Can't everyone just get along - cat introductions

Old June 8th 05, 07:33 AM

Default Can't everyone just get along - cat introductions

About 6 weeks ago I brought three 11 month old, herpes infected cats
into my house. They're all siblings that I found when they were two
months old. I followed all the instructions and guides about
introducing new cats to the resident cats (I've also done it twice
before). However, because there are three new cats and with the hot
weather even inside the house, I've had to change things a bit. I'm now
at a step with them where things aren't going well.

I've let the three cats out of their room to explore the house with the
resident cat. I've been doing this for about two weeks. The smallest,
sickliest, female cat, Gizmo, seems to get along best with the
resident cat although he still hisses at her when she gets too close.

The healthiest, female cat and dominant one of the three, gets along ok
with the resident cat but I've seen two problems. The resident cat
still hisses at her but on two occasions she hissed back at him. It
also appears that she might be trying to be the dominant cat of the
house.

The third cat, Sonic, a male, absolutely loves the resident cat and is
always trying to play with him and rubs up against him as if they were
best buddies. The resident cat hates this and will usually hiss. Today,
however, the resident cat started attacking Sonic when he got too
close/friendly.

The resident cat seems to be afraid of the three new cats. He acts as
though he's unsure of them and eventually looks like he's ticked off at
them. I've never had this happen with an introduction before. I also
get the impression that he feels as though he's losing territory and is
outnumbered, which he is. He got along well with two other cats that I
used to have in the house but they were both several years older than
him. Unfortunately, one died two years ago and the other three months
ago.

What can I do to help everyone get along better? Do I need to start
over? I can't keep these three cats confined to their room all the
time, especially since the air conditioner is broke and it's hot as
heck in their room. There are no other rooms that I can keep them in
either.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? I just want everyone
to get along even if they don't like each other.

Old June 9th 05, 06:18 PM
Alison

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I think your resident cat must find it overwhelming having to cope
with three cats all at once and he is being defensive and hissing to
tell the cats to keep their distance.
Is it possible to let him meet one cat at a time so he doesn't feel
so defensive and then put him in another room while all three spend
some time out? Use treats and fishing rod type toys to make the
encounters pleasant. Try to distract Sonic if he gets to close and
tries to rub against him , I know he's being friendly but your
resident cat isn't ready for that yet. I don't think the larger female
is trying to dominate him but is reacting to him hissing at her.
I think the resident cat could be a lot worse. It can take weeks for
cats to accept each other. I wouldn't seperate them again but carry on
letting them meet for short periods seperately. Can you get
Felifriend in the US. You spray it onto a tissue and then put it on
the cats faces so they all smell familiar to each other.
Alison

Old June 9th 05, 11:07 PM
bigbadbarry

bigbadbarry wrote:

I don't think there is no magic formula for training, sure, yure
dealing with some basic cat instincts, but these cats are also wanting
to please you, so your actions certainly play a role in this.

I changed my mind, there is a magic formula

I got the magic stick baby...

My cat loves me...my cat is curazy about me.