Yet Another Indoor-Only-Cat Reason

Old July 24th 03, 08:30 PM
LeeAnne

Default Yet Another Indoor-Only-Cat Reason

(I snipped this from another newsgroup and thought it fitting to post here)

Snipped form spokekesman-review.com

Family of burned cat spots him on news, hopes for his survival
Max had been missing before boy recognized him; woman hopes attackers
are punished.

The Womacks wondered where Max the cat had gone.
Max never wandered far from their Spokane Valley yard, Bernie Womack
said.
Womack and her sons were horrified to find out their beloved family pet
had been deliberately set on fire and is so badly burned he might not
survive.
"I can't believe somebody would do something like that to an animal. I'm
just hoping he doesn't die," 20-year-old Chris Womack said.
Two 17-year-olds were arrested in the Sunday night attack, which took
place near Centennial Middle School. The teenagers said they poured
gasoline and set the cat on fire because they were bored, according to
an investigation by the Spokane Valley Police Department.
Both were booked into juvenile detention on suspicion of first-degree
animal cruelty, a felony. Their names could not be obtained from Spokane
Valley police.
Bernie Womack said she hopes prosecutors don't discount the case. If the
teenagers were responsible for burning the cat, Womack said, she hopes
they get more severe punishment than community service.
"It was a family pet, but it was also a living thing and it was just so
senseless," Womack said.
Her son, Karl Womack, 17, saw a television report on the incident Monday
afternoon and recognized the cat as Max. The cat had been missing since
Sunday evening.
Karl and Chris Womack went out to the Animal Clinic at Liberty Lake on
Monday evening, hoping they were mistaken. They knew the instant they
saw the injured cat that it was Max.
The incident started at 11:30 p.m. Sunday when Spokane Valley police
were called to the scene by witnesses who had seen a burning cat running
through a field, near the intersection of Broadway and Park.
Witnesses blocked a truck at the scene so no one could drive away before
officers arrived. Spokane Valley police traced the license number on the
truck and arrested the teens at a nearby home.
Max, a brown tabby, remains at the Animal Clinic. It was still unclear
Tuesday afternoon whether he would survive.
Bernie Womack had high praise for veterinarian Mark Fosberg, who has
been caring for Max.
Fosberg has told her not to worry about the veterinary bills. People
have been calling in with offers for donations, Womack said.

--
------
If you're an insomniac, agnostic, dyslexic do you lay

Old July 25th 03, 08:45 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...

(I snipped this from another newsgroup and thought it fitting to post here)

Snipped form spokekesman-review.com

Family of burned cat spots him on news, hopes for his survival
Max had been missing before boy recognized him; woman hopes attackers
are punished.

Many, many more cases of things like this at
www.pet-abuse.com.
It's a sick world we live in these days.

~kaeli~
Black holes were created when God divided by 0.
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion
that life is serious.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace
Old July 29th 03, 09:54 PM
bewtifulfreak

"No One But Me" wrote in message

"kaeli" wrote in message

Many, many more cases of things like this at www.pet-abuse.com.
It's a sick world we live in these days.

i think its pretty sick to go over to that website if you're an animal

lover
& gawk at how those animals have been abused.

I don't think she was suggesting that you have a good gawk, but just
presenting evidence to support her opinion that there are many good reasons
to have an indoor-only cat.

Ann

Old August 2nd 03, 05:49 AM
DeAnna

Well, I hope you live at least a thousand miles from any other human. Otherwise, your
judgment is likely in vain.

No one knows what evil may be hidden in the heart of a fellow man. Look at what a
wonderfully nice man Ted Bundy appeared to be. Cruelty to animals is considered a warning
sign when profiling serial killers.

I truly hope your words never come back to haunt you.....for the sake of your cats.

D.

"Bob Brenchley." wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 14:45:36 -0500, kaeli
wrote:

In article ,
enlightened us with...

(I snipped this from another newsgroup and thought it fitting to post here)

Snipped form spokekesman-review.com

Family of burned cat spots him on news, hopes for his survival
Max had been missing before boy recognized him; woman hopes attackers
are punished.

Many, many more cases of things like this at www.pet-abuse.com.
It's a sick world we live in these days.

