Four kittens to TED Monday

Old January 17th 10, 05:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_4_]

Default Four kittens to TED Monday

Guinivere, Arthur, Johnny and Joey are going to be de-sexed in the morning.

As their foster meowmie I am worried, of course. I think Dave is, too.

We are using a new (to us) vet who kind of far away (40 miles), because her
fees are lower. She has a good reputation, but is mainly a large animal vet.
I don't like the fact that she doesn't do a flank incision on the girls,
uses ketamine, and keeps them overnight.

I've no clue how we'll manage to keep Guinivere quiet long enough to heal
properly. It's well-nigh impossible to keep one cat isolated here, even for
a few hours. I suppose she could stay in my dead minivan if it's not too
cold. But she will be sooooooo lonesome in there. Assuming she survives the
operation in the first place, that is

Old January 17th 10, 06:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Pat" wrote in message
et...
[...]

I'm sure she will be fine. All most cats need for isolation is a
quiet place to hang out, and I'm sure she has at least half a dozen
all mapped out and ready to use around your place.

I gave up of 'quiet time to heal' after the small poodle I used to
have was out and up on her hind legs begging food from the table only
hours after her puppy was delivered by C-Section. Only thing slowing
her down was she was still unsteady from the anesthetic.

Jo

Old January 17th 10, 06:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Pat" wrote in message
et...

I've no clue how we'll manage to keep Guinivere quiet long enough to heal
properly. It's well-nigh impossible to keep one cat isolated here, even
for
a few hours. I suppose she could stay in my dead minivan if it's not too
cold. But she will be sooooooo lonesome in there. Assuming she survives
the
operation in the first place, that is

Do you have a bathroom where you could close the door to contain her for a
couple of days? Or could you borrow a large cage from an animal shelter?

MaryL

Old January 18th 10, 03:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

"Pat" wrote:
Guinivere, Arthur, Johnny and Joey are going to be de-sexed in the morning.

As their foster meowmie I am worried, of course. I think Dave is, too.

We are using a new (to us) vet who kind of far away (40 miles), because her
fees are lower. She has a good reputation, but is mainly a large animal vet.
I don't like the fact that she doesn't do a flank incision on the girls,
uses ketamine, and keeps them overnight.

I've no clue how we'll manage to keep Guinivere quiet long enough to heal
properly. It's well-nigh impossible to keep one cat isolated here, even for
a few hours. I suppose she could stay in my dead minivan if it's not too
cold. But she will be sooooooo lonesome in there. Assuming she survives the
operation in the first place, that is

Awww, purrs for the little sweetie kittens.
Old January 18th 10, 07:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
catlady

On Jan 17, 11:49*am, "Pat" wrote:
Guinivere, Arthur, Johnny and Joey are going to be de-sexed in the morning.

As their foster meowmie I am worried, of course. I think Dave is, too.

We are using a new (to us) vet who kind of far away (40 miles), because her
fees are lower. She has a good reputation, but is mainly a large animal vet.
I don't like the fact that she doesn't do a flank incision on the girls,
uses ketamine, and keeps them overnight.

I've no clue how we'll manage to keep Guinivere quiet long enough to heal
properly. It's well-nigh impossible to keep one cat isolated here, even for
a few hours. I suppose she could stay in my dead minivan if it's not too
cold. But she will be sooooooo lonesome in there. Assuming she survives the
operation in the first place, that is

Why would you risk this if you have doubts about her surviving? Is
saving a few dollars more important to you than a kitten's life? I
would stand on the off ramp of a freeway with a sign asking for money
to pay the extra cost of surgery by a good vet I know before I would
take a kitten to a strange vet that treats cows and uses old-school,
poor anesthesia. Ketamine is nasty, nasty stuff that, as far as the
vet I work for is concerned, should be banned for use in surgeries. A
large animal vet is just that. Seeing small animals is not where their
best experience lies and there have been plenty of sad stories in the
groups over the years about people's experiences with such.
Old January 18th 10, 08:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_4_]

"catlady" wrote

Why would you risk this if you have doubts about her surviving? Is
saving a few dollars more important to you than a kitten's life?

I worry about the cat's survival each and every time one is spayed or
neutered, so nothing new there.

I would stand on the off ramp of a freeway with a sign asking for money
to pay the extra cost of surgery by a good vet I know before I would
take a kitten to a strange vet that treats cows and uses old-school,

I think the closest freeway on-ramp is about 60 miles. I did finally get
Kitty Safe Haven No-Kill Shelter registered as a non-profit charity with the
Sec. of State and got an EIN, but haven't set up the website nor done any
fundraising yet. Frankly, I've shied away from trying to raise money for the
cats' care because of people like you, who berate me for doing so.

poor anesthesia. Ketamine is nasty, nasty stuff that, as far as the
vet I work for is concerned, should be banned for use in surgeries. A
large animal vet is just that. Seeing small animals is not where their
best experience lies and there have been plenty of sad stories in the
groups over the years about people's experiences with such.

I dont' have the luxury of going to the vet I would ordinarily use, where I
would have to lay out almost $200 for the 4 surgeries. It will be under half
as much at this "cow vet". Even that is money I do not have, but for sure
will be less expensive than keeping intact cats around.

Thanks for helping to calm my mind, friend!

Old January 18th 10, 08:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_4_]

"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote

| Do you have a bathroom where you could close the door to contain her for a
| couple of days? Or could you borrow a large cage from an animal shelter?

No shelters in this area (at least 200 mile radius) that might have a cage
available to lend.

As to the bathrooms. One is torn up for floor and shower stall replacement
(we'll get around to it when we have a bit of cash to spare - maybe in 6
months or so), the other is very tiny and stuffed with things I don't have
anywhere else to store. Even the bathtub is filled up.

I think she'll be fine in the vehicle. I might even sleep out there with
her.

Old January 18th 10, 09:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Pat wrote:

I dont' have the luxury of going to the vet I would ordinarily use, where I
would have to lay out almost $200 for the 4 surgeries. It will be under half
as much at this "cow vet". Even that is money I do not have, but for sure
will be less expensive than keeping intact cats around.

Pat - would it be possible to get the boy cats neutered at the large
animal vet, since their surgery is a lot less risky, and bring the
girl to the more expensive vet? That way you don't have to spend $200,
but only $50 for her surgery, plus whatever the boys' neutering will
cost.

Joyce

--
Let's stop calling it "climate change", it's far too mild. It's like
calling a foreign invasion "unwanted visitors".
Old January 18th 10, 09:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_4_]

FYI this is the vet I will be using:

http://www.dogster.com/local/MO/Graf...burd_dvm-20646

Going by the review, at least one person trusts Dr. Burd.

Old January 18th 10, 09:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_4_]

wrote

| Pat - would it be possible to get the boy cats neutered at the large
| animal vet, since their surgery is a lot less risky, and bring the
| girl to the more expensive vet? That way you don't have to spend $200,
| but only $50 for her surgery, plus whatever the boys' neutering will
| cost.

Spaying at Dr. Johnson (who did Twiggy & Coco) is $61.

With Dr. Burd, the bill for all 4 will be $80.