzzy all the
time. Right now, the Claritin achieves the goal--to feel normal just not
have allergy symptoms. I'm glad the Zyrtec works for you.

Old April 6th 05, 07:15 PM
Mel

"Meghan Noecker" wrote in message
On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 19:18:45 GMT, "em"
wrote:

Most of my vegetarian friends do not eat cheese, so they would be really
pressed if they were in the US! And just salad is not acceptable.

And I thought we were always behind the times here

I work in the deli department where we serve hot american food and
chinese food.

The only non-meat hot food items a

jo-jo potatoes - deep fried potato wedges
cheese sticks - deep fried cheese
poppers - deep-fried jalapeno peppers with cream cheese
onion rings - deep fried onions

steamed white rice
vegetable stirfry
vegetable egg rolls - deep fried

Not much to choose from, and the only items that are somewhat healthy
are the steamed rice and vegetable entree, assuming you like that. We
don't get many vegetarians, but most are pretty disappointed with our
limited selection.

Wow! I would starve there! I don't care for steamed rice, can't stand deep
fried items unless just french fries. LOVE mixed vegetables, ginger, garlic
(which have been stir fried first) in black bean sauce on rice, with a side
of vegetarian salad rolls (rice noodle, bean sprouts,ginger etc. wrapped in
rice paper and steamed, with peanut sauce............I prefer using soy,
yummmm.)

Then there a lot of variations, many which use tofu, and have sauces such as
curry, satay, mushroom, ginger, garlic......oops, I think I am
drooling...........etc. I much prefer the whole grain and wild rice. White
rice cannot even begin to compare.

There are many many more dishes, I cannot even begin to describe!

Melody

Old April 7th 05, 04:36 AM
Meghan Noecker

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 12:35:18 GMT, kitkat
wrote:

Yeah, of course the allergist recommends keeping the cats out of the
bedroom altogether. But I just cant. There is nothing sweeter than
Jasper sleeping with us or Luna coming in and out all night to sniff us.

Yes, the doctor said I should not have dogs in my room. I was 5 years
old at the time, and I had a dog sleeping on the bed. Fortunately, my
mom, who is allergic to both dogs and cats, saw no reason to remove
the dog. Since then, I gave gone from short haired to long haired
dogs. I want a fluffy dog, and I will accept the consequences.

--
Meghan & the Zoo Crew
Equine and Pet Photography
Old April 7th 05, 04:44 AM
Meghan Noecker

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 12:33:18 GMT, kitkat
wrote:

Claritin wasn't doing the job for me. I've been on Allegra, Claritin and
now Zyrtec. Zyrtec has definitely given me more relief. According to the
allergist, it is not unusual to be more allergic to one cat than
another. It depends on their dander and how much dander they throw.

Clariton did nothing for me. I haven't tried the others. I actually
tried something else, non-prescription that has worked better for me.

It is called Nasal Guard. It is similar to vaseline, and you apply it
to the outside of your nose. It is supposed to keep you from inhaling
the various allergens. The whole thing sounds hokey, but I emailed the
company and they sent me a sample. My allergies were really bad at the
time, so I tried it expecting nothing to change, and I was much
improved. My sister, whose allergies are better than mine, complained
about her allergies being bad, but I felt great.

The allergies aren't completely gone, and I do have to remember to
apply it 2-3 times a day, but it does work. Less blowing and sneezing.
I have expecially noticed it when I am at horse shows. I am allergic
to dust, and i Have to stand out in the arena while the horses pound
by, sending up the dirt. I am also allergic to hay and other plants.
So, I used the Nasal Guard there every hour to keep the allergies
down.

I don't know if it is available in stores yet. I bought mine online
from the company's website.

The main website is:

http://www.nasalguard.com/

I don't know if this free sample offer is still available. It is
certainly worth a try. My sample lasted me a few weeks, and it
definitely made a difference.

http://www.nasalguard.com/freesample/request.asp

--
Meghan & the Zoo Crew
Equine and Pet Photography

Grant RIP Karen Cat anecdotes 91 March 5th 05 05:08 PM
rec.pets.cats: Norwegian Forest Cat Breed-FAQ Bjorn Steensrud Cat Information 0 October 29th 04 05:24 AM
rec.pets.cats: Traditional Siamese Breed-FAQ Laura Gilbreath Cat Information 0 October 29th 04 05:23 AM
Scapegoats and Feral Cats James Marz Cat health & behaviour 4 May 29th 04 03:06 AM