Two Lost Cats

Old December 9th 03, 05:30 AM
wildwestcats

"Cat Protector" wrote in message news:udtAb.31922$Gj2.26042@okepread01...
Apparently there are now two stray cats in my complex that have seemingly
been alone for a while. One is a Calico and the other is a long haired black
cat. The management approached me about helping these two cats but I am
limited on funds but they have allowed me to start a fund raising/donation
drive to help these cats. A collection jar is being posted in the complex
office so I can get these two cats to a vet and hopefully get them checked
out. What bothers me is how people can just let these two cats go to fend
for themselves. One of the complex people is worried because we have kids in
this complex and they were not sure that the kids would harm these felines.
Has anyone else here had neighbors and such contribute to helping cats they
didn't know? As far as these two cats go, I have yet to see them but offered
to chip in the first couple of dollars to help these cats.

CP,

I just wanted to say thank you for trying to do what you can with
these cats. I volunteer with a rescue here in the Valley (we do
E-list rescue) but when you work with one organization, you tend to
get a feel for what's going on in the "community."

Maybe the situation is different here in the Phoenix area than it is
in the rest of the country but I just want to make sure that people
are aware of a few things:

1. Just because you volunteer with a shelter/rescue, does not
necessarily mean that you can draw upon their resources!
2. All the rescues/shelters in this area that I'm familar with are
*constantly* working at capacity and sometimes over. You can call
them and explain the situation until you're blue in the face. As much
empathy as the shelter volunteer has for your situation and whether or
not the cat is a stray or owner turn-in, it won't create open space.
3. Sometimes you can't take cats in yourself because of your own
situation! I know I couldn't take in a stray - my situation (with the
cats themselves and just in general) simply won't allow it.

I think all any of us can do is what we can, to the best of our
ability. I know a lot of times it doesn't seem like nearly enough.

CP - you might want to try contacting Friends for Life
(http://www.azfriends.org/), if you haven't already. I'm sure they're
at capacity, too, but they may be able to direct you somewhere else
that you haven't thought of.

Also, have you thought of posting a "Home Needed" notice at your vet
or the local PetsMart/Petco?
Old December 9th 03, 05:36 AM
Sherry

You know I grow tired about how rightous Sherry thinks she is. I have been
contacting quite a few shelters to see if these cats can be placed.

Sigh. You don't get it. Your window of opportunity is *now*. Trap those cats
before they disappear forever, or are killed.
Yes, this is constructive advice. It's called stepping up to the plate and not
depending on shelters to do it all. Keep them in your bathroom a few days if
you have to until permanent arrangements can be made, but *please* do something
instead of just talking about it. Those cats' lives may very well depend on
you.

Sherry

Old December 9th 03, 06:41 AM
Cat Protector

NP. I love cats and it is my hope to save as many as possible. Friends For
Life was one of the ones contacted but I don't believe they have room. I
understand all too well that just because you help a shelter you can't
always draw upon their resources. I know one that switched their policy on
strays and was informed that they now takes cats from Animal Control's New
Hope Program and the even the Arizona Humane Society. This was one of the
shelters Cat Galaxy works with and we hope to establish relationships with
others around the Valley. It saddens me that so many will just dump their
cats off to fend for themselves. The two I mentioned were reported to me by
the apartment complex management and they stated that the cats have been on
their own for quite a while. One of them apparently for the last two years.
I am remaining optomistic though in getting the two felines to a shelter. I
am still awaiting word from a couple of them to see if they have space for
these felines.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com