GASP

Old December 7th 06, 02:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

Default GASP

"cybercat" wrote in message

"Wendy" wrote
I handle all the kittens born here. I have to when I clean up the crate
they are living in. The one Mom had only been here two days before she
had her litter. As long as she didn't lose site of them she was fine with
me picking them up.

I remembered that you had dealt with lots of kittens when I conveyed your
advice to Barry. He definitely intended to move them to a better spot last
night before he went to bed. His first instincts, at least in this case,
were
good.

Yea, lots of kittens. I went from having 3 foster to 15 last night. Got two
moms and their kittens. Both had 6 kittens but the one already had lost two
of them before we got her inside. The surviving kittens have respiratory
infections - not horrible but are doing a fair amount of sneezing. We think
her people moved away and left her behind.

Old December 7th 06, 04:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

Wendy wrote:

I handle all the kittens born here. I have to when I clean up the crate they
are living in. The one Mom had only been here two days before she had her
litter. As long as she didn't lose site of them she was fine with me picking
them up.

When it's a first litter by a young Momma cat (like this one) sometimes
she will become really upset if you move them. I have never seen a cat
reject them but I have heard of Momma cats abandoning the nest after it
was moved.

IMO it's better to wait at least 48 hours after birth before you touch
them or move the nest. A lot of the time she will just move the nest
back to where she had them anyway.

-L.

Old December 7th 06, 06:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"-L." wrote

IMO it's better to wait at least 48 hours after birth before you touch
them or move the nest. A lot of the time she will just move the nest
back to where she had them anyway.

I was worried, as was Barry, because they were in the box spring.
He could have tried to sleep on the corner of the bed, but if he
tossed and turned when he slept, he could have hurt or killed them.

Old December 7th 06, 07:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mlbriggs

On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 08:16:58 -0500, cybercat wrote:

"Rhonda" wrote in message
Wendy wrote:
"Terry" wrote in message

Don't touch them. [...]

Why don't you want him to move them? If it were my box spring, the
kittens would be out of there and in a box with clean towels in the back
of a closet already. [...]

I agree, our cat allowed us to pick them up and help get them all comfy.
Heck, we even helped dry them off! She completely trusted us and she had
only lived with us for 2 weeks.

Cats have litters in strange places. We had the mom in one room and had
four comfy areas set up for her, and she had them between a box and a wall
where she could hardly lay down herself.

We got them settled into a safe place and then let them alone for awhile.

Talked to Barry last night and read him Wendy's advice and last I heard he
intended to move them gently into a cozy box with some clean towels near
one of Jupiter's favorite spots. He still had not disturbed them at about
midnight, so he was not sure how many there were, but from eyeballing
the boxspring thought it looked like three or four. Which would be a lot
better than six! Jup was purring any time he even touched the boxspring,
so she appears to have come through labor just fine. I want to see them!!
Maybe we will get some pictures soon.

I hope he slept on the couch or in a recliner. MLB

Old December 7th 06, 07:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

"cybercat" wrote in message

"-L." wrote

IMO it's better to wait at least 48 hours after birth before you touch
them or move the nest. A lot of the time she will just move the nest
back to where she had them anyway.

I was worried, as was Barry, because they were in the box spring.
He could have tried to sleep on the corner of the bed, but if he
tossed and turned when he slept, he could have hurt or killed them.

That was my concern as well. If they had been somewhere he could seen them
and in a location where they could stay for a while I would have told him to
let her do her thing too. OTOH if you don't/can't see momma, you can't tell
if she's acting normally and there is always the risk that something isn't
as it should be - retained placenta or something like that.

That said, Barry shouldn't be alarmed by some slight bleeding for the next
few days to a week. As long as she's just spotting that's normal - another
good reason to get her out of the box spring. It could get a little ripe in
there in a short time.

Old December 7th 06, 07:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Charlie Wilkes

On 6 Dec 2006 18:37:20 -0800, "2oz" wrote:

Charlie Wilkes wrote:

Congratulations, pops. Get your web site ready. I understand why
people are adamant about the need to spay/neuter, but I also think
sagas like this one are fun.

Charlie

yeah, but as I say, overpopulation is a matter for the gov't not the
people
WE should take a deep breath, I have just relieved all of you from a
false
burdern.

This is very cool, I love it!

but look, I could easily transfer them from under the box spring...
into a box... without ever touching them...

I could easily cut a square... from around them (as they sit on the
underlining)
and transfer them.. without touching them

Im fixing to slide jupiter some water...

but Mat is right, I shouldn't bugar them up you know...
i used my cell phone glow to peek in on them
that way it's not a bright light.

Yeah. Give it a few days, or a couple of weeks... whatever. In no
time you will have photogenic kittens to stream on the Internet.

You will get laid out of this deal if you play your cards right.

Charlie

Old December 7th 06, 07:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Charlie Wilkes

On 6 Dec 2006 23:14:37 -0800, "-L." wrote:

2oz wrote:
THEY'RE HERE! THE KITTENS ARE HERE TONIGHT

I came home from work, chatted with Lucy and started to look for
Jupiter.

I heard 3 or 4 Jupiters saying.. "meeee meeee meeee" lol

I had to find them! No, I hadn't made her a box yet... I had no idea
she was ready to give birth,

Why does that not surprise me...

She crawled up in my box spring and had them... I haven't counted them
yet..
BUT I did peek in.. looks like mostly black.. but one had tabby stripes
on it's widdle weg..

oooo I can't wait!...

uh.. thanks for yall support

Barry is now chronicling a doomed litter of kittens. From conception,
to birth and every heartbreaking event from now on. You and I both know
what's next.

I've fostered litters and I'm sure many of you have too. They will
start to stink and he'll get tired of them and either turn them
outside, or if they're lucky, he'll take them to a shelter long before
they are old enough.

Cheer up, Lyn. I think they might have pretty good prospects. This
group likes to have a project. Cybercat is already sending food.

Charlie

They'll never see a vet. Then the ones he does keep - if any - will
get knocked up and he'll start the same, ugly cycle again. All because
he thinks it's "cute" and full of "life".

Anyone have a puke bucket handy...?

-L.

Old December 7th 06, 07:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Charlie Wilkes" wrote :

Cheer up, Lyn. I think they might have pretty good prospects. This
group likes to have a project. Cybercat is already sending food.

I've sent Barry and his cats food on several occasions, this is nothing new.
What the hell, it'll be a double investment if the kittens get him laid.

Old December 7th 06, 07:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Charlie Wilkes" wrote

Cheer up, Lyn. I think they might have pretty good prospects.

How's Tweakers?

Old December 7th 06, 07:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

"cybercat" wrote in message

"Charlie Wilkes" wrote :

Cheer up, Lyn. I think they might have pretty good prospects. This
group likes to have a project. Cybercat is already sending food.

I've sent Barry and his cats food on several occasions, this is nothing
new.
What the hell, it'll be a double investment if the kittens get him laid.

Warn us next time you say something like that I am going to need a new
keyboard ;-)

wiping a mess off the monitor and keyboard