A Pair of Cat's Names

Old May 4th 07, 08:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

Default A Pair of Cat's Names

On May 2, 1:44 pm, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

Christina Websell wrote:

It means what I said in the first place and is not a fit name for a
male cat unless you want to make a fool of him. You are aware of this
so I'm not sure why you suggested it to an American, who isn't.

Maybe an American cat wouldn't mind, then?

As smart as cats can be, I would not expect any cat to know or care what
that name means. And even if they did know, cats are not cursed with
human
uptightness about body parts, so I doubt it would matter. So I wouldn't
worry about the name's "fitness" for a cat. Especially considering, as we
have been over the past couple of days of this thread, that quite a few
*human* males sport that name!

And if the cat DID know the meaning, it would probably add a certain
swagger to his walk! (Especially if he were neutered, so his male ego
needed bolstering.)

I don't agree with naming pets with such names, neither do I like birds
being taught to swear.
They are innocent. It's a shame on us to insult them like this. IMO.

So what? If it amuses the human, and the animal doesn't
know the difference? (Not everyone defines "insult" as you
do, you know.) You really should be less inclined to assume
your own preferences are universal, and allow for different
points of view. (I'm sure no cat, bird, dog, nor other pet
gives a tinker's damn what humans choose to call it, or what
that name means in "human-speak".)- Hide quoted text -

I agree with Christina. I absolutely hate it when people name their
cats
vulgar words. It just isn't right. I always changed their names when
cats
come into the shelter like that--keeping with rhyme just in case the
cat knows
his name. "Booger" became "Sugar" and "Snot" became "Spot." (Not the
least
reason being, I thought a name like "Snot" might be off-putting to
a potential adoptor)

Sherry

Old May 4th 07, 08:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

ups.com...
wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

Oh, thank goodness someone understands. Thanks, Sherry.

Tweed

Old May 4th 07, 11:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Christina Websell wrote:

Christina Websell wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

Christina Websell wrote:

I don't agree with naming pets with such names, neither do I like birds
being taught to swear.
They are innocent. It's a shame on us to insult them like this. IMO.

Do you worry that some harm might come to the animal, as a result of the
name or (in the case of a parrot) the swearing? That is, that someone
would
get hostile because of those things and take it out on the animal? I've
never heard of any such incidents, but there are certainly some highly
strung individuals who would not be hard to set off. But then in that
case,
I wouldn't want my animals anywhere near that person no matter what their
names are. There are nutcases out there no matter what you do.

Otherwise, I can't see what harm it does to the animal. A cat's dignity
is not defined by a name given to it by a human. Now, falling off the
windowsill, that's another matter. (Wash, wash, wash - I meant to do
that!)

You have not understood my point at all and it is too late at night here
in Britain for me to have time to explain it It's my bedtime.

Oh, I think we all "understand" your point - it's just that we a) consider
it trivial and b) disagree with it!

What a rude post.
I don't consider it trivial at all.

That's not to say most of us here do not! (Can't you find
more important issues to crusade about?)

Yes, cats have no idea what their name might mean. Would you call either of
your girls something like "Big Tits" or the C word?

No, but I wouldn't insist that such names were insulting to
the cats - who couldn't care less, even if they understood
the meanings of the terms. (Considering the behavior intact
cats exhibit when in heat, they would probably heartily
endorse such names, if they DID understand!)

Old May 4th 07, 11:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Christina Websell wrote:

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message

That being said, I wouldn't have thought the original suggested
penises to me - I know the term in that context, but it isn't
common enough around here for that to be the first meaning I'd
think of. The frequency of use of various slang expressions
varies considerably from place to place.

It's close to zero here for the one I suggested. I've never heard
anyone in the UK use it and I've only met with it in D.H. Lawrence's
novels (as I said, it was a literary allusion, and on top of a
historical one at that).

You know very well that if you ask anyone in the UK what it means they will
say penis. Stop trying to wriggle out of being found out suggesting to
someone in another country that it's a good name for a cat.

Children, children, hasn't this idiotic "controversy"
continued long enough? Who but "Tweed" really GIVES a damn?????
Old May 4th 07, 11:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Christina Websell wrote:

Yes, cats have no idea what their name might mean. Would you call
either of your girls something like "Big Tits" or the C word?

No, but I wouldn't insist that such names were insulting to
the cats - who couldn't care less, even if they understood
the meanings of the terms. (Considering the behavior intact
cats exhibit when in heat, they would probably heartily
endorse such names, if they DID understand!)

LOL, that's funny. I'm sure you're right. Non-humans don't share our
prudish attitudes about the body, do they?

That said, I admit that it would make me sad to see a cat named something
that is insulting in our culture. I would *feel* like I'm insulting the
cat whenever I said its name. Which is probably what Tweed has been getting
at all along.

