New cat still hiding after 30 hours

Old July 14th 03, 12:50 AM

Default New cat still hiding after 30 hours

I would not say I am worried, but just wondering how long this might
go on and how I might coax new cat Destiny out of hiding:

Picked my new 1 1/2 year cat
up yeterday from the cat room at the Humane Society where
she seemed fond enough of my petting. Took her for a vet exam
and shots on the way home. SInce coming home, she's spent
almost all the time out of reach under the queen bed, avoiding
Duey my 10 year old cat and me. Not making any noise, except
some pleasant sounds when I reach in and pet her. She also does
not appear to have drank, pooped or peed in that time. I did put
her in the bathroom overnight (after dragging her gently out from
under the bed without any apparent fuss on her part), with food and
water, but she crawled up in the linen closet and ate neither.
I did this so she would not have an accident but left the bathroom
door open. SHe never left. She did nibble a few pellets off
the floor when I took them out in front of her.

Bottom line, I suppose this is fairly normal (?), but can anyone give
me a time frame after which it's not? SHe ought to be getting
pretty hungry and thirsty. She's not listless,

TIA
Old July 14th 03, 02:08 AM

SInce coming home, she's spent almost
all the time out of reach under the queen
bed, avoiding Duey my 10 year old cat
and me. Not making any noise, except
some pleasant sounds when I reach in
and pet her. She also does not appear to
have drank, pooped or peed in that time. I
did put her in the bathroom overnight
(after dragging her gently out from under
the bed without any apparent fuss on her
part), with food and water, but she
crawled up in the linen closet and ate
neither. I did this so she would not have
an accident but left the bathroom door
open. SHe never left. She did nibble a few
pellets off the floor when I took them out
in front of her.
Bottom line, I suppose this is fairly normal
(?), but can anyone give me a time frame
after which it's not? SHe ought to be
getting pretty hungry and thirsty. She's not
listless

This is a very stressful situation for the new cat as she is suddenly in
a strange place with strange people and and a cat she doesn't know, and
it sounds like she is a sensitive girl that is taking the change harder
than most. You are unintentionally forcing too much on her at once. Give
her time to adjust to her new surroundings before you attempt to
introduce the resident cat to her. Separate the cats immediately and do
not let them see each other for at least several days to a week before
you attempt an introduction and spend that time getting her used to you
and reassuring her. Here are good instructions on how to introduce a new
cat into the household:
http://www.catsinternational.org/3_6.html

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old July 14th 03, 04:22 PM
Bill

wrote in message
news
[...]

This sounds normal behavior for a cat in a new home.

Each cat has its own personality, and each takes its own time to reach its
level of comfort in a new situation.

I'd say the best thing to do is to leave the cat alone, making sure food,
water, and a litter box are available. The cat will come out to explore its
new surroundings when no one is around. At this stage cats usually don't
like for people to be standing there when they eat, drink, or use the litter
box.

Keep the cats separated during this stage.

It often takes cats a day or two to come out of the hiding, but you may be
prolonging the process by trying to force the cat to be sociable.

Bill

Still in hiding Singh Cat anecdotes 36 October 25th 04 04:22 PM
Hiding and Seeking O J Cat anecdotes 16 July 10th 04 01:43 AM