If you live in an area where, for whatever reason, you feel unable to
allow a healthy cat its freedom to roam for at least some time each
day (and only you can judge your area) then don't have a cat. To have
a healthy cat, knowing you will keep it in 24/7 marks you are being
cruel, selfish, or both.

--
Bob.

You have not been charged for this lesson. Please pass it to all your
friends so they may learn as well.

Old August 2nd 03, 04:49 PM
Bob Brenchley.

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 23:49:32 -0500, "DeAnna"
wrote:

"Bob Brenchley." wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 14:45:36 -0500, kaeli
wrote:

In article ,
enlightened us with...

(I snipped this from another newsgroup and thought it fitting to post here)

Snipped form spokekesman-review.com

Family of burned cat spots him on news, hopes for his survival
Max had been missing before boy recognized him; woman hopes attackers
are punished.

Many, many more cases of things like this at www.pet-abuse.com.
It's a sick world we live in these days.

If you live in an area where, for whatever reason, you feel unable to
allow a healthy cat its freedom to roam for at least some time each
day (and only you can judge your area) then don't have a cat. To have
a healthy cat, knowing you will keep it in 24/7 marks you are being
cruel, selfish, or both.

Moronic posting style corrected. You have not been charged for this
service but I reserve the right to charge in the future if you make
the same mistake again.

Well, I hope you live at least a thousand miles from any other human. Otherwise, your
judgment is likely in vain.

No one knows what evil may be hidden in the heart of a fellow man. Look at what a
wonderfully nice man Ted Bundy appeared to be. Cruelty to animals is considered a warning
sign when profiling serial killers.

But most people are not serial killers.

I truly hope your words never come back to haunt you.....for the sake of your cats.

As I've said so many times. If you live in an area where, for whatever
reason, you feel unable to allow a healthy cat its freedom to roam for
at least some time each day (and PLEASE NOTE - only you can judge your

Old August 3rd 03, 07:50 AM
L. Kelly

"DeAnna" wrote in message
| But most people are not serial killers.
|
| It matters not that *most* aren't. What matters is that you don't come across those few
| who ARE.
|

| You have not been charged for this lesson. Please pass it to all your
| friends so they may learn as well.
|
| Lesson returned as defective. No refund requested or expected.
|
| Judge others not, that you may not be judged by the same standards.....
|
| D.

As a further note in trying to reason with Bob.....I read a quote today that I think fits
him perfectly and thought that I would share it will all who are interested.

"How much easier it is to be critical, than to be correct." ... Benjamin Disraeli

In the debate on whether or not to keep a cat strictly indoors, or let it have some
outdoor freedom, there really is no "right" or "wrong." I feel that the cats will let the
slaves know if they are unhappy. As long as the cats are fed, loved, happy and healthy,
the slave should have the right to chose what is "good" for their cat.

In rural areas, with fewer dangers...let your cats have some freedom. In the city,
wrought with every kind of evil you can imagine, use your best judgement...and let your
kitties always be your guides in what that decision is.

--
Hugs,
Lynn

*strip CLOTHES to reply*
Homepage:
http://members.shaw.ca/sewfinefashions/
See my boys: http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/papavince_29/

Old August 3rd 03, 08:02 PM
DeAnna

Lynn-

I used to be a 'rural' kinda gal, and my mother lived way in the boonies in Tennessee. She
had this mostly-housecat-but-night-huntress, named Missy. She was an exquisite cat,
fine-boned and long-haired, with a wonderful personality and exceptional intelligence. One
night, she went to the door, asking to go out. As was the custom, Mother let her out, and
a few moments later, heard a loud 'fluttering' like the beating of very large wings, and a
cat scream. Missy never returned.

Losing a child, whether one born of your own body, or one born of the love in your heart,
is a terrible experience. My kids don't go out unless they are directly supervised. My
mother was heartbroken, and I don't think ever quite recovered. We have had many pets over
the years, and every once in a blue moon you find that "special" one, that is a one in a
million feline soulmate. Mine was the one I call 'my son' who died of complications of
FUS. Hers was Missy.

I totally agree that it is a matter of opinion and discretion as to indoor/outdoor. I just
know for me, that I don't deal well with losing a baby, and all my kitties are my babies.
(As well as the dog). I myself have a serious medical problem, and have postponed my own
medical treatment due to the astronomical vet expenses we have incurred in just the last
month. (One cat with serious health issues, and one newcomer who needed
tests/shots/spayed). But they come first, as they don't have the choice to help
themselves.

