Worried Mum

Old February 27th 05, 10:32 PM
\kls\

Default Worried Mum

Hi everyone, I'm new to posting so please be gentle with me.

We adopted Milly from the RSPCA in November and she is going to be spayed on
Tuesday. She's 6 months old and (I know I am biased) she's gorgeous!

I'm really worried about the op. It's like when my daughter went on her
first trip from Nursery School - I'm going to be pacing about until I get
the call to pick her up.

The vet nurse says we have to keep her in overnight once she comes home (she
hasn't been out yet so that's not a problem) and to give her a light meal.
But I don't know what to expect once we get her home.

Any tips to aid her comfort and recovery would be very welcome.

A couple of pics are he-

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ale.../ph//my_photos

Old February 27th 05, 10:38 PM
Mary

"kls" wrote:
Hi everyone, I'm new to posting so please be gentle with me.

We adopted Milly from the RSPCA in November and she is going to be spayed on
Tuesday. She's 6 months old and (I know I am biased) she's gorgeous!

I'm really worried about the op. It's like when my daughter went on her
first trip from Nursery School - I'm going to be pacing about until I get
the call to pick her up.

The vet nurse says we have to keep her in overnight once she comes home (she
hasn't been out yet so that's not a problem) and to give her a light meal.
But I don't know what to expect once we get her home.

Any tips to aid her comfort and recovery would be very welcome.

A couple of pics are he-

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ale.../ph//my_photos

Oh, wow, what a beautiful little tuxedo girl!! She is totally gorgeous.
The spay will not be a big deal. The vet will probably tell you to keep
her from being too active in the few days after, but is she is like my
cats were she will not feel much like leaping around anyway. Certainly
keep her in at all times until she heals. We have had some people come
in here and talk about their cats getting infected after the surgery,
but that seems rare. Still, keep an eye on the incision and monitor how
Milly seems to be feeling and at the first sign of any infection or
abnormality take her right back to the vet. Most spays go very smoothly,
though. Her little tummy will be shaved, and if the vet does not keep
her overnight or all day after the surgery she may be groggy. Otherwise
she ought to be fine and best of all, no more heats! Good for you for
taking care of her.
Old February 27th 05, 10:44 PM
Priscilla Ballou

In article ,
"\"kls\"" wrote:

Hi everyone, I'm new to posting so please be gentle with me.
We adopted Milly from the RSPCA in November and she is going to be spayed on
Tuesday. She's 6 months old and (I know I am biased) she's gorgeous!
I'm really worried about the op. It's like when my daughter went on her
first trip from Nursery School - I'm going to be pacing about until I get
the call to pick her up.
The vet nurse says we have to keep her in overnight once she comes home (she
hasn't been out yet so that's not a problem) and to give her a light meal.
But I don't know what to expect once we get her home.
Any tips to aid her comfort and recovery would be very welcome.
A couple of pics are he-
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ale...h&store=&prodi
d=&.done=http%3a//uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

Oh, my God! She is so cute! She looks like a fuzzier version of my
Francis! He was neutered a month ago and came through just fine,
although it's a much simpler operation for boys.

I have never known a cat to die during spay/neuter surgery. OK, it may
happen, but it must be rare because I've never known anyone who had a
cat who did. That may or may not ease some of your anxiety.

About when she gets home: I'm sure the vet will give you full
instructions. If she doesn't get absorbable sutures, you'll be taking
her back post-surgery to have them taken out, so she'll be checked on
then. When my Caley was spayed (an early spay at 12 weeks), she didn't
let it slow her down much. She did have a little pinkness and
tenderness around the incision, which we watched, but it went away.

Good luck, and please keep us posted.

Priscilla
--
"And what's this crap about Sodomites? It's always Sodomites this and
Sodomites that. What about us Gomorrahians? We were there too; we
Old February 27th 05, 11:48 PM
\kls\

"Priscilla Ballou" wrote in message
In article ,
"\"kls\"" wrote:

[...]

