Strange story...opinions please

Old January 25th 04, 06:30 PM
AJ

Default Strange story...opinions please

Hello everyone, I am posting this here because I am totally stunned,
and distraught and in need of some input from fellow animal(cat)
lovers.
I brought my 6 year old tabby in to the vet on December 17th because
she was not eating and vomitting up bile, and was basically lethargic.
after about 5 days at the vets office he told me she was a very sick
cat and her blood work as well as US revealed kidney and liver
problems. He stated that she was not reponding to antibiotics, or IV
fluids, and wanted to continue with more tests.
At this point my husband and I decided to have her put to sleep. Our
bill was already escalating, and there was no improvement. Let me just
stress that this was an EXTREMELY difficult decision to make. Our four
kids were also extremely attached to her, most of all our six year old
daughter.
It has been five weeks now and my daughter is still crying over her
death.
Anyway we adopted our kitty from the humane society at 10 weeks, where
she was microchiped before leaving. Well yesterday I received a call
from the humane society saying that they had my cat there! I explained
the situation, and she asked me to describe our cat. After describing
her I was asked to come in right away.
When I arrived I was shocked at what I saw, it was my cat Abby!
Supposedly some woman dumped her off along with two other cats. The
woman claimed she had been given to her by a friend. Her belly was
shaved and her leg. The woman said that the cat was vomitting so she
brought her to the vet, where all testes came back negative. I have
been an emotional wreck for the past 24 hours. I mean we have all been
grieving her passing. We even set up a memorial with a picture I had
taken of Abby and lit candles around it daily.
Anyway I went in today and brought her home, the hardest part was
trying to explain to our kids that she was not actually dead, that the
vet lied!
What do you all think of this? I am stunned. I tried calling the vet
but his answering service refuses to call him, they say this is not an
emergency.
I cant for the life of me figure this one out.
What do you all think?

AJ
Old January 25th 04, 06:46 PM
Karen Chuplis

in article , AJ at
wrote on 1/25/04 12:30 PM:

[...]

that is the most bizarre thing I've ever heard. How is she doing? Does she
seem to be getting better? Have you asked the vet about it?

karen

Old January 25th 04, 07:51 PM
Judy F

This is the strangest story I've ever heard. The first thing I think you
should do is present all the evidence to the vet and see if there's some
explanation (lord knows I can't think of one). If the vet gives you any
trouble, I'd call the local veterinary society or licensing board and make a
complaint! He really owes you an explanation.
Judy F

"Christina" wrote in message
OMG.....I would be at his office first thing Monday morning demanding to
know what happened, why he lied and that if he does not reimburse you for
all of your expenses he will face a very fat lawsuit and possibly lose his
license....my God your poor daughter. I can't even imagine this happening
to us. This is all assuming that the vet that you brought your cat to is
the one who so called "put her to sleep" right?

Christina

--
http://www.geocities.com/chrissy_1228/ourkittycats.html
"Karen Chuplis" wrote in message
in article , AJ at

Old January 25th 04, 08:09 PM
MacCandace

I agree, this is unbelievable strange. Is your cat feeling better than when
you last saw her? Hss she lost weight? Please, don't ever take her in to that
vet again no matter what lame excuses he comes up with. It seems to me as
though he should lose his license for this. I agree, I would go in there
Monday a.m. (without your cat, of course) and demand to know what his
explanation is. But regardless of what he says, very soon after, I would be
calling the veterinary board, whatever the name of it is in your state, and
reporting this moron. It almost seems as though he sells cats off to labs or
something even more sinister but I can't imagine that he would get much money
for one cat. Please keep us posted on this. You need to find a much better
vet. I agree, the original vet should refund you everything you paid him in
the hopes that you will not report him. Get the $$ back and then report him
anyway. He is either very creepy or he's got some bad office help that
snatched the cat. Maybe someone in his office didn't feel she should be
euthanized and kidnapped her but then gave her to someone else. This is just
conjecture, of course.

Meanwhile, I hope little Abby can be cured and go on to live many more years
with you. I'm sure she has had a very strange last few weeks. If only she
could talk.

Please keep us posted on what develops here. It's a good thing you had her
microchipped but who knows what is happening to other cats who were not so
fortunate.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)

Old January 25th 04, 08:25 PM
Sherry

Hello everyone, I am posting this here because I am totally stunned,
and distraught and in need of some input from fellow animal(cat)
lovers.
I brought my 6 year old tabby in to the vet on December 17th because
she was not eating and vomitting up bile, and was basically lethargic.
after about 5 days at the vets office he told me she was a very sick
cat and her blood work as well as US revealed kidney and liver
problems. He stated that she was not reponding to antibiotics, or IV
fluids, and wanted to continue with more tests.
At this point my husband and I decided to have her put to sleep.

That is so bizarre. The only explanation I can think of is the vet really felt
the cat had a chance with the further testing and didn't want to euthanize her.
One of our vets won't euthanize a healthy, adoptable cat--he brings them to us
for a chance at adoption. But of course, your cat wasn't healthy, and our vet
*informs* the owners of what he wants to do, and does so with their consent.
You've just got to call the vet ASAP and demand an explanation. Please keep us
posted.
Sherry

Old January 25th 04, 08:58 PM
Cathy Friedmann

This is *extremely* strange. You're absolutely sure this is one & the same
cat, right? Via microchip, her markings, etc., etc. I take it you were not
present when she was euthanized & did not see her body post euthanasia?

Too, too weird.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

om...