Early AM cat problem???

Old June 15th 05, 12:50 PM

Default Early AM cat problem???

Hello,
I am new to this forum, but thought I'd give it a try.

I have a 2 1/2 year old male siamese mix that recently began climbing
into the window ledge and playing in the blinds of our bedroom at
around 4:00am everyday. He meows a lot too while doing this, but it's
more the damage to the blinds, and the noise he creates that is
bothering us.

We've tried giving him an over abundance of attention throughout the
day, cat nip after dinner to tire him out later, and it's not working.
All of that was after trying water spray, and loud noises to scare him
out of the window. He just keeps going back to the windows...like he's
possessed! We don't want to lock him out of the room in fear that
he'll destroy the rest of the house (he has slept in our bed since he
was a kitten, and the female in our house sleeps in the bedroom too,
although she does nothing wrong at night)

So I was wondering if some Cayenne Pepper in a pouch or sachet type
thing placed on the window sill would work to keep him out of there?
Or is that going to trigger him to try and mark his territory somewhere
else?

Our concern is that he'll start spraying else where out of anger or
something.

any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Old June 15th 05, 01:15 PM
John Doe

[...]

Upside down packaging tape. It takes less than a few encounters.

Does he have a view of outside? Some cats really enjoy looking
outside. They also enjoy hearing sounds from outside. I use a
wireless infant room monitor (connected to a PC speaker) to bring
the outside sounds in. That is important, in my opinion,
especially when no one is home.

One of my cats very much enjoys smells from the outside, so I
leave the window open a little bit once a day. No, he is not
gasping for fresh air [playing].

Good luck.

Old June 15th 05, 02:18 PM

Hey, thanks for the responses!

Lauren, yes, he is neutered (will they not spray if they are neutered?)
Our house has 7-8 other windows for them to view the outside.
We like our bedroom blinds closed, since we live on a busy street.
The 2 windows that face the backyard are in view of bird feeders (the
female spends 90% of her time looking out that window)
And I have sprinkled cayenne pepper outside the bedroom windows in case
it was an outside cat getting his attention...I forgot to mention that
in my first post.

the other thought we had is that there is some kind of insect or mouse
in the walls that is driving him crazy. I keep meaning to listen to
the walls when he's freaking out to see if I hear scratching or
something....but the female doesn't seem to care about the window, so I
dont' think it's that.

-------------------------
John Doe - I think I'll try the double sided tape, that seems so much
less harsh then the pepper option, which I wanted to try to avoid,
since I don't want to hurt him, I just want to sleep through the night!

Thanks again for the responses!!

keep the ideas coming, please!

Old June 15th 05, 04:04 PM
Elizabeth Blake

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,
I am new to this forum, but thought I'd give it a try.

I have a 2 1/2 year old male siamese mix that recently began climbing
into the window ledge and playing in the blinds of our bedroom at
around 4:00am everyday. He meows a lot too while doing this, but it's
more the damage to the blinds, and the noise he creates that is
bothering us.

I have an almost six year old male cat that destroyed all the mini-blinds in
my apartment. He did it because I kept them all pretty much closed/down all
day, and he wanted to look out the windows. I have very narrow window
sills, so he would just stick his paw into the blinds and pull down in order
to look out the window. Eventually the ends of all the blinds started
breaking off from where he was pulling down on them.

It might help if you pull the blinds up 10" or so, so he'll be able to
access the window & sill without having to go through the blinds to get to
it.

--
Liz

Old June 15th 05, 04:18 PM
daddypop

John Doe wrote:

Upside down packaging tape. It takes less than a few encounters.

Well aren't you just "The Practical Cat Owner". Did you ever build that
death trap, you know, the one with the covered 2-by's for the cat to
climb on. haha

Does he have a view of outside? Some cats really enjoy looking
outside. They also enjoy hearing sounds from outside. I use a
wireless infant room monitor (connected to a PC speaker) to bring
the outside sounds in. That is important, in my opinion,
especially when no one is home.

You're not out in the bushes stashing a baby monitor are you? lol
Now I'm wondering if a nature CD would work, even jungle sounds.
monkeys, and exotic birds lions and what not.

One of my cats very much enjoys smells from the outside, so I
leave the window open a little bit once a day. No, he is not
gasping for fresh air [playing].

Have you decided on a flea treatment, We have a "Pet Wharehouse" and
every package I read claimed to be the best, I haven't decided yet. (My
cat is indoor/outdoor)

Old June 15th 05, 05:15 PM

liz,
The blinds are only closed while we sleep, the rest of the day they're
open.

and lately I've left them open at night, and he still gets on the sill
and reaches up into the blinds and bangs the bottom of them on the
molding.
(the blinds are the double cell ones with teh metal strip at the
bottom, which makes a loud noise when it's repeatedly hit against the
wood molding!)

Old June 15th 05, 05:21 PM
Mary

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hey, thanks for the responses!

Lauren, yes, he is neutered (will they not spray if they are neutered?)
Our house has 7-8 other windows for them to view the outside.
We like our bedroom blinds closed, since we live on a busy street.
The 2 windows that face the backyard are in view of bird feeders (the
female spends 90% of her time looking out that window)
And I have sprinkled cayenne pepper outside the bedroom windows in case
it was an outside cat getting his attention...I forgot to mention that
in my first post.

the other thought we had is that there is some kind of insect or mouse
in the walls that is driving him crazy. I keep meaning to listen to
the walls when he's freaking out to see if I hear scratching or
something....but the female doesn't seem to care about the window, so I
dont' think it's that.

Have you tried shutting him out of the bedroom at night?

Old June 15th 05, 05:27 PM
Mary

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,
I am new to this forum, but thought I'd give it a try.

I have a 2 1/2 year old male siamese mix that recently began climbing
into the window ledge and playing in the blinds of our bedroom at
around 4:00am everyday. He meows a lot too while doing this, but it's
more the damage to the blinds, and the noise he creates that is
bothering us.

I have an almost six year old male cat that destroyed all the mini-blinds

in
my apartment. He did it because I kept them all pretty much closed/down

all
day, and he wanted to look out the windows.

This is what happened to the sheers at the back of the couch in my living
room.
They are still there, but have many little claw holes. I noticed it too
late to save
them, but do keep them open now. (And I got the cats cat seats for other
windows.)

Old June 15th 05, 06:09 PM

"Have you tried shutting him out of the bedroom at night? "

We don't want to try that...

A) I did it twice and he cryed outside the door for about 15 minutes
until I opened the door again
B) he and the other cat sleep in the bedroom everynight (when he's not
awake freaking out)
C) We're afraid he'll cause damage elsewhere in the house