Kitten season is over at my animal shelter

Old August 27th 08, 02:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Kitten season is over at my animal shelter

At the shelter where I've been volunteering, there have been fewer and
fewer bitty litters brought in over the past few weeks, so the director
of the Kitten Nursery has declared that the nursery will close at the
end of this month. Newborn kittens can be cared for by regular staff,
now that there aren't so many coming in as to overwhelm them.

I've had a fun time with it. Last night was my last shift for this year,
and I stayed well beyond the end of the shift playing with some very
rambunctious 3-month-olds. Yes, that does seem a bit old to be in this
nursery, which usually has kittens under 4 weeks, but I guess they must
have had some problem which kept them there for so long.

2-3 months is my favorite age for kittens. They're old enough to relate
to the human who's playing with them, yet they're still young enough to
be *insane*. Last night I played "towel cave" games with them, "rattle
the paper" (one kitty got the hugest black eyes from that - I'm sure she
though the paper was alive), and good old "attack the human hand." Yeah,
I know, I shouldn't, but who can resist? If I had an enormous house, I'd
have gone home last night with 3 new kittens.

I have decided to move on into the adult cat room as a volunteer. I
need to sort out my schedule with the director of the cat room volunteers,
because the shelter closes to the public at just about the time I usually
leave work. The staff is there for another hour after closing, cleaning
up, etc. I'm hoping that once a week I can go there from 7-9. I met
another cat TLC volunteer there recently at about 8:45 - she was sitting
in one of the "get acquainted" rooms with a cat and it didn't seem like
she was going anywhere soon. She does volunteer there later hours so
she thought I'd be able to work something out. I sure hope so. I used
to do adult-cat TLC 7 years ago and it was very rewarding. Those adult
kitties *really* appreciate the company and attention!

--
Joyce ^..^

Old August 27th 08, 12:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep ©

wrote:
[...]

I'm sure that they will allow volunteers in after normal business hours.
our local shelter (run by the city) doesn't open until 12noon, but it
is always fully staffed and functioning by 8am - and volunteers are
there as well, cleaning litterboxes, mopping floors, walking dogs, and
playing with all the critters too.

her wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY
Old September 4th 08, 10:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

wrote:
At the shelter where I've been volunteering, there have been fewer and
fewer bitty litters brought in over the past few weeks, so the director
of the Kitten Nursery has declared that the nursery will close at the
end of this month. Newborn kittens can be cared for by regular staff,
now that there aren't so many coming in as to overwhelm them.

snip
I have decided to move on into the adult cat room as a volunteer. I
need to sort out my schedule with the director of the cat room volunteers,
because the shelter closes to the public at just about the time I usually
leave work. The staff is there for another hour after closing, cleaning
up, etc. I'm hoping that once a week I can go there from 7-9. I met
another cat TLC volunteer there recently at about 8:45 - she was sitting
in one of the "get acquainted" rooms with a cat and it didn't seem like
she was going anywhere soon. She does volunteer there later hours so
she thought I'd be able to work something out. I sure hope so. I used
to do adult-cat TLC 7 years ago and it was very rewarding. Those adult
kitties *really* appreciate the company and attention!

We hope you can too.
Best wishes,
Polonca and Soncek