[OT] The longest 10 minutes of my life

Old May 8th 08, 08:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

Default [OT] The longest 10 minutes of my life

"Yowie" wrote in message

It seemed like forever. A long forever at that. And then the *%%$)&^$!!!!
emerged from under a clothes stand, giggling. "Boo!" he said at me.

So, I did what all mothers have done down through the ages. "Oh thank God
you're OK", I gushed, hugging him fiercely. And then whacked that little
smart arse as hard as I could and yelled "And don't you ever run away
again!!!!!".

So, he went straight to bed when we got home. I had a stern talk with
him - he told me that he thought it was 'hide and seek' and in return I
had to tell him about What Might Happen to Little Boys Who Run Away.
Innocence has been lost.

This of course would have been a funny anecdote if Cary was a cat. Cary,
though, is not a cat, and at the moment I can't see any funny side to it.
I am both absolutely furious at him and so so *so* relieved we found him.
I need a drink. And a stiff one at that.

Thank Bast who takes care of mothers, small children and cats. Or is that
Freya?

When Mandy was a baby and Mike was four years old, I had to go into the
hospital for a hysterectomy. All my night gowns were pretty worn out, so I
decided that I needed a new one. So I'm in the mall in Hopkinsville
Kentucky, going through the nightgowns at a chain store. Mandy is in her
car seat in the shopping cart and Mike is standing beside me with strict
instructions to stay with me. I'm picking up a ghastly yellow creation in a
sad rayon fabric and I notice that Mike is missing. I shove it into the
cart and head up to the check out line to report my child as missing and
among the presumed abducted. I'm halfway there when I hear "Will the mother
of Michael Shirk please come to the check out register. She is lost and
needs to be found." I rush up to the desk, am re-united with my son, and
end up buying the nasty yellow rayon night gown because I need one and I
don't want to go through this again. The stupid thing was a size or two too
small to boot. B*st*rd Kid Trick.

Pam S

Old May 8th 08, 09:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

I never lost kids in the store, always at home. Not seeing well, I would
put those little bells on their shoes. My Mike learned to walk across the
floor, leaning over and holding them so they didn't make noise. I soon
learned to pin them on the back of his shirt. He used to hide from me but
that wasn't a problem. He would hold his breath but, all I had to do was
wait, eventually he would explode and I would get him. Stacie didn't have a
chance because Mike would say "Here she is Mom.".
"tanadashoes" wrote in message
m...

Old May 9th 08, 12:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

Adrian wrote:
Yowie wrote:
Nothing terribly out of the ordinary for a Thursday evening. Joel
made dinner, we ate it and were sitting around watching TV.

"We need need bread for tomorrow" he said.

"Ok, I'll go out, I need to get a few more fish anyway," I replied,
as the last of my neons was floating upside down in my tank, "I'll
take Cary too if you like."

I asked Cary whether he wanted to go to the shops and get some new
fishies, and got an enthusiastic answer.

So I bundled Cary into the car, and off we went to the local mall
(Thursday evenings being late night shopping night)

He picked out a loaf of bread and wanted to hold it as we continued.
He also held the bag with the lettuce in it, and the package with the
slices of ham. He waited relatively patiently at the checkout and was
happy to hold hte shopping bag. At least until we got into the pet
shop.
Not unexpectedly, one peek at the kitties (and puppies) and he was no
longer interested in the shopping bad and being a big boy. So I got
the shopping bag and picked out my 3 new fishy neon pets whilst Cary
tried to do some luvvins through the glass front of the puppy crate
(the kitties were asleep). The shopkeeper and I chatted for a while,
Cary still entranced with the livestock.

Perhaps it was my fault. I said "And now...Escape!" as we left the
pet shop.
And off he went into the mall as fast as his little legs could take
him.
I screamed for him to come back. I saw a streak of him taking off
down the main hall of the mall. I screamed "Cary! Come Back" but he
dissappeared into the crowd. I yelled "Stop that boy!" but of course
people were too busy staring at the squawking madwoman inthe mall
than actually listening to what I was saying - let alone *acting* on
what I was trying to get them to do.
I ran as fast as I could after him, but it was no use. He was gone.

