I met Dave Gerecke!

Old December 3rd 03, 10:22 PM
Tanada

TJ and The Dust wrote:

One time all I had in purse was a pen, a crossword magazine, my driver's
license, a credit card and a bag of Twizzlers licorice sticks. All innocent,
or is it? Something to stab someone with, jam their nose clean into their
brain with and a couple of things to slice their neck with. Oh and if I was
feeling feisty I guess I could whip them into submission with my licorice!

You been in contact with those evil European terrorists again? You need
to stick to the nice safe Buropean terrorists like the rest of us, TJ.

Pam S. Who almost got strip searched at the county court house once
Old December 3rd 03, 10:29 PM
Tanada

Karen wrote:

I guess I just wonder because anyone up to no good can easily case out the
security by going there and probably would. Doesn't seem like a pic would be
that "unsecure".

Rob said that, if you could see part of the security set up in the back
ground, the security officer might think that you were using the
innocence of taking a friends photo as an archive of their security
systems in order to study it for ways to circumvent it. I wouldn't know
about that. I just have this hobby of thinking of ways I'd get around
the security on Post and at the airfield, if I were a terrorist. It's
scary how easy it would be, if an old granny woman like me could come up
with ideas for getting on and off post.

Pam S.
Old December 3rd 03, 10:46 PM
Yoj

"Karen" wrote in message
in article

, Yoj
at wrote on 12/3/03 12:48 PM:

"TJ and The Dust" wrote in message
wrote in message
badwilson wrote:

I'm sorry that the guard was so difficult to you. It doesn't

make sense
that he let you wait in one spot and then made you leave all of a

sudden.
I guess they are all trying to be extra strict with security

these days.

Well, I understand that, but I can't figure out how Dave's taking

photo
created a security risk!

Joyce

The only thing that I can think you (not having gone through

security), came
into close contact with a passenger that was within a secure area.

You said
they made Dave go back through security after your photo op, right?

Even though
we know it's silly and it was completely innocent how do they know

you
that in
your moment of contact you didn't slip something like a weapon in

his
pocket.
Just trying to think like the security people. Lord knows I am the

profile of
terrorism because I am ALWAYS pulled aside for the "wanding" and

"take
of your
shoes and let me see the bottom of feet" and the purse search and I

have even
had my luggage completely searched TWICE upon check-in! Yep.

One time all I had in purse was a pen, a crossword magazine, my

driver's
license, a credit card and a bag of Twizzlers licorice sticks.

All
innocent,
or is it? Something to stab someone with, jam their nose clean

into
their
brain with and a couple of things to slice their neck with. Oh and

if
I was
feeling feisty I guess I could whip them into submission with my

licorice!

TJ

I could understand why they made him go through security again. I

think
we both expected that. I just didn't think they'd do it without our
having a chance to visit a little bit. My mother is one of those

who
seems to have problems with security too. She has gone through the

same
thing, including having her carry-on searched and taking off her

shoes
twice for one flight. She always gets wanded because she has a
pacemaker. Even before things got so strict she was held up once
because the man running the x-ray machine insisted she had a knife

in
her carry-on bag. He finally found a fingernail file, which was

still
legal at that time, but he didn't have the grace to apologize. My
mother, who was in her late 80's at the time, was not amused.

BTW, I love your description of what you could do with the contents

of
your purse.

Joy

I guess I just wonder because anyone up to no good can easily case out

the
security by going there and probably would. Doesn't seem like a pic

would be
that "unsecure".

Karen

I agree. Certainly anyone who has flown anywhere in the last couple of
years would know what the security is. Also, no matter how many
precautions they take, they can't think of everything. I once worked on
a hush-hush classified program. All paper who came in was supposed to
be shredded before it was taken out, even if it was newspaper.
Newspapers weren't shredded, and engineers went out with briefcases
every day. There were supposed to be random searches of briefcases, but
I never knew of it being done, and my office was just inside the
controlled area, so I think I would have. Anybody could have walked out
with a classified document or a disk with classified material on it, and
nobody would have known. In fact, one engineer did walk out with a
classified document. It was an accident, and when his wife found it in
his briefcase, he was so upset he didn't act rationally. It was a
Friday, so rather than keep it all weekend (or call security to report
he had it, which was what he should have done), he burned it in his
barbecue. He reported that when he came to work on Monday, and it
caused a lot of hassle and paperwork for him and the security
department.

Joy

Old December 3rd 03, 10:47 PM
Yoj

"Tanada" wrote in message
Karen wrote:

[...]

