Winter Dandruff

Old November 17th 13, 05:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Winter Dandruff

Persia's got dandruff. Down her back towards the base of her tail.
It's typical for this time of year as the weather cools.

I brush her frequently. When I see lots of dandruff in her pretty grey
fur I spritz her with an emulsion spray called Duoxo. It was
recommended by her vet back in Tennessee and I bought it from him, but
you don't need a prescription to buy it. Ostensibly it's for treating
seborrhea.

Persia doesn't get upset about being spritzed because it's a really fine
mist and doesn't soak her fur. She enjoys the brushing afterwards. It
really does seem to soothe the dry skin and stops the dandruff.

No, this is not a commercial and I'm not paid to advertize it. But it
works. I don't know about you but I use lotion to keep my skin
moisturized. Why not do the same for a cat with dry skin?

A few years ago my neighbor mentioned Schwartizie had dandruff. I
mentioned Duoxo to her. The next time (probably the last time) I
cat-sat I spotted a bottle of it in the cabinet with the cat food.

Jill

Old November 18th 13, 12:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 11/17/2013 7:30 PM, Jack Campin wrote:
Persia's got dandruff. Down her back towards the base of her tail.
It's typical for this time of year as the weather cools.

I brush her frequently. When I see lots of dandruff in her pretty grey
fur I spritz her with an emulsion spray called Duoxo. It was
recommended by her vet back in Tennessee and I bought it from him, but
you don't need a prescription to buy it. Ostensibly it's for treating
seborrhea.

What's in it?

According to the bottle (and the web site):

"contains phytosphingosine 0.2%, moisturizing and film-forming agents
and green tea fragrance."

The web site further elucidates:

"Properties: Phytosphingosine is a natural component of the epidermis.
It plays a key role in the building and maintenance of the skin defense
barrier. Local administration helps restructure the stratum corneum,
regulating the seborrhea. The other micro-emulsion components are
soothing, help improve skin moisture and provide coat protection."

All I know is it works. She doesn't seem as "itchy" or feel the need to
groom her lower back as frequently. The moisturizing effect on her skin
definitely results in less dandruff in her pretty grey fur.

Jill
Old November 18th 13, 07:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

You're lucky Persia will LET you squirt anything on her! Cendrillon, My
black & white short-hair, gets dandruff near the base of her tail,
especially in our desert winters, but it doesn't seem to bother her
particularly, so I just ignore it. (It's difficult enough to medicate
my girls when they really NEED it!)
Old November 18th 13, 08:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

~~~~~~~~
How old is Cendrillon? When Holly reached about 17 years, she started to
develop a lot dandruff near the base of her tail (but not in other areas).
That part of her fur also started to look a bit "scraggly" when compared to
the rest of her beautiful coat. My vet told me that older cats often have a
difficult time grooming in that area. Just like people, they simply are not
as flexible as they were when they were younger. He pulled out a small
plastic flea comb and started to gently comb her. He got an amazing amount
of dandruff and dry-looking fur from just that area above the tail, and she
looked beautiful after he completed the task. So, I took one of the flea
combs home with me and started to do that on a routine basis. Holly did not
have fleas--just dandruff and accompanying dryness in that area, land the
flea comb solved the problem. Perhaps that would be a good experiment to
try on Cendrillon since she apparently would not let you try Jill's
solution.

MaryL

Old November 18th 13, 09:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 11/18/2013 3:55 PM, MaryL wrote:

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

I don't really know how old Persia is. I'm guessing 15 or so. But this
spritz works. It seems to hydrate her skin so it's not as flaky. And
yes, as she's getting older her fur is a little more "scraggly".

It's quite possible it's only be me who is concerned about the dandruff.
I think she looks much prettier without it. The spritz (it's a very
fine mist) doesn't soak her fur. Not like dunking her in a bathtub.

Jill
Old November 19th 13, 12:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

~~~~~~~
Yes, I understand, and the spritz sounds good. I was really trying to refer
that suggestion for Cendrillon because Evelyn indicated that she probably
would not tolerate attempts to medicate her. Like you, I was concerned when
Holly started to develop dandruff in the area above her tail, so that's when
I took her to TED for his recommendations.

MaryL

Old November 19th 13, 11:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

Persia's got dandruff. Down her back towards the base of her tail.
It's typical for this time of year as the weather cools.
I brush her frequently. When I see lots of dandruff in her pretty grey
fur I spritz her with an emulsion spray called Duoxo.

What's in it?

According to the bottle (and the web site):
"contains phytosphingosine 0.2%, moisturizing and film-forming agents
and green tea fragrance." [...]
All I know is it works.

Interesting. Phytosphingosine seems like an important chemical for
humans as well, but nothing I've read suggests using it on the skin.
This could end up being medically relevant.

Old November 19th 13, 04:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 11/19/2013 6:25 AM, Jack Campin wrote:
Persia's got dandruff. Down her back towards the base of her tail.
It's typical for this time of year as the weather cools.
I brush her frequently. When I see lots of dandruff in her pretty grey
fur I spritz her with an emulsion spray called Duoxo.
What's in it?

According to the bottle (and the web site):
"contains phytosphingosine 0.2%, moisturizing and film-forming agents
and green tea fragrance." [...]
All I know is it works.

Interesting. Phytosphingosine seems like an important chemical for
humans as well, but nothing I've read suggests using it on the skin.
This could end up being medically relevant.

When I look up phytosphingosine it brings up many links, much of which
have to do with skin care. That makes sense since Duoxo is recommended
for use in cats and dogs with seborrhea or psoriasis.

I don't think Persia has seborrhea, just cooler weather dry winter skin.
My neighbor complained about Swartzie having itchy bumps on his back
towards the base of his tail. And yes, dandruff in his black fur. So I
mentioned Duoxo and suggested she ask the vet. Next thing I knew she
had some in the kitty-cabinet.

Jill
Old November 19th 13, 09:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

MaryL wrote:

~~~~~~~~
How old is Cendrillon?

Somewhere around seven or eight, I think - however, she's always had the
dandruff, although it maybe got a bit worse after we moved to Arizona.
Forget the flea comb - where my gals are concerned, brushes and combs
are anathema! (But thanks for the suggestion.)

Cat Dandruff jmcquown[_2_] Cat anecdotes 12 July 13th 11 02:32 PM
Dandruff jmcquown Cat anecdotes 5 October 2nd 07 09:53 PM
Kitty dandruff? Karen AKA Kajikit Cat anecdotes 12 August 9th 06 05:18 PM
Cat Dandruff andy749 Cat health & behaviour 5 October 1st 05 04:14 AM
Dandruff? Christina Cat health & behaviour 45 January 18th 04 03:00 PM