I met Dave Gerecke!

Old December 3rd 03, 06:54 AM
Yoj

"LOL" wrote in message
om...
"Yoj" wrote in message

We actually met this time, but I'll bet it was the shortest

newsgroup
meet in history! Since we didn't make a connection last time, I told

him
I'd wait just outside the security checkpoint. First I had to find

out
how to get there. I found somebody who told me to take an elevator,

so I
did. I could see that people were coming from flights. Some came out
where I was, and others turned just before they would get to where I

was
and went to other gates. I asked the guard at that point if that was
where people from his gate would come out, and he said yes. I waited
there for a while, and then another guard came along and asked why I

was
there, and who I was meeting. I told him, and he said I couldn't

wait
there. He wanted to know the flight numbers and gates, which I had.

He
said, "He'll probably just go straight to the next gate." I said I'd
told him I'd be waiting just outside security, and the guard finally
said I could wait "over there" - about 20 feet from the exit point.
Finally I saw somebody I thought might be Dave, and called out to

him.
It was him. He came out and gave me a hug, then introduced me to a

young
woman he had met on the plane. He said they were both on the next

flight
together. He had her take our picture. Immediately the guard who had
told me I couldn't wait there came over and said picture taking

wasn't
allowed in there. I'm not sure, but I think he made Dave erase the
photo. Then he made him go over and get in line to go through

security
again. I wanted to wait and see if he turned, so I could wave

goodbye,
but the guard told me to leave, so I did. At least we did meet, and

now
I've met all three Daves.

Hmmmm. It's great that you got to meet, but next time try it without
that guard around. g

------
Krista
Jealous

Right. ;-)

Joy

Old December 3rd 03, 08:54 AM

badwilson wrote:

I'm sorry that the guard was so difficult to you. It doesn't make sense
that he let you wait in one spot and then made you leave all of a sudden.
I guess they are all trying to be extra strict with security these days.

Well, I understand that, but I can't figure out how Dave's taking a photo
created a security risk!

Joyce
Old December 3rd 03, 09:10 AM
Yoj

wrote in message
badwilson wrote:

I'm sorry that the guard was so difficult to you. It doesn't make

sense
that he let you wait in one spot and then made you leave all of a

sudden.
I guess they are all trying to be extra strict with security these

days.

Well, I understand that, but I can't figure out how Dave's taking a

photo
created a security risk!

Joyce

I can't either, especially since it was just the two of us against a
concrete pillar. It certainly wouldn't give anything away to
terrorists. It was close to the security area, so you could see the
doorways you walk through, as well as people taking off their shoes
and/or having a wand run over them. Still, anyone who has flown, at
least post 9-11, has seen that. Oh well. I think the guard was just
paranoid.

Joy

Old December 3rd 03, 04:40 PM
David Yehudah

When I know I'm going to be around a**holes like that, I always carry a
clipboard around with me. Then when they get officious, I ask for their
name and badge number, then write them down. If they haven't turned to
jelly by then (they usually have), I ask for their section number, name
of their supervisor, and anything else that sounds ominous; works every
time. :-)

I've met Mark and Senyah. It was well worth the trip.

badwilson wrote:
Well, I'm glad you met! You are the only one who has had the honour of
meeting all 3 Daves! Wow! Now you must meet Mark.
--
Britta
ROT13 to reply

Old December 3rd 03, 06:29 PM
SUQKRT

In article , "Yoj"
wrote:

wrote in message
badwilson wrote:

[...]

Its great you got to meet. Bigger airports tend to be more serious about
security. When I flew out of Manchester NH it was fairly easy, but at Tampa
they nearly did a cavity search.
Suz
Iron Chef Macmoosette
Thank Heavens There's Only One

Chocolate heals all wounds.
Old December 3rd 03, 06:34 PM
TJ and The Dust

wrote in message
badwilson wrote:

I'm sorry that the guard was so difficult to you. It doesn't make sense
that he let you wait in one spot and then made you leave all of a sudden.
I guess they are all trying to be extra strict with security these days.

Well, I understand that, but I can't figure out how Dave's taking a photo
created a security risk!