Yep. Security measures prevent some things, but they can't prevent all
the possible things people could do.

Joy

Old December 3rd 03, 10:51 PM
Karen

"Tanada" wrote in message
Karen wrote:

I guess I just wonder because anyone up to no good can easily case out

the
security by going there and probably would. Doesn't seem like a pic

would be
that "unsecure".

Rob said that, if you could see part of the security set up in the back
ground, the security officer might think that you were using the
innocence of taking a friends photo as an archive of their security
systems in order to study it for ways to circumvent it. I wouldn't know
about that. I just have this hobby of thinking of ways I'd get around
the security on Post and at the airfield, if I were a terrorist. It's
scary how easy it would be, if an old granny woman like me could come up
with ideas for getting on and off post.

Pam S.

But that's just it. I really think evil-doers actually go and case the
places in person. It would be much more effective. I would imagine most
security systems can be got around by those that *really* want to. Anyway, I
understand, I just think that is probably not the thing to worry about. Kind
of like *my* feet

Karen

Old December 4th 03, 01:56 AM
Stacey

"Yoj" wrote SNIP
Even before things got so strict she was held up once
because the man running the x-ray machine insisted she had a knife in her
carry-on bag. He finally found a fingernail file, which was still legal at
that time, but he didn't have the grace to apologize. SNIP

I used to like to bring my plastic canvas crafts on flights, but guess I
couldn't do that now.. my needle would probably be considered a potential
weapon. (Not that I fly anywhere anymore anyway).

SNIP BTW, I love your description of what you could do with the contents
of your purse. SNIP

Scary thing is, I believe TJ would do any of those things if the situation
called for it!!!!!

Stacey

Old December 4th 03, 04:07 AM
badwilson

"Tanada" wrote in message

Rob said that, if you could see part of the security set up in the back
ground, the security officer might think that you were using the
innocence of taking a friends photo as an archive of their security
systems in order to study it for ways to circumvent it. I wouldn't know
about that. I just have this hobby of thinking of ways I'd get around
the security on Post and at the airfield, if I were a terrorist. It's
scary how easy it would be, if an old granny woman like me could come up
with ideas for getting on and off post.

Yes, I think like that too, always trying to see loopholes, etc. I've come
to the conclusion that most security is a joke. No matter how seriously
they try to enforce it, there's always a way around it if you try hard
enough.
But I'm the exact opposite of TJ. I can have on tons of thick silver
jewellery, metal on my clothes and in my bag and I've never been wanded in
my life. I just walk right through the door and it never ever beeps! Maybe
I emit a force field that covers up metal detection?
Some people are weird with metal. I have a friend who is allergic to all
metal except 24 karat gold. Anything else leaves a red itchy rash on her
skin within 15 minutes. She also stops watches, but not digital watches.
But if she wears a watch with hands (making sure all metal parts of the
watch are covered up), within 15 min, the time is off and within 1/2 hour
the watch has stopped. So she has to wear this digital watch with a velcro
band that goes underneath the back of the watch so it doesn't touch her.
--
Britta
ROT13 to reply

Old December 4th 03, 05:31 AM
TJ and The Dust

"Stacey" wrote in message
.. .

"Yoj" wrote SNIP
Even before things got so strict she was held up once
because the man running the x-ray machine insisted she had a knife in her
carry-on bag. He finally found a fingernail file, which was still legal at
that time, but he didn't have the grace to apologize. SNIP

I used to like to bring my plastic canvas crafts on flights, but guess I
couldn't do that now.. my needle would probably be considered a potential
weapon. (Not that I fly anywhere anymore anyway).

SNIP BTW, I love your description of what you could do with the contents
of your purse. SNIP

Scary thing is, I believe TJ would do any of those things if the situation
called for it!!!!!

Stacey

Especially the whipping with the licorice.

TJ

Old December 5th 03, 11:00 PM
Stacey

Whoo baby!

"TJ and The Dust" wrote in message
"Stacey" wrote in message
.. .

"Yoj" wrote SNIP
[...]

Update on Dave Gerecke's Dad Yoj Cat anecdotes 8 November 15th 03 06:34 AM
Dave Gerecke's Dad Yoj Cat anecdotes 17 November 8th 03 11:47 PM
Dave Gerecke's Dad Yoj Cat anecdotes 4 November 8th 03 08:14 PM
Dave G in USA - purrs needed. Yowie Cat anecdotes 19 November 2nd 03 10:33 PM
PING: Flippy and Dave Stevenson Tanada Cat anecdotes 3 August 21st 03 12:24 PM