Vino vs. Lucy and Bella

Old January 5th 07, 12:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
badwilson

Default Vino vs. Lucy and Bella

We had friends staying with us for 4 nights over New Year's. They came
with a 9 year old daughter and two 9 month old cocker spaniels in tow.
Dennis and I were very curious to see what Vino would make of it all.
He really was as cool as a cucumber. He walked slowly but purposefully
and always kept facing the dogs. But other than that he did not freak
out, hide or cower from them. They kind of wanted to play with him but
were scared to death. Our friends have 2 cats as well and apparently
they had taught Lucy and Bella some lessons on respect for cats in their
puppy-hood. So they would bounce up to Vino but come to a full stop
around 4 feet away, as if they had hit some kind of invisible barrier.
Vino just sat there and blinked at them. We could see his head swelling
to gargantuan proportions!
Near the end they dared come a bit closer and one time one of them even
sniffed his bum. Vino whipped around and raised his paw up and the pup
yowled and ran off. It was hysterical. Ohhh, the power!
Now that they are gone, Vino is swaggering around the house like the
king of the castle. Not like he wasn't doing that before, mind you ;-)
--
Britta
Purring is an automatic safety valve device for dealing with happiness

Old January 6th 07, 05:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

"badwilson" wrote:
Near the end they dared come a bit closer and one time one of them even
sniffed his bum. Vino whipped around and raised his paw up and the pup
yowled and ran off. It was hysterical. Ohhh, the power!
Now that they are gone, Vino is swaggering around the house like the
king of the castle. Not like he wasn't doing that before, mind you ;-)

He sounds like a very good big brother. It's amazing considering he's
been an only cat.

Old January 6th 07, 05:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Helen Miles

"badwilson" wrote in message

Near the end they dared come a bit closer and one time one of them even
sniffed his bum. Vino whipped around and raised his paw up and the pup
yowled and ran off. It was hysterical. Ohhh, the power!
Now that they are gone, Vino is swaggering around the house like the
king of the castle. Not like he wasn't doing that before, mind you ;-)

When I was looking after my friends 60lb labrador dog, HRFL Tiger taught
him a few manners. Shadow had never shared a house with cats and went to
chase HRFL Tiger. HRFL promptly turned around, wacked seven shades of
sh*t out of Shadows nose, and *VERY* firmly stated that *HE* was the
boss, to the point that Shadow would move away from his food dish if
Tiger walked into the kitchen and Shadow was eating. My friend reports
that if Shadow sees as cat on the street now, he tries to walk in the
opposite direction! Have to you ever seen a 60lb black lab scared of
cats?!

It doesn't help that Shadows life is likely to get worse..... there's a
strong possibility I may be adopting him in June as his mom has to move
into a flat and he may well need a new home...

Helen M (who reckons that HRFL will really sort Shadow out!)

Old January 6th 07, 08:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"Helen Miles" wrote in message
news:531f974ea03054b4f17d5c7ce0396c50.76411@mygate .mailgate.org...
"badwilson" wrote in message

[...]

Back when we had our Sam, out next door neighbor had a nice hunting hound.
Neighbor was a very nice man and proud of his dog.

Sam was a Siamese with a very loud and low voice. He was also crippled by
this time and had a three inch steel pin holding one back leg together.
Running was not an option for him. Now he could still scale an eight foot
fence so you can imagine the shoulders on him.

Every time poor Lucy (the dog) would get out, her nose would hit the ground
and she would head over here tracking the cats. Sam would hide in the
bushed and as she got close he would growl. He sounded like forty pounds of
wildcat. Lucy would proceed to pee on herself and head home squealing like
she'd been scalded. We thought it was funny but it embarrassed her owner.

Jo

Old January 7th 07, 04:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

"badwilson" wrote in message

[...]

One of my favorite scenes in the Victorian English novel _Three Men in
a Boat_ is where Montmorency the fox terrier encounters a large
tomcat:

We were, as I have said, returning from a dip, and half-way up the High
Street a cat darted out from one of the houses in front of us, and began
to trot across the road. Montmorency gave a cry of joy - the cry of a
stern warrior who sees his enemy given over to his hands - the sort of
cry Cromwell might have uttered when the Scots came down the hill - and
flew after his prey.

His victim was a large black Tom. I never saw a larger cat, nor a more
disreputable-looking cat. It had lost half its tail, one of its ears,
and a fairly appreciable proportion of its nose. It was a long, sinewy-
looking animal. It had a calm, contented air about it.

Montmorency went for that poor cat at the rate of twenty miles an hour;
but the cat did not hurry up - did not seem to have grasped the idea that
its life was in danger. It trotted quietly on until its would-be
assassin was within a yard of it, and then it turned round and sat down
in the middle of the road, and looked at Montmorency with a gentle,
inquiring expression, that said:

"Yes! You want me?"

Montmorency does not lack pluck; but there was something about the look
of that cat that might have chilled the heart of the boldest dog. He
stopped abruptly, and looked back at Tom.

Neither spoke; but the conversation that one could imagine was clearly as
follows:-

THE CAT: "Can I do anything for you?"

MONTMORENCY: "No - no, thanks."

THE CAT: "Don't you mind speaking, if you really want anything, you
know."

MONTMORENCY (BACKING DOWN THE HIGH STREET): "Oh, no - not at all -
certainly - don't you trouble. I - I am afraid I've made a mistake. I
thought I knew you. Sorry I disturbed you."

THE CAT: "Not at all - quite a pleasure. Sure you don't want anything,
now?"

MONTMORENCY (STILL BACKING): "Not at all, thanks - not at all - very kind
of you. Good morning."

THE CAT: "Good-morning."

Then the cat rose, and continued his trot; and Montmorency, fitting what
he calls his tail carefully into its groove, came back to us, and took up
an unimportant position in the rear.

To this day, if you say the word "Cats!" to Montmorency, he will visibly
shrink and look up piteously at you, as if to say:

"Please don't."

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from