Joyce

The only thing that I can think you (not having gone through security), came
into close contact with a passenger that was within a secure area. You said
they made Dave go back through security after your photo op, right? Even though
we know it's silly and it was completely innocent how do they know you that in
your moment of contact you didn't slip something like a weapon in his pocket.
Just trying to think like the security people. Lord knows I am the profile of
terrorism because I am ALWAYS pulled aside for the "wanding" and "take of your
shoes and let me see the bottom of feet" and the purse search and I have even
had my luggage completely searched TWICE upon check-in! Yep.

One time all I had in purse was a pen, a crossword magazine, my driver's
license, a credit card and a bag of Twizzlers licorice sticks. All innocent,
or is it? Something to stab someone with, jam their nose clean into their
brain with and a couple of things to slice their neck with. Oh and if I was
feeling feisty I guess I could whip them into submission with my licorice!

TJ

Old December 3rd 03, 06:39 PM
Yoj

I'll remember the clipboard for future reference. ;-) I think a lot of
security personnel (and a lot of other people) are somewhat paranoid
since the 9-11 attacks. I know people who still won't fly, even though
flying is a lot safer now than it ever was before. I say that not
because of the security checks, which I don't really think do that much
good, but because of the attitudes of passengers and flight personnel.
I don't believe it would be possible to hijack a plane now. There have
been a few incidents in the last two years that prove people know what
to do if someone tries something they shouldn't. I don't mind some
security precautions, and I know rules are rules. However, we weren't
hurting anything, and that picture didn't show anything important. Oh
well. At least we did manage to meet.

--
Joy

"You can never do a kindness too soon because you never know how soon it
will be too late." _Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old December 3rd 03, 06:44 PM
Yoj

"SUQKRT" wrote in message

In article

, "Yoj"
wrote:

wrote in message
badwilson wrote:

[...]

Yes, I've noticed a lot of difference in security at various airports.
In Valdez, Alaska, they now search checked baggage. They didn't even do
that until about six months ago. There is no x-ray machine and no
search or check of people or carry-ons there. Of course it is a very
small airport. Security regulations seem to be different in different
countries, too. When I was in Australia, a friend was seeing me off
from the Adelaide airport. She would have been allowed to go with me
past security, except that she had a small pair of scissors in her
purse. She had two choices - either surrender the scissors or don't go
any farther. When she found out they wouldn't return the scissors when
they came out, she left. At airports in the United States (at least the
ones that have security checkpoints), you can't go past security without
a ticket and photo ID.

Joy

Old December 3rd 03, 06:48 PM
Yoj

wrote in message
badwilson wrote:

[...]

I could understand why they made him go through security again. I think
we both expected that. I just didn't think they'd do it without our
having a chance to visit a little bit. My mother is one of those who
seems to have problems with security too. She has gone through the same
thing, including having her carry-on searched and taking off her shoes
twice for one flight. She always gets wanded because she has a
pacemaker. Even before things got so strict she was held up once
because the man running the x-ray machine insisted she had a knife in
her carry-on bag. He finally found a fingernail file, which was still
legal at that time, but he didn't have the grace to apologize. My
mother, who was in her late 80's at the time, was not amused.

BTW, I love your description of what you could do with the contents of
your purse.

Joy

Old December 3rd 03, 07:21 PM
Karen

in article , Yoj

wrote in message
badwilson wrote:

[...]

I guess I just wonder because anyone up to no good can easily case out the
security by going there and probably would. Doesn't seem like a pic would be
that "unsecure".

Karen

Update on Dave Gerecke's Dad Yoj Cat anecdotes 8 November 15th 03 06:34 AM
Dave Gerecke's Dad Yoj Cat anecdotes 17 November 8th 03 11:47 PM
Dave Gerecke's Dad Yoj Cat anecdotes 4 November 8th 03 08:14 PM
Dave G in USA - purrs needed. Yowie Cat anecdotes 19 November 2nd 03 10:33 PM
PING: Flippy and Dave Stevenson Tanada Cat anecdotes 3 August 21st 03 12:24 PM