is it cruel to keep a cat inside that used to be an outdoor cat?

Old September 30th 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Outsider

Default is it cruel to keep a cat inside that used to be an outdoor cat?

"Lynne" wrote in
ups.com:

So we got him a harness and leash and
took him on walks around the yard. He LOVED it. He didn't even seem
to care that I was following him closely even when he ran and jumped.

If you think about it, why would he mind having his favorite human servant
there in case of a sudden need!
Old September 30th 06, 04:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
kitkat via CatKB.com

I always find this forum so helpful. I've done the harness thing but one in
particular manages to wiggle out all the time (maybe I'm doing a bad job) -
it has that breakaway feature around the neck and that is a big problem.

BUT - to those that recommended an enclosure - my boyfriend and I have
considered this. we couldn't put a fence around the entire house however, as
we live on a lake - and I don't think my boyfriend is big on covering our
nice view. - this is a second reason I'm afraid to let them out - I don't
want them to slip and drown if the breakwall is slippery or something.
having a really tiny enclosure (we have a VERY small yard) seems more like a
playpen and not exactly the thrill of freedom that I'm thinking they crave.

I'll try the harness thing again - maybe it's too big.

Thanks so much for all of the advice. I've got a lot to think about.

p.s. the two boys are both neutered - but the one year old is a total nut and
really wants out.

Old September 30th 06, 05:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 15:31:56 GMT, "kitkat via CatKB.com" u26561@uwe
wrote:

BUT - to those that recommended an enclosure - my boyfriend and I have
considered this. we couldn't put a fence around the entire house however, as
we live on a lake - and I don't think my boyfriend is big on covering our
nice view. - this is a second reason I'm afraid to let them out - I don't
want them to slip and drown if the breakwall is slippery or something.
having a really tiny enclosure (we have a VERY small yard) seems more like a
playpen and not exactly the thrill of freedom that I'm thinking they crave.

Don't make the assumption that they are out for the "thrill of
freedom". I live in a townhome that has an fenced patio between the
house and the detached garage/carport. It's roughly 17x17 feet, with
planter beds along the two edges, and trees on both sides (thankfully
on the other side of the fences). The cats go out there, walk the
edges sniffing a bit, and then generally go find a nice sunny spot to
curl up in. They do like to watch the wildlife that comes to the
trees, and the squirrels that perch up on the roofs, and apparently I
have lizards living in the plants somewhere, because a few have come
in with the cats, although generally it's just the tails. They love
getting to go out there, and will run to the door if I ask if they
want to go out, but, surprisingly to me, they mostly nap when they are
out there. And when I took them for walks, it really was the same
issue... walk a little bit, then settle down for a while to wait for
something to come by, then walk a little bit more.

So, they don't necessarily need a huge spot to go out in. I'd look
for a spot with at least some sunlight, breezes, and interesting
things going on around it.

Rebecca
Old September 30th 06, 06:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
The Polish-Kraut

wrote:

BUT - to those that recommended an enclosure - my boyfriend and I have
considered this. we couldn't put a fence around the entire house however, as
we live on a lake - and I don't think my boyfriend is big on covering our
nice view.

Who said anything about fencing the house ?!?!?!?

An enclosure for the cat does not mean that the house has to go in it.
Are you really that dense ?!?!? It is an enclosure for the cat!!!

Take a look at http://www.cats-on-line.com/ for a couple example.
Some larger examples are at http://www.just4cats.com/page7.html

They can be as big or small as a person wants to make them.
Old September 30th 06, 06:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"kitkat via CatKB.com" u26561@uwe wrote in message
[...]

Two words: screened enclosure. Off to the side, not in the way of the
view.

If hubby is handy, (or you are!) take a look he

http://www.brushyland.com/cats/enclose.htm

Below is a simple kit:

http://www.purrfectfence.com/

I really like the last one here, where they go out through
a window:

http://www.animalnetwork.com/cats/enclosure.asp

Old September 30th 06, 08:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

[...]

Here's another option--looks pretty cool and will not obstruct the
http://www.purrfectfence.com/

Old September 30th 06, 09:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
kitkat via CatKB.com

foremost Kraut WORST- I'm not dense. The reason to ask questions is to get
answers. Sadly you appear to enjoy criticism more than support.

as for a screened in enclosure - we have one in the backyard - one of the
cats tore it and slipped out - but something more study may work and I'll
look into the kind links several of you provided.