[OT] unusual dog fur

Old January 25th 04, 02:55 AM
John F. Eldredge

Default [OT] unusual dog fur

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from
http://pgp.mit.edu

Old January 25th 04, 04:07 AM
GraceCat

None that I know of.

Mutt when she was small, before the silver took over (her grandfather
was a silver poodle and the silver doesn't come in for a couple years
from what I hear) she had squirrel fur. It was black on top but her
undercoat was a definite golden brown. She still has the apricot
markings (her mother was a black/apricot poodle with exact markings as a
black/tan hound) along the nose, chest and paws but her squirrel
undercoat has given way to a lighter shade of black and silver topcoat.
It was the terrier in her that gave the texture and undercoat appearance
but the poodle topcoat genes came out and dominated as she grew.

Grace

"John F. Eldredge" wrote in message

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from

Old January 25th 04, 06:06 AM
badwilson

"John F. Eldredge" wrote in message

One of my boss's dogs is a mixed-breed named Clipper. Her shape,
size, and coloring look German Shepherd, but she has an unusual
growth pattern to her fur that I have never seen on any other dog.
It grows in distinct ridges, about one inch apart, running lengthwise
on her back and flanks. It looks as if someone had run their fingers
through her fur, but grows that way naturally. What dog breed has
that fur pattern?

I've only heard of the Rhodesian Ridgeback. The fur along the spine grows
in the opposite direction and sticks straight up, creating a ridge. A lot
of the Thai street dogs seem to have ridges too.
--
Britta
Check out pictures of Vino at:

Old January 25th 04, 02:59 PM
Duke of URL

In ,
John F. Eldredge radiated into the
WorldWideWait:

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from

Old January 26th 04, 04:39 PM
CK

John F. Eldredge wrote:
One of my boss's dogs is a mixed-breed named Clipper. Her shape,
size, and coloring look German Shepherd, but she has an unusual
growth pattern to her fur that I have never seen on any other dog.
It grows in distinct ridges, about one inch apart, running lengthwise
on her back and flanks. It looks as if someone had run their fingers
through her fur, but grows that way naturally. What dog breed has
that fur pattern?

The effect could also result from her being a mix of breeds. The German
Shepherd has coarse fur, but if there is some curly or wavy fur in her
ancestry, that might, combined with the coarseness, make this unusual
pattern. The coarse fur genes wouldn't allow the curls to develop fully,
but the curly genes would still try to bend the fur at least a bit.
And, just to make it perfectly clear, I'm *not* a genealogist, just
working on a "blonde hunch" here...

The fur of the ridgeback is short and flat and the ridge actually grows
"the wrong way", towards the head, when the rest grows towards the tail.
I don't thing that's what you meant in your description, did you?

--
Christine in Vantaa, Finland
christal63 (at) yahoo (dot) com
Old January 26th 04, 06:14 PM
Takayuki

"badwilson" wrote:
I've only heard of the Rhodesian Ridgeback. The fur along the spine grows
in the opposite direction and sticks straight up, creating a ridge. A lot
of the Thai street dogs seem to have ridges too.

To go off on a strange tangent - do cats have ridged fur too? Betty
has seven distinct ridges of fur on her forehead. The first time I
saw them, I thought that maybe they were just slight black-on-black
tabby markings, but they're very prominent, textured ridges, like
someone ran a comb across her head. It feels like I'm petting a
little Klingon (or maybe cling-on) when I stroke her little head.

Old January 26th 04, 07:22 PM
John Biltz

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 10:14:06 -0800, Takayuki wrote
(in message ):

"badwilson" wrote:
I've only heard of the Rhodesian Ridgeback. The fur along the spine grows
in the opposite direction and sticks straight up, creating a ridge. A lot
of the Thai street dogs seem to have ridges too.

To go off on a strange tangent - do cats have ridged fur too? Betty
has seven distinct ridges of fur on her forehead. The first time I
saw them, I thought that maybe they were just slight black-on-black
tabby markings, but they're very prominent, textured ridges, like
someone ran a comb across her head. It feels like I'm petting a
little Klingon (or maybe cling-on) when I stroke her little head.

Bruiser has a tiny one at the begining of his muzzle and between the
eyes. Its very narrow and not long at all, the hair is very short and
stiff and stands straight up. He loves having that scratched.

Old January 26th 04, 10:34 PM
OU812?

Takayuki wrote:
"badwilson" wrote:
I've only heard of the Rhodesian Ridgeback. The fur along the spine
grows in the opposite direction and sticks straight up, creating a
ridge. A lot of the Thai street dogs seem to have ridges too.

To go off on a strange tangent - do cats have ridged fur too? Betty
has seven distinct ridges of fur on her forehead. The first time I
saw them, I thought that maybe they were just slight black-on-black
tabby markings, but they're very prominent, textured ridges, like
someone ran a comb across her head. It feels like I'm petting a
little Klingon (or maybe cling-on) when I stroke her little head.

I wonder if that might not be a coat mutation, similar to a Rex?

Kristy
--
((
/\ /\ ))
# # # #
*Bomber*

Old January 26th 04, 10:47 PM
Duke of URL

In news Takayuki radiated into the WorldWideWait:
"badwilson" wrote:

I've only heard of the Rhodesian Ridgeback. The fur along the
spine grows in the opposite direction and sticks straight up,
creating a ridge. A lot of the Thai street dogs seem to have
ridges too.

To go off on a strange tangent - do cats have ridged fur too? Betty
has seven distinct ridges of fur on her forehead. The first time I
saw them, I thought that maybe they were just slight black-on-black
tabby markings, but they're very prominent, textured ridges, like
someone ran a comb across her head. It feels like I'm petting a
little Klingon (or maybe cling-on) when I stroke her little head.

ISTR our Abyssinian had head-ridges, but since she died 7 or 8 years
ago, I'm not positive.