Four kittens to TED Monday

Old January 18th 10, 09:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_4_]

Default Four kittens to TED Monday

wrote

| get the boy cats neutered at the large animal vet

Dr. Burd isn't strictly a large animal vet. Almost all the vets in this area
handle large animals. It's rural and there's a lot of livestock, as well as
dogs and cats. I can certainly attest to the dogs, as I live in what amounts
to a several-square-mile kennel. The barking is non-stop, I haven't really
slept in the 4 years I've been here!

Old January 18th 10, 11:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mishi[_2_]

On 1/18/2010 3:26 AM, Pat wrote:
-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote

| Do you have a bathroom where you could close the door to contain her for a
| couple of days? Or could you borrow a large cage from an animal shelter?

No shelters in this area (at least 200 mile radius) that might have a cage
available to lend.

As to the bathrooms. One is torn up for floor and shower stall replacement
(we'll get around to it when we have a bit of cash to spare - maybe in 6
months or so), the other is very tiny and stuffed with things I don't have
anywhere else to store. Even the bathtub is filled up.

I think she'll be fine in the vehicle. I might even sleep out there with
her.

I believe I read somewhere that Ketamine has been recalled:

http://articles.sfgate.com/2010-01-1...ing-recall-fda
or http://tinyurl.com/yekex5o

I would definitely ask the vet to check her lot numbers, just to be sure.

Also, please don't lock her in the car. She will be fine out with the
others. I never confine my girls after a spay. They know if it hurts,
and will act accordingly.

Good luck!
Mishi

Old January 18th 10, 12:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Pat wrote:

wrote

| Pat - would it be possible to get the boy cats neutered at the large
| animal vet, since their surgery is a lot less risky, and bring the
| girl to the more expensive vet? That way you don't have to spend $200,
| but only $50 for her surgery, plus whatever the boys' neutering will
| cost.

Spaying at Dr. Johnson (who did Twiggy & Coco) is $61.

You mean for just one cat?

With Dr. Burd, the bill for all 4 will be $80.

How much for 3? $60? That would be $120 for all 4, rather than $80
for 4. I know when you're broke, $40 is a lot of money. But if you're
really worried about Guineviere, maybe it's worth spending it?

Joyce

--
It is better to give than to lend, and it costs about the same.
-- Unknown
Old January 18th 10, 02:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Wayne Mitchell

Default Ketamine recall

Mishi wrote:

I believe I read somewhere that Ketamine has been recalled:

Not all ketamine, just that manufactured by Teva. But it's a mess
because Teva supplied ketamine for several different companies and
labels, and none of them were required to indicate that Teva was the
manufacturer, so each company has to do its own discovery and recall.
Needless to say, it is very difficult for a veterinary practice to find
out if their supply of ketamine is involved in the recall.

The good news is that there really haven't been very many questionable
cases reported. The added danger from suspect ketamine doesn't raise
the risk level much above that which attaches normally to such an
anesthetic.
--

Wayne M.
Old January 18th 10, 02:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_4_]

"Mishi" wrote

| I believe I read somewhere that Ketamine has been recalled:

http://articles.sfgate.com/2010-01-1...ing-recall-fda
| or http://tinyurl.com/yekex5o
|
| I would definitely ask the vet to check her lot numbers, just to be sure.

Thank you so much, I will!!!

Old January 18th 10, 02:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_4_]

"Wayne Mitchell" wrote

| it is very difficult for a veterinary practice to find
| out if their supply of ketamine is involved in the recall.

It shouldn't be that hard, when they can find a list of affected lot
numbers, he
http://www.avma.org/news/ketamine_recall_list.asp

Dave was already en route to the vet with the kitties before I read this
info. I am going to phone over there now and make sure they know.

Old January 18th 10, 02:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Pat" wrote in message
news

"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote

| Do you have a bathroom where you could close the door to contain her for
| couple of days? Or could you borrow a large cage from an animal
shelter?

No shelters in this area (at least 200 mile radius) that might have a cage
available to lend.

As to the bathrooms. One is torn up for floor and shower stall replacement
(we'll get around to it when we have a bit of cash to spare - maybe in 6
months or so), the other is very tiny and stuffed with things I don't have
anywhere else to store. Even the bathtub is filled up.

I think she'll be fine in the vehicle. I might even sleep out there with
her.

I would not confine her to a vehicle. That could be very stressful for her.
Most people probably do not confine their cats at all and just try to keep
an eye on them in the house.

MaryL

Old January 18th 10, 02:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_4_]

"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote

| I would not confine her to a vehicle. That could be very stressful for
her.
| Most people probably do not confine their cats at all and just try to keep
| an eye on them in the house.

Keeping a close enough eye on her in a house with 14 other cats/kittens is
not really an option.... The van has been used as a camper since it was new
(1987). The cats have always loved being in there. But of course if it
appears that Guinivere is uncomfortable or something, I will take her out.

Old January 18th 10, 02:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_4_]

"Mishi" wrote

| I would definitely ask the vet to check her lot numbers, just to be sure.

I just got off the phone with Dr. Burd. She hasn't got any of the recalled
lot numbers, and she uses xylazine rather than butorphanol.

So, no worries there!!!

Old January 18th 10, 03:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_4_]

wrote
| Pat wrote:
| Spaying at Dr. Johnson (who did Twiggy & Coco) is $61.
|
| You mean for just one cat?

That's right.

| I know when you're broke, $40 is a lot of money. But if you're
| really worried about Guineviere, maybe it's worth spending it?

I'm not really more worried about her than I've been with any of the other
girl-cats who've owned me. Of course it's comforting to go to the same vet
routinely and the flank incision does heal faster, but if you had any idea
how seriously these cats are already straining our little budget, you would
marvel that we don't simply toss them out to fend for themselves. I need to
find more ways to economize, not fewer. My #1 priority is ensuring they get
the best food we can afford, as a preventative measure so their vet bills
will be minimal in future. But lately I've had to cut back to using kibble
that does have some corn in it, but at least corn isn't the main ingredient.