Question About Cat Behavior...

Old March 7th 08, 08:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Writerosity

Default Question About Cat Behavior...

I know that cats hunch their backs, bristle their fur and spit when
they are threatened by other animals, but my kitten likes to hunch his
back when I'm petting him. Why does he do this, if this is behavior
normally associated with fear? TIA

Writerosity
Old March 7th 08, 08:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Writerosity" wrote in message
I know that cats hunch their backs, bristle their fur and spit when
they are threatened by other animals, but my kitten likes to hunch his
back when I'm petting him. Why does he do this, if this is behavior
normally associated with fear? TIA

Writerosity

In this instance it's not a sign of fear as much as a "here, here, pet here"
sign of body language.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old March 7th 08, 08:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Writerosity" wrote in message
I know that cats hunch their backs, bristle their fur and spit when
they are threatened by other animals, but my kitten likes to hunch his
back when I'm petting him. Why does he do this, if this is behavior
normally associated with fear? TIA

Writerosity

In this instance it's not a sign of fear as much as a "here, here, pet
here" sign of body language.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Exactly. The kitty is saying "Oooh, don't forget this spot" It would be
different, of course, if it were accompanied by a bristled tail and hissing.

Jill

Old March 8th 08, 07:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

jmcquown wrote:

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Writerosity" wrote in message
I know that cats hunch their backs, bristle their fur and spit when
they are threatened by other animals, but my kitten likes to hunch his
back when I'm petting him. Why does he do this, if this is behavior
normally associated with fear? TIA

Writerosity

In this instance it's not a sign of fear as much as a "here, here, pet
here" sign of body language.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Exactly. The kitty is saying "Oooh, don't forget this spot" It
would be different, of course, if it were accompanied by a bristled tail
and hissing.

Jill

Also, many cats (but not all) will arch their backs when your petting
reaches the the area of the back next to the base of the tail. It seems
to be a reflex action (like twitching their ears when you touch them)
but not all my cats have had the reflex.
Old March 8th 08, 05:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Writerosity

On Mar 7, 12:45*pm, "CatNipped" wrote:
"Writerosity" wrote in message

I know that cats hunch their backs, bristle their fur and spit when
they are threatened by other animals, but my kitten likes to hunch his
back when I'm petting him. *Why does he do this, if this is behavior
normally associated with fear? *TIA

Writerosity

In this instance it's not a sign of fear as much as a "here, here, pet here"
sign of body language.

Hugs,

CatNipped

This is what I thought. It's really cute.

Writerosity
Old March 8th 08, 05:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Writerosity

On Mar 7, 12:51*pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
"CatNipped" wrote in message

... "Writerosity" wrote in message
I know that cats hunch their backs, bristle their fur and spit when
they are threatened by other animals, but my kitten likes to hunch his
back when I'm petting him. *Why does he do this, if this is behavior
normally associated with fear? *TIA

Writerosity

In this instance it's not a sign of fear as much as a "here, here, pet
here" sign of body language.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Exactly. *The kitty is saying "Oooh, don't forget this spot" *It would be
different, of course, if it were accompanied by a bristled tail and hissing.

Jill

I had a cat that hunched its back when it was sharpening its claws on
my couch. I guess it's just a matter of what feels good to the
indiividual.
Old March 8th 08, 05:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Writerosity

On Mar 7, 2:30*pm, "Kyla =^..^=" wrote:
"jmcquown"

"CatNipped"
"Writerosity"
I know that cats hunch their backs, bristle their fur and spit when
they are threatened by other animals, but my kitten likes to hunch his
back when I'm petting him. *Why does he do this, if this is behavior
normally associated with fear? *TIA

Writerosity

In this instance it's not a sign of fear as much as a "here, here, pet
here" sign of body language.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Exactly. *The kitty is saying "Oooh, don't forget this spot" *It would
be different, of course, if it were accompanied by a bristled tail and
hissing.

Jill

LOL, then they run off sideways..kittens are SO funny.
Kyla
--who wishes Cats could stay kittens

I've got two of them, and sometimes it's hard not to think that they
are really trying to do each other in.
Old March 9th 08, 05:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=

"Writerosity" wrote in message
On Mar 7, 2:30 pm, "Kyla =^..^=" wrote:
"jmcquown"

"CatNipped"
"Writerosity"
[...]

LOL, how old are they?
Kyla
--and Clowder

Old March 9th 08, 08:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"Writerosity" wrote in message
I know that cats hunch their backs, bristle their fur and spit when
they are threatened by other animals, but my kitten likes to hunch his
back when I'm petting him. Why does he do this, if this is behavior
normally associated with fear? TIA

Writerosity

I wouldn't know how cats behave, as I've never seen them behave. If you can
figure it out, please let us know.

Pam S.

Old March 15th 08, 05:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Writerosity

On Mar 8, 10:44*pm, "Kyla =^..^=" wrote:
"Writerosity" wrote in message

On Mar 7, 2:30 pm, "Kyla *=^..^=" wrote:

"jmcquown"

"CatNipped"
"Writerosity"
[...]

Their about 6 months old now.

Writerosity

--and Clowder- Hide quoted text -

Question About Cat Behavior... Writerosity Cat health & behaviour 5 March 10th 08 04:26 AM
Question About Cat Behavior... Writerosity Cats - misc 1 March 7th 08 08:48 PM
Cat behavior question Mary Cat health & behaviour 4 September 5th 03 01:18 AM
Cat behavior question Mary Cat rescue 1 September 4th 03 10:13 PM
Behavior Question kaeli Cat health & behaviour 2 August 8th 03 02:53 PM