is my cat in heat?

Old March 1st 05, 02:43 AM
Mr. Jim McManus

-L. wrote:

It's actually an old wives' tale - that using a Q-tip in this manner
will induce ovulation and thus take the cat out of heat. We used to
get questions about this at the feline specialty clinic where I

worked,
all the time. Any vet worth a pence would not recommend doing this

a cat.

I really don't know if he told them it would take them out of heat as
much as it would provide the cat (as well as the rest of the household)
some degree of relief. As I mentioned before they weren't my cats. I
was just a bit shocked to behold the entire experience. As I said
before the cats didn't seem to suffer from the experience. I must also
say that whatever *benefit* the kittens may have recieved from this was
certainly temporary at best.

Old March 1st 05, 02:46 AM
Mary

"Mr. Jim McManus" wrote in message
ups.com...
-L. wrote:

It's actually an old wives' tale - that using a Q-tip in this manner
will induce ovulation and thus take the cat out of heat. We used to
get questions about this at the feline specialty clinic where I

worked,
all the time. Any vet worth a pence would not recommend doing this

a cat.

I really don't know if he told them it would take them out of heat as
much as it would provide the cat (as well as the rest of the household)
some degree of relief. As I mentioned before they weren't my cats. I
was just a bit shocked to behold the entire experience. As I said
before the cats didn't seem to suffer from the experience. I must also
say that whatever *benefit* the kittens may have recieved from this was
certainly temporary at best.

If you do a web search on it, you will see that many claim that
breeders do this. It is definitely not an "old wives tale."

Old March 1st 05, 03:09 AM
-L.

Mr. Jim McManus wrote:
-L. wrote:

It's actually an old wives' tale - that using a Q-tip in this

manner
will induce ovulation and thus take the cat out of heat. We used

get questions about this at the feline specialty clinic where I

worked,
all the time. Any vet worth a pence would not recommend doing this

a cat.

I really don't know if he told them it would take them out of heat as
much as it would provide the cat (as well as the rest of the

household)
some degree of relief.

Yeah - it's passed around as a way to "satisfy" a queen. There's no
basis in veterinary medicine for it, though. Like I said, no decent
vet would advocate the practice.

As I mentioned before they weren't my cats. I
was just a bit shocked to behold the entire experience.

Um, well...yeah...I would be too!

As I said
before the cats didn't seem to suffer from the experience. I must

also
say that whatever *benefit* the kittens may have recieved from this

was
certainly temporary at best.

We used to have people call and ask about it all the time. We'd tell
them to *please* not do that, and to just to bring their cat in to be
spayed - it's amazing what lengths people will go to to avoid the
inevitable.

-L.