Conan Is Home :)

Old July 19th 05, 08:06 PM
Jean B.

Dan M wrote:

Why not take this opportunity to explain what happened between
the time you promised us you would pick him up, then lied to
us about picking him up? I had always seen you as an upright
guy. Do you actually believe that I would have made threatening
calls to you when you were doing me a favor for which I had
never stopped expressing my deep gratitude?

And why would I do that? So you can warp my words again?

If you will reread my previous posts you'll see that I never claimed you
made threatening calls. I said that I had received threatening calls, and
I never identified who they were from. In fact, I don't know who they
were from, and I frankly don't want to know. All I need to know is that
it was a sick and twisted individual.

Honestly, Dan, I just want to understand. I trusted you, as did Tracy,
Rhonda, and Charlie. And I have given you no reason to suggest that I do
not care about cats, particularly about Conan/Dylan in particular. I
have merely been trying to get you to explain your actions. I think
everyone, including me, actually wants you to have had good reasons to
betray us, or to think that you had. Because not one of us did a thing
but spend time and effort trying to save that cat. Just tell the
truth--people just want to understand.

No, I don't think they do. I think they *want* to get enraged and they
*want* to act like flaming assholes. Many of the people who have posting
on this topic must be mentally deranged to post the crap they do. You are
a prime example - replying to somebody's posts and adding your comments as
if they were sent by the original poster? That's underhanded, deceitful,
and inexcusable.

The fact of the matter is that I will never apologize for anything I have
to do to insure the safety of myself, my family, or my animals. If I have
to tell a minor untruth to get some twisted psycho off my ass and away
from my loved ones, then you better believe that's exactly what I'm going
to do. When someone makes physical threats against me, I take it
seriously. Even when it's done over Usenet or by some twisted coward who
hides behind anonymous phone calls.

Anyway, that being said, and making the (perhaps erroneous) assumption
that at last one reader of this groups is really interested in what has
been happening with Conan/Dylan (Dylan is really a much better name - he's
definitely not a "Conan"), here it is: I left for the shelter to get the
cat. While on the freeway I got a call from some twisted psycho sack of
s**t who said offered up some threats if I followed through on picking up
the cat. The only people who knew when I was going to be on the road to
the shelter were a small group I had been exchanging e-mail with. Whether
the call came from someone in that list or just someone acquainted with
someone on that list is impossible to determine. Either way, it meant that
I wasn't going to have anything to do with anyone in that e-mail group.

I knew of other people interested in finding Conan a good home, so I
picked him up and worked with them to find the cat a good home. Not a
"good enough" home, but a good home. He had to spend about a week in a
boarding kennel, the rest of the time he was at my house with my cats.
During the time he was in the kennel I made about every-other-day trips
out to visit and play with him, and the staff allowed him out of his
enclosure every day. He was not in a steel cage, he was in a
nicely-appointed enclosure with lots of room and a comfortable place to
sleep. During that time we looked into several "good enough" homes, but
held out for something really appropriate. We have now found that.

There, now, is the complete story of Conan/Dylan. If you really and truly
care about cats and if your only concern through this whole episode was
only Conan's well-being, then let the issue drop. Conan was always well
cared for, he did not have to endure long days in stell cages, and he is
in a nice, comfortable house. That is, I believe, the goal that everybody
had been spouting. Since that goal has been realized, you no longer have
any reason to spew your venom, crosspost like an idiot, and make
harrassing posts.

Dan

Finally. The truth. That is what we wanted. You could have
saved many people lots of grief if you had spoken up sooner.

--
Jean B.
Old July 19th 05, 08:09 PM
Mary

"Dan M" wrote in message
news
Why not take this opportunity to explain what happened between
the time you promised us you would pick him up, then lied to
us about picking him up? I had always seen you as an upright
guy. Do you actually believe that I would have made threatening
calls to you when you were doing me a favor for which I had
never stopped expressing my deep gratitude?

And why would I do that? So you can warp my words again?

If you will reread my previous posts you'll see that I never claimed you
made threatening calls. I said that I had received threatening calls, and
I never identified who they were from. In fact, I don't know who they
were from, and I frankly don't want to know. All I need to know is that
it was a sick and twisted individual.

Okay, but what does this have to do with your breaking your promise
to us? And if you did not think it was me, then how are the threatening
calls any explanation for why you purposely and viciously led us to
believe you were picking him up for us, then lied and said you never
picked him up at all? If you are not implying that I had something
to do with the alleged threatening calls, then we are back at square
one. We had an agreement, and you lied to all of us. The question is,
why? That is what I want to know. It cannot be because you thought
the cat was going to Charlie. You knew I was waiting for Greg to
email me back about Conan, and you fully expected to take Conan
to San Diego. So why did you lead us to believe you would do this,
and then lie to us?

