Early AM cat problem???

Old June 23rd 05, 03:03 PM
John Doe

"biggerbadderbarry" wrote:
John Doe wrote:
I wrote:

Kiki very much likes it. I bought an electric staple gun. The
stables will be kept out of the way and stapled deeply into the
wood to help prevent the possibility of my cat's claws becoming
entangled. If necessary, I will put some glue sealer material
over the staples. There is no guarantee of safety, but the
staple gun is an amazing tool for attaching carpet to wood. And
because it is so easy, they will have as much exercise
equipment as they can handle. Now on to figuring out how and
where else to attach carpeted wood.

Your going to wind up with a big ugly eye sore that you regret
spending money on. Tazzled ends hanging everywhere, cats getting
stuck in the fuzz, big holes in your walls,

Those ideas are strange to me. I have been using 8 foot carpeted
2x4s for many years without such problems. Size 10 screws do not
leave big holes in the wall. The tiny holes they leave when
removed can be easily patched.

nowhere to walk on that side of the room.

I guess most people consider ducking under and walking over things
too difficult. I consider it exercise and a challenge. With the
lights off, maybe too much of a challenge, but much less than
skating at night. It is for a good cause, in my opinion.

Shirts hanging on it.

Not here.

It's aaalll going to end up in the dumpster, a big pile of fuzzy
2 x 4's with no less than 8 tubes of liquid nails in the mix.

You might be better with self-fulfilling prophecies.

From: "biggerbadderbarry" bigbadbarry adelphia.net
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Subject: Early AM cat problem???
Date: 23 Jun 2005 05:30:44 -0700

Old June 23rd 05, 03:22 PM
biggerbadderbarry

John Doe wrote:

You might be better with self-fulfilling prophecies.

Ha,

Im just messin

I love to build anything I can get my hands on.

I like a good challenge - anything structural

Maybe someone could start a company, implement your idea, have
pre-covered
lengths of wood, with many ways to connect them.
Sell them in 8 ft bundles, colors too!

Old June 23rd 05, 11:57 PM
Cheryl

On Wed 22 Jun 2005 11:55:25a, John Doe wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

I wrote:

In fact, I am planning to make a long high shelf along the side
of my room which has three large windows. Instead of board for
the shelving material, I will use a carpeted 2x4 which will be
placed out from the wall at least 6 inches. That way, they can
lie on the 2 x 4 and easily look out the windows.

Kiki very much likes it. I bought an electric staple gun. The
stables will be kept out of the way and stapled deeply into the
wood to help prevent the possibility of my cat's claws becoming
entangled. If necessary, I will put some glue sealer material
over the staples. There is no guarantee of safety, but the
staple gun is an amazing tool for attaching carpet to wood. And
because it is so easy, they will have as much exercise equipment
as they can handle. Now on to figuring out how and where else to
attach carpeted wood.

Any chance that you have pictures of it? I'd love to see what you
built.

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields
Old June 24th 05, 12:53 AM
Cheryl

On Thu 23 Jun 2005 07:08:17p, equalizer wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
(news
On 23 Jun 2005 07:22:14 -0700, "biggerbadderbarry"
wrote:

John Doe wrote:

You might be better with self-fulfilling prophecies.

Ha,

Im just messin

I love to build anything I can get my hands on.

I like a good challenge - anything structural

Maybe someone could start a company, implement your idea, have
pre-covered
lengths of wood, with many ways to connect them.
Sell them in 8 ft bundles, colors too!

http://www.katwallks.com/

Those were reviewed by people on rpca ng. They're too narrow, too
short, too expensive. Great idea, though. I put up a couple of
shelves based on that idea, but they're not carpet-covered. They
are there just as a stepping up point to a high window in my
basement family room. They are well used.

Old June 24th 05, 02:34 AM
biggerbadderbarry

Cheryl wrote:

Those were reviewed by people on rpca ng. They're too narrow, too
short, too expensive. Great idea, though. I put up a couple of
shelves based on that idea, but they're not carpet-covered. They
are there just as a stepping up point to a high window in my
basement family room. They are well used.

I checked out the catwalk link.

On the high flats, I would want little walls, big enough to prevent
roll-offs when sleeping.

Old June 24th 05, 03:19 AM
John Doe

Cheryl wrote:

Any chance that you have pictures of it? I'd love to see what
you built.

Not at the moment. This is all it is currently.

.... one 8' carpeted 2x4

.... three shelf brackets placed about 6 feet high, spaced at least
3'

The 2x4 is lying across the shelf brackets, out from the window a
few or more inches, a single screw into the bottom (near the outer
edge) of the 2x4 at each of the three shelf brackets.

Another 2x4, unsecured, is leaned up against that 2x4 so the cats
can climb up there. Especially since Kiki is aging, at the bottom
of the climbing 2x4, there is a 1' thick, big semi-firm foam
rubber landing. They jump onto that when running down the 2x4.
They could turn around and slowly come down but they never do.

As usual, I put their dry food up there for encouragement. Kiki
lingers up there. I think she fell asleep on a carpeted 2x4 once.