OT, but I love it

Old April 11th 04, 03:22 AM
Seanette Blaylock

John F. Eldredge had some very interesting
things to say about OT, but I love it:

When I was in eighth grade, there was a question on a science test,
asking you to define an "organic chemical". I gave the definition
found in the textbook, "a chemical compound containing carbon." As
far as I know, this is still the standard definition. However, my
teacher graded the question as wrong. When I pointed this out to
her, she said that she disagreed with the textbook's definition. Her
definition, which I don't recall ever hearing her mention in class,
was that an organic chemical was one that living organisms made, and
that humans hadn't learned how to synthesize. Once we knew how to
make a given chemical by nonliving means, it ceased to be an organic
chemical, even if the batch of chemical in question had in fact been
made by a living organism. I didn't bother to go over her head to
the principal, but, had I done so, I probably could have gotten her
"false" ruling on my answer reversed, since what I had written
matched what the textbook said.

FWIW, your answer is the correct one, TTBOMM.

My DH gets aggravated by the "organic" label applied to foods, too.
His usual comment is along the lines of "OK, so if there are foods
that are *not* organic, why can't I find silicon-based carrots
anywhere?" [using carrots as an example]

--
"Don't mess with major appliances unless you know what you are doing
(or unless your life insurance policy is up-to-date)." - John, RCFL
Old April 11th 04, 03:31 AM
Sherry

My DH gets aggravated by the "organic" label applied to foods, too.
His usual comment is along the lines of "OK, so if there are foods
that are *not* organic, why can't I find silicon-based carrots
anywhere?" [using carrots as an example]

On produce & fruits, doesn't the "organic" label refer to the method in which
it was raised, though, and not the product itself? I always assume that the
"organic" labeling meant that the crops were raised without any chemical
fertilizers or pesticides.

Sherry

Old April 11th 04, 04:26 AM
Sherry

Point being that the word "organic" has a specific meaning in
chemistry and is being misused by being co-opted for references to
farming practices. You're right about that label, but it *is* a misuse
of a word that already *has* a definition. If you're saying, for
example, "this apple is organic", by implication another apple that
doesn't carry that label does not meet the "carbon-based" definition
of "organic". :-)

I see. So what you're saying is the proper label would be "organically grown."
The real eyeball-roller in the grocery store are those little stickers on the
oranges & such that say, "No Fat."
Duh.

Sherry

Old April 11th 04, 05:19 AM
Hopitus2

Am back w/my dearly missed Evil 3 tonight....treats for all to soothe my
guilt....uh, I don't know anything about chemistry (one thing the Hopitus
will admit is when it is ignorant of something) but maybe the
color-injectors w/the eggs *meant* "vegetable dye", which as far as I know,
isn't some petroleum-based poisonous substance.....are vegetables chemicals?
I dunno....I hope not.

"Seanette Blaylock" wrote in
message ...
: itty (Sherry ) had some very interesting things to
: say about OT, but I love it:
:
: Point being that the word "organic" has a specific meaning in
: chemistry and is being misused by being co-opted for references to
: farming practices. You're right about that label, but it *is* a misuse
: of a word that already *has* a definition. If you're saying, for
: example, "this apple is organic", by implication another apple that
: doesn't carry that label does not meet the "carbon-based" definition
: of "organic". :-)
: I see. So what you're saying is the proper label would be "organically
grown."
: The real eyeball-roller in the grocery store are those little stickers on
the
: oranges & such that say, "No Fat."
: Duh.
:
: What I'm saying is that another word needs to be found for the
: relevant set of farming practices so we can quit with the misuse of
: "organic". Any plant is grown "organically", since plant growth occurs
: via organic chemical processes. :-)
:
: --
: "Don't mess with major appliances unless you know what you are doing
: (or unless your life insurance policy is up-to-date)." - John, RCFL

Ladies Love Outlaws (The Saga of Sheba and Maximilian) GraceCat Cat anecdotes 11 March 2nd 04 06:04 PM
Cat Love Bites jmcquown Cat anecdotes 6 November 16th 03 11:15 AM
cats and why I love them Butternut_Jo Cat anecdotes 4 November 15th 03 10:36 PM
Love Calls in the Driveway Bev Cat anecdotes 11 October 17th 03 01:36 AM