[...]

It was a joke, and totally transparent at that. And, it smoked you right
out, which is what I wanted to do. All I want is a believable explanation
for what you put me, Tracy, Rhonda and Dan--along with others--through
over what should have been a simple and straightforward rescue.

The fact of the matter is that I will never apologize for anything I have
to do to insure the safety of myself, my family, or my animals.

Okay. So somehow you felt you would be endangered if you kept
your promise to us? This does not follow at all. We were all singing
your praises. This makes no sense, Dan. And, in fact, I am not asking
you for an apology. I am asking you for an explanation for why you
volunteered your help, then needlessly lied to us all. You have not
addressed that.

If I have
to tell a minor untruth to get some twisted psycho off my ass and away
from my loved ones, then you better believe that's exactly what I'm going
to do.

Okay--who is the psycho? Are you saying that someone called
you to tell you that if you helped us rescue Conan/Dylan that
they would hurt you or your family? Is this what you are saying?
And if it is, why wouldn't you be able to email us and say, "Listen,
folks, I would love to be able to help you, but I just got this call, and
now I am afraid to." That is what any normal person would have done.
Why didn't you do that, if that is really what happened?

When someone makes physical threats against me, I take it
seriously. Even when it's done over Usenet or by some twisted coward who
hides behind anonymous phone calls.

Tell me this: what was the threat that was made that let you know that
it was okay to go and get Conan and put him in a cage for weeks,
rather than get him for us and take him to a wonderful home in
a matter of days? How did you know from these alleged
"threatening calls" that it was okay for you to get the cat
for Monica but not for the four people you had promised
to? And doesn't this point more toward Monica or someone
else being the person who threatened you?

Anyway, that being said, and making the (perhaps erroneous) assumption
that at last one reader of this groups is really interested in what has
been happening with Conan/Dylan (Dylan is really a much better name - he's
definitely not a "Conan"), here it is: I left for the shelter to get the
cat. While on the freeway I got a call from some twisted psycho sack of
s**t who said offered up some threats if I followed through on picking up
the cat. The only people who knew when I was going to be on the road to
the shelter were a small group I had been exchanging e-mail with. Whether
the call came from someone in that list or just someone acquainted with
someone on that list is impossible to determine. Either way, it meant that
I wasn't going to have anything to do with anyone in that e-mail group.

So you are saying that the only people associated with the cat groups
to whom you gave your cell phone is myself, Tracy, Rhonda, and
Charlie? Because this is the only way that your assumption might make
sense.

I knew of other people interested in finding Conan a good home, so I
picked him up and worked with them to find the cat a good home. Not a
"good enough" home, but a good home. He had to spend about a week in a
boarding kennel, the rest of the time he was at my house with my cats.

I see. All you had to do was tell us this. How on earth would you have
ever come to believe that any of us who wanted you to save Conan
would threaten you? This just makes no sense to me.

[...]

Well, yes. I will indeed let it drop. But I want you to put yourself in
our places. If you had care enough to put all this thought into helping
this cat, and had not done anything wrong at all, just to be betrayed
as you betrayed us with no explanation--you would at least want an
explanation. You handled this thing very badly--but I am left with the
impression that I was not wrong to trust you. I was wrong to trust you
to draw the right conclusions regarding any threatening calls you may
have received. It is ludicrous that you blamed us, the very people who
were relying upon your help. That said, if stupidity were illegal, the
already overcrowded prisons would indeed be in trouble.

Thank you, Dan, for finally coming clean. I am sorry you had to go
through this. In the future, use your head. You had no reason to
believe that any one of Conan/Dylan's well wishers would hurt
you. And above all, be honest. There is rarely a reason for a good
person to lie. And I do think you are a good person.

Old July 19th 05, 08:37 PM
Dan M

Okay, but what does this have to do with your breaking your promise
to us? And if you did not think it was me, then how are the threatening
calls any explanation for why you purposely and viciously led us to
believe you were picking him up for us, then lied and said you never
picked him up at all? If you are not implying that I had something
to do with the alleged threatening calls, then we are back at square
one. We had an agreement, and you lied to all of us. The question is,
why? That is what I want to know. It cannot be because you thought
the cat was going to Charlie. You knew I was waiting for Greg to
email me back about Conan, and you fully expected to take Conan
to San Diego. So why did you lead us to believe you would do this,
and then lie to us?