Thankfully a security guard was close and I grabbed him. "My child
has run away!"

He got Cary's description, what he was wearing, last know direction
etc andput it out on his radio. "Don't worry, we haven't lost one
yet".
No doubt he deals with this sort of thing all the time and it was
just another routine thing for him.

I as of course at wits end, screaming "CARY! CARY! Come here! NOW!"
in my best hysterical voice.

The security system went into action and I as frozen at the point I
last saw him, looking in all directions at once. "CARY!!!!"

[...]

So BCT can mean something other than, b*st*rd cat trick? ;-)

Cary could talk cat long before he could say a word of English. Shmogg
taught him very well.... *too* well. IBKFergus taught him how to race around
hte house at top speed making as much noise as possible, Pickle is teaching
him the art of quirky, surreal humour, and Suki, well, Suki I guess is just
teaching him how to be adorable (Suki, as far as I can tell, is only one
step up from being a white fluffy doorstop, but a *stunningly gorgeous*
white fluffy doorstop).

Heh. I keep going up to my un-childed friends, shaking their shoulders and
begging them to wear a condom for the sake of their sanity :-)

Yowie

Old May 9th 08, 05:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

On Thu, 08 May 2008 07:41:42 -0400, Magic Mood Jeep © wrote:

Yowie wrote:
[...]

Thankfully, Cary is OK! Can't say the same for your nerves, though
(unless you've had that stiff drink by now). I bet you see gray hairs
when you look in the mirror next

i remember one time when I was a kid, I used to like to climb into the
clothes racks at stores too. That stopped once, though, when I climbed
out and started following a lady that I soon found out was NOT my
mother, and was in a panic for 5 minutes not being able to find Mommy!
She was, fortunately, just a few aisles away, and I found her - and she
was none the wiser (at least I don't think she ever found out I was
missing for 5-10 minutes)... thereafter I dutifully followed Mommy when
in stores, NEVER letting her out of my sight..... until we hit the toy
aisles, anyway

When I was 14 or 15, I once opened a store door and a little boy, about 3
years old, came trotting out onto the sidewalk, which faced onto a busy
street. No grownup was in sight, so I asked him, "Where's your mommy?"
He replied, "She's in the store, looking at stuff." I took him by the
hand and led him back into the store. His mother turned out to be 50 or
60 feet into the store, and thought that her son was in the aisle behind
her, until she saw him approaching hand-in-hand with a stranger. I
explained what had happened, and she was very grateful for my action.
Apparently, as soon as her back was turned, her 3-year-old had made a
beeline for the outdoors.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from
Old May 9th 08, 09:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Yowie wrote:

Cary could talk cat long before he could say a word of English. Shmogg
taught him very well.... *too* well. IBKFergus taught him how to race
around hte house at top speed making as much noise as possible,
Pickle is teaching him the art of quirky, surreal humour, and Suki,
well, Suki I guess is just teaching him how to be adorable (Suki, as
far as I can tell, is only one step up from being a white fluffy
doorstop, but a *stunningly gorgeous* white fluffy doorstop).

Heh. I keep going up to my un-childed friends, shaking their
shoulders and begging them to wear a condom for the sake of their
sanity :-)
Yowie

Sanity is overated. Enjoy Cary while you can, I'm sure the good outweighs
the bad a hundred fold.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old May 9th 08, 10:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Yowie" wrote in message
[...]

OMG! There is no fear worse that what you've just experienced, thank GOD he
is OK!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old May 20th 08, 10:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

Yowie wrote:
snip
This of course would have been a funny anecdote if Cary was a cat. Cary,
though, is not a cat, and at the moment I can't see any funny side to it. I
am both absolutely furious at him and so so *so* relieved we found him. I
need a drink. And a stiff one at that.

Yowie

Lots of purrs and hugs,
Polonca and Soncek