My cats lack for nothing, except the 'great outdoors' which is now hovering at the 100
mark with a heat index of just a bit more. The cats are actually RUNNING from the blast of
hot air when the door opens. The cat that had been strictly an 'outdoor' cat for years, is
the most adamant on staying inside. (This is the one will all the health issues-the time
to pay the piper for his "freedom" has arrived-much of his illnesses are complications
from being struck by a car.) And my newest feral runs away from the door every time I go
near it, like she is afraid I would toss her out of it. She seems to be a 'confined
spaces' kind of girl, loving the nook under the bed, and moving her own "bed" from the
middle of the floor in the huge master bath, to a corner of my closet (I am now forced to
leave the closet doors open). So I think much of it depends on the individual cat.

My darling hubby is out in the garage, sweating profusely, as he assembles a table saw,
which we bought for the sole purpose of constructing cat furniture. I have designed a 'cat
station' which protects their food from the dog, gives them climbing area, and also
scratch and play objects. Hopefully, they will enjoy it. A larger 'kitty bathroom' is in
the works. I have an 'enclosure' from Petsmart, but it is way too small, and will go to
the bathroom to house litter box #3, for the more delicate kitties. For my step-cat, a
male who is a stander, not a squatter, we need a taller box to accommodate a dome lid cat
pan. It looks like we have our (wood)work cut out for us. LOL.

I totally agree with your assessment on Mr. Brenchley. Perhaps he is a lonely, bitter
soul, who only feels validated by being critical and insulting to others. I don't know. As
a gentle, compassionate soul, I cannot fathom this kind of anti-social behaviour, so I am
merely guessing.

Most people who love cats have hearts of pure gold. It takes a lot of love and patience to
care for our animal friends, and learn to deal with the fact, that just like our human
offspring, they aren't always perfect. (I am washing the futon mattress with vinegar right
now....*sigh*).

I am very, very leery of people who do not like animals. I have found the most
trustworthy, true blue friends you can have are fellow animal lovers.

Hugs back!

D.

"L. Kelly" wrote in message
. ca...

Old August 4th 03, 02:33 AM
bewtifulfreak

DeAnna,

My heart was rended when I read the story of Missy, how heartbroken and
helpless your mom must have felt, and how terrifying for Missy! Not to
mention you losing your soulmate as well. I understand how you feel about
your fur children; I feel the same, and we had a cat from when I was five
that my mom called her "middle child". I think it's great that you put your
cats first....as you said, they can't help themselves, they depend on you
(though I do hope you are taking care of yourself as well)! And I think
your assesment of Mr. Brenchly, though not from personal experience, is
right on; many insecure people make themselves feel better by convincing
themselves they are better than or know more than others, that they are
always right and everyone else is wrong (if they accept that someone else
may be right, they feel that that would make them wrong; they tend not to
see that one person being right doesn't necessarily make another wrong). I,
too, am a gentle and compassionate soul, but unfortunately grew up bearing
the brunt of this malady, so I understand it all too well. Anyway, it
sounds like you are a wonderful caretaker who has seen both sides of the
coin, and does the best to make the safest and most satisfying compromises
for her kitty companions. Kudos to you, you most certainly are a Sweet
Spirit....

Hugs,
Ann

Old August 4th 03, 04:26 AM
DeAnna

Why thank you, Ann. You seem like a very compassionate, kind, caring person also. It is
nice to make friends with similar interests, such as loving and caring for our furry
children.

I just recently found these newsgroups, and hope to learn lots here! Thank you for all the
help you give.

D.

Old August 4th 03, 10:40 AM
bewtifulfreak

"DeAnna" wrote in message
Why thank you, Ann. You seem like a very compassionate, kind, caring

person also. It is
nice to make friends with similar interests, such as loving and caring for

our furry
children.

Absolutely.

I just recently found these newsgroups, and hope to learn lots here! Thank

you for all the
help you give.

And thank you, I appreciate all you've shared as well....I've only just
found these groups myself, and already I've gotten a wealth of good info!

Thank you for the kind words.

Ann