Sorry, I've explained once, in what I believe is quite adequate detail. If
you can't understand what happened from what I wrote, then no amount of
further explanation is going to help you puzzle it out.

It was a joke, and totally transparent at that. And, it smoked you right
out, which is what I wanted to do. All I want is a believable
explanation for what you put me, Tracy, Rhonda and Dan--along with
others--through over what should have been a simple and straightforward
rescue.

A joke- yeah, right. I'm still compiling a complete record of your
messages to and about me, in case they should become needed. I don't find
threats funny, as I should have made VERY CLEAR by now!

Okay. So somehow you felt you would be endangered if you kept your
promise to us? This does not follow at all. We were all singing your
praises. This makes no sense, Dan. And, in fact, I am not asking you for
an apology. I am asking you for an explanation for why you volunteered
your help, then needlessly lied to us all. You have not addressed that.

Damn it, woman, I have so! You're just too damned dense to understand it,
apparently. I volunteered because I wanted to help a cat in trouble, and
that's exactly what I did. I just didn't do it with you or your
associates. So what's the problem? Conan got saved, so why are your
knickers twisted now?

Okay--who is the psycho? Are you saying that someone called you to tell
you that if you helped us rescue Conan/Dylan that they would hurt you or
your family? Is this what you are saying? And if it is, why wouldn't you
be able to email us and say, "Listen, folks, I would love to be able to
help you, but I just got this call, and now I am afraid to." That is
what any normal person would have done. Why didn't you do that, if that
is really what happened?

Since you have no idea what was said, your suppositions mean nothing.

Tell me this: what was the threat that was made that let you know that
it was okay to go and get Conan and put him in a cage for weeks, rather
than get him for us and take him to a wonderful home in a matter of
days? How did you know from these alleged "threatening calls" that it
was okay for you to get the cat for Monica but not for the four people
you had promised to? And doesn't this point more toward Monica or
someone else being the person who threatened you?

The nature of the thrat is none of your business. And Conan was not in a
cage for weeks. I've said that clearly and plainly a bunch of times, but
you still seem incapable of grasping that simple concept. And no, Monica
didn't threaten me because she didn't have my cell number.

So you are saying that the only people associated with the cat groups to
whom you gave your cell phone is myself, Tracy, Rhonda, and Charlie?
Because this is the only way that your assumption might make sense.

That is EXACTLY what I am saying!

I see. All you had to do was tell us this. How on earth would you have
ever come to believe that any of us who wanted you to save Conan would
threaten you? This just makes no sense to me.

I'm not even going to answer this. I've answered it so many times before
that I've grown tired of repeating myself. Would anybody else try to give
it a try?

[...]

And please use your head as well. What could have possibly lead you to
believe that spewing the venom you've been dispensing so freely recently
could in any way be justified? You are either a hateful woman or an
immature one.

Old July 19th 05, 08:37 PM
whitershadeofpale

"Dan M" crosspost like an idiot, and make
harrassing posts.

Dan

You Big Bald Pussy!

You still don't have the guts to tell the truth!

I GUARAN****INTEE YOU NEVER GOT ONE HARRASING CALL, NOT ONE!!!

its a muther****in lie and you know it!

Big pussy ass! Scared to tell the truth because your ASHAMED!

Your ashamed because you did ****ty!

You shoulda ****in known ****in better

AT THIS POINT? THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE

JUST REMEMBER THIS, THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE.

Old July 19th 05, 08:38 PM
whitershadeofpale

"Philip" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Mary" wrote in message

"Dan M" wrote in message
news

Monica's entire agenda was that you did not get the cat. All that
money, all those devastating hits to her reputation, just to
achieve that--when the fact is, you stepped forward because
nobody else would, and told us that if we could find a local
home to send him there.

No, Monica's entire agenda was to be sure that the cat was placed into

an
*appropriate* home. That might be hard for you to understand, but some
people really do care about what is best for cats.

[...]

Mary, guaranteed you will not like the answer.

Shut the **** up, you old drag

Old July 19th 05, 08:39 PM
whitershadeofpale

"Philip" wrote in message
k.net...

"Mary" wrote in message

"Charlie Wilkes" wrote in message
On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 15:01:26 GMT, "Philip"
wrote:

"Charlie Wilkes" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 02:49:43 GMT, "cmtowle" wrote:

The relentless net sleuthing, the negative spins, the threats, and

the
outrageous theories you came up with would be laughable if a cat's

future
had not been at stake.

