unusual reflex?

Old November 15th 04, 03:02 AM
tom koehler

Default unusual reflex?

Please pardon the intrusion... I am not a regular poster here. My question is
this... My cat, your basic neutered shorthair orage striped tabby has what I
think is an unusual reflex when I am petting him or giving him skritches.
When I get to his back end, just in front of his tail, I produce not only the
usual "rump rise" but his neck will extend, his head will bob up and down,
and his jaw will cycle up and down rapidly. This is new behavior in a cat
about 4 or 5 years old. He is healthy with regular habits and otherwise
unremarkable. He does not seem uncomfortable or distressed in any way while
being petted. I can not detect any physical irregularities of any kind in the
area in front of his tail. I'm in search of a clue or a comment about what is
going on, please.
Thank you for your time.
tom k.

--
I will find a way or make one.
(Most likely from Hannibal, crossing the Alps with his elephants

Old November 15th 04, 03:21 AM
Sherry

He is healthy with regular habits and otherwise
unremarkable. He does not seem uncomfortable or distressed in any way while
being petted. I can not detect any physical irregularities of any kind in the

area in front of his tail. I'm in search of a clue or a comment about what is

going on, please.
Thank you for your time.
tom k.

Sounds cute, and probably nothing to worry about. My old Cherokee used to start
licking his paws furiously when you scratched him at the base of his tail. It
was a great parlor trick...we'd say "Cherokee! Your paws are dirty!" then give
him scritches.

Sherry
Old November 15th 04, 03:31 AM
Mimi Forsyth

When I get to his back end, just in front of his tail, I produce not only
the
usual "rump rise" but his neck will extend, his head will bob up and down,
and his jaw will cycle up and down rapidl

I had a cat who began chewing her front leg when I scratched her rump. I gave
up trying to figure out her wiring.

www.mimiforsyth.com

Old November 15th 04, 03:41 AM
Paul O.

"tom koehler" wrote in
message net.net...
Please pardon the intrusion... I am not a regular poster here. My question
is
this... My cat, your basic neutered shorthair orage striped tabby has what
think is an unusual reflex when I am petting him or giving him skritches.
When I get to his back end, just in front of his tail, I produce not only
the
usual "rump rise" but his neck will extend, his head will bob up and down,
and his jaw will cycle up and down rapidly.
tom k.

My cat does the same thing only he licks the upper part of his front leg.
I think it causes a tickling sensation there that he tries to lick at.

--
Paul O.
Absolutely clueless when it comes to cats

Old November 15th 04, 04:27 AM
Mary

"tom koehler" wrote in
message net.net...
[...]

Tom, this is definitely Feline Hyperesthesia Syndrome. My Buddha also
did the head bob while going "mow, mow, mow." It is not dangerous,
but you may want to avoid petting him at the base of his tale, as it is
uncomfortable for them. Kind of like being tickled or hitting your
funny bone? Google the term, you can read more about it. Sometimes
they bite their forearm.

Old November 15th 04, 04:32 AM
Betsy

My cat licks anything in sight when I do that. Weird.

"tom koehler" wrote in
message net.net...

Old November 15th 04, 10:09 PM
tom koehler

Thanks to all of you who responded to my query. I will do the search
suggested by Mary, and try to learn a bit.
Again, thank you all.
tom k,