Thank You Mary and Priscilla for your prompt replies - you have made me feel
a bit better. I'll let you know how she (and I) get on.

Karen )

Old February 28th 05, 01:03 AM
Mary

"\"kls\"" wrote:

[...]

You're welcome. I'll keep you and Milly in my thoughts and best wishes
for a safe surgery and speedy recovery. Thanks for sharing the photos, I
loved seeing Milly. I also have a tuxedo cat! Do let us know how things
turn out.
Old February 28th 05, 03:12 AM
Rhonda

We kept our kitties in one room for a few days after the spay so they
had less chance of running around while they were supposed to be quiet.

We had 2 sets of 2 females spayed at different times. The ones who did
the best were the ones who had pain medicine afterwards. The 2nd set was
done in a clinic and they did not send us home with anything. Cats do
really well with this surgery, but it is fairly painful afterwards, just
like it would be for a human. I would ask for pain meds for your cat.
Ours was in liquid form and we just mixed it into their food.

Good luck!

Rhonda

Old February 28th 05, 03:12 AM
William Hamblen

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 22:32:52 -0000, "\"kls\""
wrote:

The vet nurse says we have to keep her in overnight once she comes home (she
hasn't been out yet so that's not a problem) and to give her a light meal.
But I don't know what to expect once we get her home.

Cats recover from the operation quickly. The cat feels better than
she really is; therefore, you need to keep her where she can't jump or
climb at least until you take her back to the vet to get her stitches
out. Watch for unusual swelling or a discharge from the wound. The
vet will give you a page of care instructions. The operation is not
as serious for a four legged cat as it is for a two legged woman.

Old February 28th 05, 04:30 AM
.oO rach Oo.

A very charming kitty and very beautiful.

When my girls were spayed, I was a worried mum just like yourself. In both
instances, my worries were unfounded. I opted for the laser surgery which
made the recovery process a lot faster. All in all, it's a lot harder on
the kitty parent than it is on the kitty.

All in all though, as long as the kitty is kept fairly quiet for about a
week. No jumping and wildness and I think the cat will take the rest from
there. Baby her a little and she and nature will do the rest.

--
..oO rach Oo.

Old February 28th 05, 05:53 AM
mlbriggs

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 22:32:52 +0000, "kls" wrote:

Hi everyone, I'm new to posting so please be gentle with me.

We adopted Milly from the RSPCA in November and she is going to be spayed on
Tuesday. She's 6 months old and (I know I am biased) she's gorgeous!

I'm really worried about the op. It's like when my daughter went on her
first trip from Nursery School - I'm going to be pacing about until I get
the call to pick her up.

The vet nurse says we have to keep her in overnight once she comes home (she
hasn't been out yet so that's not a problem) and to give her a light meal.
But I don't know what to expect once we get her home.

Any tips to aid her comfort and recovery would be very welcome.

A couple of pics are he-

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ale.../ph//my_photos

She is a lovely little girl. Just give her peace, quiet and privacy
--like you would like yourself after an operation. She will let you know
when she wants attention.
Old March 1st 05, 02:28 AM
Chris Dutton

"kls" wrote:
Hi everyone, I'm new to posting so please be gentle with me.

We adopted Milly from the RSPCA in November and she is going to be spayed on
Tuesday. She's 6 months old and (I know I am biased) she's gorgeous!

I'm really worried about the op. It's like when my daughter went on her
first trip from Nursery School - I'm going to be pacing about until I get
the call to pick her up.

The vet nurse says we have to keep her in overnight once she comes home (she
hasn't been out yet so that's not a problem) and to give her a light meal.
But I don't know what to expect once we get her home.

Any tips to aid her comfort and recovery would be very welcome.

A couple of pics are he-

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ale.../ph//my_photos

Beautiful little girl you have there. I think it made my 2 girls even
more cuddly than before after the spay.

Both of them tried to walk as soon as they were home. If it wasn't so
sad, it would be funny, as they look drunk when they walk. Neither of
mine wanted anything to do with rest at first, but gradually fell sound
asleep after a few hours.