Who are you trying to kid with this pious horse****? Cats get

killed
and plowed into landfills every day, by the thousands. What makes

any
one of them more important than all the rest?

If you really cared about cats, you'd save your pennies for the ones
nobody else is interested in. You just want to be the center of
attention.

Charlie

Charlie. Your moments of sophistry, such as the one above, are

evolving
from an occasional fault to a regular feature.

It ain't my sophistry, brother. I borrowed it from the moralizing
baboons with whom you have encamped yourself. Monica is all worked up
about how a cat's future is at stake. I'm trying to put that concern
into some kind of realistic context.

Philip is not encamped with Monica. She has some very nasty things
to say about him in email. She was as concerned as all of us were
about Philip's abandonment of Conan/Dylan. But she offered nothing
until Charlie stepped up to the plate and offered to adopt him.

Prove it Mary.

She don't owe you gotdamn thang!
WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU

I hope I hope I hope

Mary sues your tail for antagonizing her during this wholet thing.,

Old July 19th 05, 08:39 PM
whitershadeofpale

"Dan M" wrote in message
news
While I am thrilled to see that Conan (aka Dylan) is in his
new home, I am appalled at what happened here. Lots of folks,
myself included cared about this cat. Mary had things set up
so he would be homed quickly and had leads on 2-3 good homes.
Then you came along and interfered. Conan was in a cage
when he didn't have to be. We were lied to. All of us who
had an emotional investment in this feel really betrayed and
let down by you and Dan--well, I guess I shouldn't put words
into anyone else's mouth, but that is what *I* feel.

Read the details. Conan was not kept in a cage. Mary has been blathering
that he was, but that's just Mary. I think everybody has figured out by
now that she's a mental defective who can't be believed.

Mary had leads on 3 potential homes, none of which stood up to the degree
of scrutiny required of a decent kitty home. Instead Conan found a home
with someone REALLY able to care for him.

Monica didn't interfere. She offered a solution when Mary's "solution"
proved inadequate.

Well it was so many lies on the table.

And you still haven't told the truth.

But you will!
Oh yes you will!

Old July 19th 05, 08:45 PM
Dan M

Well it was so many lies on the table.

And you still haven't told the truth.

But you will!
Oh yes you will!

Can you say "plonk"?

Old July 19th 05, 08:47 PM
whitershadeofpale

"cmtowle" wrote in message
As promised, a final update to let everyone who is interested know that
Conan (now "Dylan" which we thought a more gentle name) has indeed been
homed with wonderful cat-loving humans and a feline friend. He is a loving
and lovable kitty lapping up all of the attention and affection he is
getting.

To those who had the courage to post and/or e-mail their continued support
and who offered to help in so many ways, thank you. You continued to trust
that we were doing everything right to ensure a great life for this cat.
That mattered to us.

In contrast, the degree of hostility displayed by others in this forum

was,
to put it mildly, astonishing. It is difficult to understand how the

feeling
of betrayal that some of you voiced could get confused with what truly
mattered - this cat's rescue and well-being. One would have thought that
knowing he was safe and very well cared for would have been cause for

relief
and happiness rather than a launching pad for the malicious glee exhibited
in post after post. It became very clear that this cat's best interests

had
long stopped being the priority for several of you who had been involved

in
"planning" his rescue.

As to the homes you declared as good options. We disagree. In my world,
doing harm to an animal is never acceptable as a source of humour or in
order to provoke others, regardless of the player/s. Defensiveness related
to legitimate queries is also not a good way to begin a plea for adopting

an
animal. And contrary to yet another misinterpretation posted ad nauseam,

it
was never simply about "square footage". Cats can be successfully homed in
small, but feline-friendly spaces. I have done it. Specific configuration,
stimulating environment, outdoor-space safety, and vertical space are just
some of the relevant variables to be considered. Decisions made in haste
because they are convenient are rarely good ones and when defenceless
animals are involved, it would be inexcusable to not be cautious.

The relentless net sleuthing, the negative spins, the threats, and the
outrageous theories you came up with would be laughable if a cat's future
had not been at stake. So many of you not only conveniently chose to
"overlook" things that were posted but, in effect, fuelled the fire

because
"the right party" was behind them. My principles are not dependent on who

is
or is not involved.

I, and those who made Dylan's rescue happen, know he was happy, safe, and
very well-cared for every step of the way. Ultimately, that is all that
truly matters.

Monica is telling the truth. Nothing is a lie.
Dylan is is Dan