Coming clean...

Old September 8th 06, 03:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
meeee

Default Coming clean...

Well, I want to broach a topic with you all. In my time offline I had some
time to think about things, and the reason I started usenetting was to enjoy
talking to like minded people without a lot of the superficial judging that
is attached to real life. I am not naiive enough to expect a total lack of
prejudice on usenet; I merely refer to the lack of physical/ethnic etc
prejudice that is less prevalent here and makes it easier for us all to
relate as people. I dislike hiding things, as you can't keep it up for very
long. I have been aware for some time that some of you are involved with
animal cruelty organisations, and noticed, especially in American groups
(not this one so much) that breeding is viewed as evil in all it's forms,
and never mentioned other than critically. However, I am a registered
breeder of Siamese and Balinese (some of you may already be aware of this as
I mentioned my website in other groups). I know a little bit about breeding
in the US from what you have said, and what I have observed during my
research, and it is very different to Australian breeding. I realize that
many of you will disagree with me on ethical basis about breeding cats
altogether, but the fact remains that we do. I am not opening this topic in
order to start a debate, but because I have enjoyed being part of this group
immensely, but cannot continue to take part while ignoring half my family. I
will elaborate briefly on my practises, and if the overall consensus is that
you cannot stand being in the same room as myself, then so be it, I have
enjoyed my time here and will leave you in peace.
I am an ethical breeder, and member of an ethical breeding society. We
breed, sell, and show our cats, but on a much smaller scale than overseas.
Shows are quite informal and very friendly,with very little 'competitive
spirit' and with a lot of teamwork. Older breeders mentor younger ones
readily, however are usually very selective about who they choose to give a
breeding cat to. Most of us desex kittens before sale as pets; I do, and the
only breeders who don't desex would if they could. Unfortunately vets here
are a bit 'behind the times' and will not desex before the age of 6 months.
There is only one breeder in my city who desexes at 3 months. Breeders who
cannot desex withhold papers until proof of desexing is shown, and can take
a cat back if not desexed. I keep my cats all indoors with me, and my
kittens are raised indoors and with people. I carefully vet would-be owners
and make sure they are educated about their new charge. I educate them if
necessary, and keep in touch to provide support. People who purchase a cat
from me are not buying one in lieu of buying a shelter cat. They are wanting
a Siamese specifically. If anything, people buy a cat from me instead of
buying one from a pet shop. So that is me. They are part of my family, and I
see no reason to pretend to anyone. Feel free to disagree, or question, I
will answer questions but not argue. I have enjoyed being part of this
group, and will miss it heaps, but this is part of my life and I see no
reason to hide it.

Old September 8th 06, 03:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"meeee" wrote in message
[...]

Now doesn't that feel better?

Just kidding. Personally, I love Siamese cats. Not Siamese show cats
particularly, but purebred Siamese cats. No two of them are alike, but they
are totally different from "ordinary" cats. We have over a lifetime usually
had one Siamese in residence and one DSH. The domestics have all been
rescue feral cats.

Without getting into all the arguments, I love beauty in its many and varied
forms. I think purebred animals embody a form of beauty that would be lost
without careful and dedicated breeders that try to preserve and improve the
lines.

Jake is our fourth Siamese cat. Each of them has been a wonderful
experience. One we could not have enjoyed without breeders such as
yourself.

Jo

Old September 8th 06, 04:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

On 2006-09-07 21:38:21 -0500, "meeee"
said:

[...]

The main thing people have trouble with is indescriminate backyard
breeders which are no better than puppy mills. Lois on this group also
breeds. I don't consider responsible breeders to be nearly the cause of
the pet overpopulation in the U.S. as I do people who simply don't get
their pets fixed and dumpers. Dumpers reeeeaaally p*ss me off.

Old September 8th 06, 04:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl

On Thu 07 Sep 2006 10:38:21p, meeee wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
):

[...]

[...]

Liz, I am against the breeding of dogs and cats because of over-
population, but there is a time and a place for arguing that. I
don't take every opportunity, like in this group for example, to
stand on my soapbox and scream and point fingers. I have a very
good friend who breeds poodles, and while I'm against it, I respect
her belief that she is helping to improve the breed she loves and
shows. Showing is another activity that gets me a little upset,
depending on how it's done, but I understand that those who show
[dogs or cats or chickens or name-your-favorite] usually have a
deep love of their favorite species/breed, and are dedicated to
trying to eliminate genetic defects. When the line crosses to
abuse/collecting/fraud/lack of caring about the breed in leu of
money, well that's another story.

Please feel free to be yourself. That's all we can be.

--
Cheryl

Old September 8th 06, 04:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
meeee

Now doesn't that feel better?

Just kidding. Personally, I love Siamese cats. Not Siamese show cats
particularly, but purebred Siamese cats. No two of them are alike, but
they are totally different from "ordinary" cats. We have over a lifetime
usually had one Siamese in residence and one DSH. The domestics have all
been rescue feral cats.

