is it the heat?

Old July 28th 05, 05:38 PM
Charlie Wilkes

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 16:02:38 +0100, "Alison"
wrote:

"Charlie Wilkes" wrote in message
.. .
Let me put it this way, Janet: we have made our views known to one
another. But this is not the dog group. I see you are putting a
great deal of effort into your cat's health issues, giving her

prozac
and what have you so she won't **** you out of house and home. I'm
not surprised that a cat living with you needs prozac, but I commend
your diligence even so.

Charlie

Charlie,
It's more than likely that Carey's behaviour problems have a
physical
cause that the vets haven't properly diagnosed yet. Janet must have
spent
thousands of dollars on him and has tremendous patience putting up
with
all the peeing etc. so I commend her diligence too.
Alison

I can see she is doing her utmost. I was being a smartass.

Charlie
Old July 28th 05, 05:56 PM
Charlie Wilkes

, clicked their heels and said:

Charlie,
It's more than likely that Carey's behaviour problems have a
physical
cause that the vets haven't properly diagnosed yet. Janet must have
spent
thousands of dollars on him and has tremendous patience putting up
with
all the peeing etc. so I commend her diligence too.
Alison

Thanks Alison, it's been rough. She'll be 12 tomorrow. I think she's
already been getting her birthday presents! I started back on the
Prozac for her on Tuesday, and I know i will take a bit to kick in.
We had a rough late afternoon yesterday. Big t-storm, so Lucy was
pacing and not happy. Franklin barked at something, then grabbed a
squeaky toy and Carey lost it on him and Lucy, then Skip. I tossed
her in a room for a bit to cool down and tried letting her out only
to have the same reaction. We had that 3 times in 45 minutes, so she
got to stay in there quite a bit longer later on. She was fine the
rest of the evening, but sucked on Franklin at bedtime again, he left
and she took over his new dog bed! Maybe we all treat her a little
too nicely - nobody tells her off (except I tell her "do not hiss at
ME" when I'm pulling her off poor Skipjack).

This is what drives me nuts. No, you're not treating the cat too
nicely. You don't treat anything too nicely.

Telling her off will accomplish nothing positive and might make the
problem worse.

Maybe she needs to be kept away from the other animals all or most of
the time.

Charlie

Yes, thousands of dollars at this point. Lot's of frustration. But
we love her anyway. And my MIL arrives Saturday, for a week. She
adores her and vice versa, so hopefully we'll have some quiet and no
peeing (which has continued to be ok!).

Having a party on Saturday, and although the guests will mostly be
outside (pool), Carey and Skipjack will be closed in a bedroom for the
duration, just to keep things calm and easy for everyone. Why add
stress?

Old July 28th 05, 06:04 PM
Janet B

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 16:56:15 GMT, Charlie Wilkes
, clicked their heels and said:

This is what drives me nuts. No, you're not treating the cat too
nicely. You don't treat anything too nicely.

You have no idea how I treat animals. More of them are alive because
of my influence, than would be in a long, long time.

Telling her off will accomplish nothing positive and might make the
problem worse.

I'm not "telling her off", I'm telling her to knock it off as I carry
her to her room.

Maybe she needs to be kept away from the other animals all or most of
the time.

She's curled up sleeping with Skip today, as she was most of
yesterday. When she's not curled up with him, it's Franklin.

She obviously enjoys that quite a bit, why would I take enjoyment away
from her for a few episodes now and then? You're silly.

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old July 28th 05, 06:22 PM
Charlie Wilkes

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 13:04:17 -0400, Janet B
wrote:

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 16:56:15 GMT, Charlie Wilkes
, clicked their heels and said:

This is what drives me nuts. No, you're not treating the cat too
nicely. You don't treat anything too nicely.

You have no idea how I treat animals. More of them are alive because
of my influence, than would be in a long, long time.

???

You're laying into the bottle kind of early, aren't you?

Telling her off will accomplish nothing positive and might make the
problem worse.

I'm not "telling her off", I'm telling her to knock it off as I carry
her to her room.

Whatever. It's for your benefit, not hers.

Maybe she needs to be kept away from the other animals all or most of
the time.

She's curled up sleeping with Skip today, as she was most of
yesterday. When she's not curled up with him, it's Franklin.

She obviously enjoys that quite a bit, why would I take enjoyment away
from her for a few episodes now and then? You're silly.

It was just a thought. You know the situation. I'd say you're
handling it about right -- when there is a problem, remove the
aggressive animal from the mix. The other animals seem to be handling
this surly old cat just fine.

Prozac will probably help, too.

Charlie
Old July 29th 05, 11:24 PM
Alison

"Charlie Wilkes" wrote in message

Telling her off will accomplish nothing positive and might make the
problem worse.

Very good point . I agree very much with you here though I think
Janet was right to remove Carey from the situation, to let her calm
down and to protect the other pets.
Alison

Old July 29th 05, 11:42 PM
Alison

"Janet B" wrote in message
[...]

The pool party sounds fun, the only pool we have in our garden is
paddling pool for DibsG
Some cats have a low tolerence threshhold and they can't cope with
too
much stimualtion. She was in a tense situation with the stress
building up and the squeaky toy was the trigger that set her off. I
don't think her behaviour was odd,
it's understandable and I think other cats could have reacted like
that too.
Giving a cat time out doesn't have to be a punishment. some cats
prefer to spend some time on their own, the same as we do. It's best
to be vigilant and not let the situation deteriorate to the point
where the cat attacks, try to anticipate and seperate before it
happens, though that can be easier said than done.
Alison

Old August 3rd 05, 03:18 AM
Brad

wrote:

[...]

Janet you should really listen to Charlie his method of starving the
offending dog for several days is well known around here, If the
starvation doesn't work you simply kill the animal. Thats the kind of
solid thinking that comes from him.

By the way I don't condone yanking the animal so hard that you throw
him off his feet but a good sharp snap on the chain with a stout no is
a good way to train a dog especially for walking at a pace with you.

Brad

Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved
body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,
shouting......." HOLY @#$%... WHAT A RIDE!"