Put Amoxil Drops on food?

Old December 5th 03, 01:55 AM
Kirk Is

Default Put Amoxil Drops on food?

So, the vet prescribed amoxil for the kitty. Who really doesn't
enjoy the eyedropper-in-the-mouth treatment. Is there any medical
reson not to just apply the medicine to her food? I can't imagine
her not eating it...

--
QUOTEBLOG: http://kisrael.com SKEPTIC MORTALITY: http://kisrael.com/mortal
"Stupid people see beauty only in beautiful things."
Old December 5th 03, 12:52 PM
Kirk Is

Kirk Is wrote:
So, the vet prescribed amoxil for the kitty. Who really doesn't
enjoy the eyedropper-in-the-mouth treatment. Is there any medical
reson not to just apply the medicine to her food? I can't imagine
her not eating it...

Oh, and any advice on making the eyedropper in mouth method easier
would be appreciated as well, though i think that that's always
going to be a rough sell...

--
QUOTEBLOG: http://kisrael.com SKEPTIC MORTALITY: http://kisrael.com/mortal
"My stomach says no but my sick carny sense of humor says yes..."

Old December 5th 03, 03:52 PM
Dennis Carr

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 01:55:46 +0000, Kirk Is wrote:

So, the vet prescribed amoxil for the kitty. Who really doesn't
enjoy the eyedropper-in-the-mouth treatment. Is there any medical
reson not to just apply the medicine to her food? I can't imagine
her not eating it...

Probably not, as it will alter the flavor.

The droppers are also not efficient - my vet gave us oral syringes for
administering clavamox and cephalexin (sp), I would suggest seeing if you
can get those.

--
Dennis Carr - | I may be out of my mind,
http://www.dennis.furtopia.org | But I have more fun that way.

Old December 6th 03, 02:26 AM
Christine Burel

"Kirk Is" wrote in message
So, the vet prescribed amoxil for the kitty. Who really doesn't
enjoy the eyedropper-in-the-mouth treatment. Is there any medical
reson not to just apply the medicine to her food? I can't imagine
her not eating it...

--
QUOTEBLOG: http://kisrael.com SKEPTIC MORTALITY:

http://kisrael.com/mortal
"Stupid people see beauty only in beautiful things."
--Oliviero Toscani quoting Dadaist Saying

Well, I was faced with trying to give my former feral (still a work in
progress!) this stuff and what I did was get some Yoplait custard vanilla
yogurt and put it on a spoon and then place the amoxidrops next to it. In
the process of licking the yogurt off, he got some of the medicine, too, got
used to the added flavor (I also kept adding the yummy vanilla yogurt to the
spoon, too, so if he wanted the yogurt he had to put up with the meds.) and
I was lucky enough that he ate it all that way. I did have to keep adding
the pink stuff to the spoon; wouldn't go down in one dose this way. At the
end he got more of the pure vanilla yogurt. I was very grateful it worked
out; hope it will for you, too.
Christine

Old December 6th 03, 05:52 PM
Kirk Is

Thanks for the feedback.
We went ahead and mixed it in to the half wet/half dry we've been
told to give her lately, and she seems to be fine with it. We'll keep
an eye out to make sure she continues finishing it, but it sounds like
people here don't think there's any problem with the arrangement, so
long as the stuff gets eaten...

Thanks again! I'm glad to not have to wrestle w/ Denali anymore
(though by the third or fourth time, she seemed a little more ok
with it, still it was obviously not her first preference...)

--
QUOTEBLOG: http://kisrael.com SKEPTIC MORTALITY: http://kisrael.com/mortal
"The Wonder Twins had the right idea. I defy you to think of any crisis