However, I think it's important not to confuse one's own emotional
reactions from the reality of the situation. If it made me unhappy to
give a cat an insulting name (insulting from my perspective), then I
wouldn't do it. But that doesn't mean it's morally wrong to do it, if
someone else chose to do so. I mean, what if I wanted to make a positive
statement about the body part in question by naming my cat after it?
Would that be insulting to the cat? Intention is important, too.

For that reason, if someone I didn't know were to name their cat, say,
"Sh*thead", I would be alert to potential animal abuse or neglect, as such
a name *might* (I emphasize "might", because it might not) indicate a
nasty attitude toward the cat. I would be far more concerned about that
than about the name itself.

I guess what I'm saying is that just because something might *feel* wrong,
that doesn't mean it *is* wrong.

What a weird thread. But I like it.

Joyce
Old May 4th 07, 11:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

Considering the behavior intact cats exhibit when in heat, they
would probably heartily endorse such names, if they DID understand!)

I tried latching the catflap to keep Marblecake indoors with Splodge
when she was in season. The result was that they both got out; I found
the catflap split from side to side as if it had been given an almighty
karate punch.

Since Splodge has lived with that catflap a few years longer than
Marblecake, I suspect her ladylike little paw did it.

Old May 5th 07, 12:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

if someone I didn't know were to name their cat, say, "Sh*thead",
I would be alert to potential animal abuse or neglect, as such a
name *might* (I emphasize "might", because it might not) indicate
a nasty attitude toward the cat. I would be far more concerned
about that than about the name itself.

Like when a colleague of mine found a stray cat on his doorstep
with a label on his collar saying "My name is ****face and I live
on the motorway".

It's hard to imagine how anybody could do that, I would guess the
result of a relationship breakup.

Happy ending anyway, my co-worker adopted the cat.

Old May 5th 07, 01:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

OK. You don't get it. Once again you are not able to say so without being
rude, Evelyn and now you add patronising. sigh

Old May 5th 07, 01:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ketzl's Dad

On Fri, 4 May 2007 20:13:58 -0400, Christina Websell wrote:

Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

It's probably a cultural thing. In the US it *vaguely* means penis, but it's
usually used jokingly, and frankly I don't see any reason to take it as
anything more than a joke. To think of it as demeaning to an animal is
somewhat absurd.

I guess it has to do with the level of self-consciousness one has about one's
body (or bodies in general) and sexual inuendo, which, in my mind, is almost
always taken harmlessly as a joke.

--
Joey DoWop Dee
Remember: It is To Laugh

Old May 5th 07, 05:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Tish

On May 5, 8:49 am, wrote:

For that reason, if someone I didn't know were to name their cat, say,
"Sh*thead", I would be alert to potential animal abuse or neglect, as such
a name *might* (I emphasize "might", because it might not) indicate a
nasty attitude toward the cat. I would be far more concerned about that
than about the name itself.

I guess what I'm saying is that just because something might *feel* wrong,
that doesn't mean it *is* wrong.

What a weird thread. But I like it.

Joyce

In that case you'd either be talking to a fan of "The Jerk" (where
Steve Martin had a dog called "****head") or me, where our late
lamented queen-o-the-household, Ted, rejoiced in being christened
exactly that name. We didn't name her, but neither did we feel it
necessary to change her name after she came to live with us.

My mother's heart-cat, Psnott, was chistened Snot-pott because of a
smudge on his nose that looked just like he needed to wipe it. We
adjusted the spelling to Psnott because he was an expert at the silent
"p"! (particularly later in life when his kidneys started to fail)

An acquaintance called his cat "pussy licker", which didn't do much
for me, but he got an enormous kick out of standing outside his worst-
house-in-best-street hovel yelling for her. "Puss" didn't mind one
bit and most of us who knew her called her by her abbreviated name.

My aunt almost got away with calling her Alsation (German Shepherd)
pup "wherdi", short for "where did he wee", but it mutated into
Wombles via a long series of intermediate names. His canine companion
was a very, very stout spaniel called "Supergirl", which emphasized
exactly how super she wasn't (she wasn't a good match for the
family).

Really, our current batch of Spock, Persephone (Queen of the
Underpants Gnomes) and Fox are really all very conventionally named by
comparison!

Tish

What a pair! Pat Cat anecdotes 3 March 7th 07 02:56 PM
Are your cat's names on the list? Flippy Cat anecdotes 23 November 24th 06 06:07 PM
Sacramento, CA: PAIR OF BEAUTIES - CATS Hi Im WEEniE with MyFav4ite Midi Cat rescue 0 January 30th 05 01:51 PM
Your Cat's Names Rob Riemensnyder Cat anecdotes 144 May 27th 04 08:11 PM
Meowmie bought another pair of shoes... Marina Cat anecdotes 28 May 9th 04 08:21 AM