Without getting into all the arguments, I love beauty in its many and
varied forms. I think purebred animals embody a form of beauty that would
be lost without careful and dedicated breeders that try to preserve and
improve the lines.

Jake is our fourth Siamese cat. Each of them has been a wonderful
experience. One we could not have enjoyed without breeders such as
yourself.

Jo

Thankyou for being so kind. I understand where people who disagree with
breeding come from, but dislike being tarred with the same brush as breeders
who practise unethical breeding.

I have always wanted a Siamese, for their character as well as beauty, and
try to raise them so people can enjoy them. They are incredible to know, and
watching them grow up is proving to be wonderful. i am actually a very new
breeder, and Cougher has just had her first litter, so i thought i'd just
come clean before I accidentally bubbled over with joy about the kittens and
got flamed by someone. Without putting down my beloved moggies, who are no
less beautiful and interesting than Siamese, in fact someone is trying to
get the Aussie Moggie registered as a distinct breed (Antipodean Shorthair)
I believe it is important to maintain the breeds, especially 'native' breeds
like the Siamese. I am glad to find another Siamese-o-phile; they are not
quite cats, but furry people (well they think they are!!) I will be putting
up kitten pics soon if you want a drool.....

Old September 8th 06, 04:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lois

"meeee" wrote in message
[...]

Very well put meee, you and I would get on so well, I am a registered
breeder of Burmese, my ethic's are much the same as your's, am fussy where
my "babies" go and desex before leaving home. I have been breeding now for
20 years.
My litter of 5 left home this week, the house is quiet.
Can you put up your web address so I can have a look - thanks

Good luck to you, you are in for fun, laugher and yes from time to time
heartache as you travel this road in your chosen hobby

Best wishes

Lois

--
http://zeotropeburmese.kiwiwebhost.net.nz

Burmese are like potato chips, you can't just have one!

Old September 8th 06, 04:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
meeee

The main thing people have trouble with is indescriminate backyard
breeders which are no better than puppy mills. Lois on this group also
breeds. I don't consider responsible breeders to be nearly the cause of
the pet overpopulation in the U.S. as I do people who simply don't get
their pets fixed and dumpers. Dumpers reeeeaaally p*ss me off.

Yes I agree. We think someone dumped my Jasmine. I also have rescued several
kittens from similar situations. I am thinking of having my kittens
microchipped in my name so if they are dumped they will be tracked back to
me, but I am still researching the logistics; whether the owner can change
the address etc. Ideally I would like to microchip in my name permanently so
it doesn't matter where they go, they can always be traced back to me. We
keep an eye out in the papers and pet shops for backyard breeders; that way
we can make sure we tell each other and don't give them any of our cats. It
makes me very angry, especially if I found out it had happened to one of my
babies. One of the reasons I never found homes for Jasmine's is that i
couldn't be sure people would look after them; I've put so much effort into
them, as much as my pure breds, but as they are 'free' and don't cost $400
and come with papers, it attracts the people who want a 'free' cat meaning a
worthless and disposable cat. And I was not about to give my boys to anyone
like that....thank god my landlord likes cats!!!

Old September 8th 06, 04:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
meeee

[...]

Thankyou Cheryl I agree with you on showing; it can cross the line
sometimes, where apparently normal people become temporarily insane. I don't
know what your show are like; I have only been to regional QLd shows where
its more of a get together and look at each other's babies affair; quite low
key and fun. I am totally with you on inappropriate breeding; no one I know
earns any money breeding; and my association is quite strict about ethics; I
had to be vouched for by another breeder who'd checked me out thoroughly
before being allowed to join. Thankyou for being accepting

Old September 8th 06, 05:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
meeee

, Very well put meee, you and I would get on so well, I am a registered
breeder of Burmese, my ethic's are much the same as your's, am fussy where
my "babies" go and desex before leaving home. I have been breeding now for
20 years.
My litter of 5 left home this week, the house is quiet.
Can you put up your web address so I can have a look - thanks

Good luck to you, you are in for fun, laugher and yes from time to time
heartache as you travel this road in your chosen hobby

Best wishes

Lois

--
http://zeotropeburmese.kiwiwebhost.net.nz

Burmese are like potato chips, you can't just have one!

Thankyou Lois! I have a litter of 6 at the moment; my first litter (aside
from Jasmine's) and so much fun!! I haven't got any pics of the babies up
yet as I just got back online today, but I'll be putting them up tomorrow.
Here's the website;

www.pacificsiamese.bravehost.com

Thanks for your kind words Lois

--
'Yes, Life,' said the Cat, 'with its dim, delicious half-tones and veiled
indeterminate distances. Its surprisals, escapes, encounters, and dizzying

Old September 8th 06, 05:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

meeee wrote:
I am an ethical breeder, and member of an ethical breeding society. We

I don't see a problem with ethical breeders. If it weren't for them, I
wouldn't have my beloved Basho, Issa, Maya and Luna!

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he