Excessive drooling

Old September 6th 05, 10:20 PM
Jo Damen

Default Excessive drooling

When we got home from work tonight, our 18 month old cat was drooling
excessively, so we took her to the vet right away.

The vet could see nothing in her mouth, or nothing wrong with her teeth, so
he took her temp, which was 40. He gave her an antibiotic injection for the
fever, and then gave us 4 capsules of antirobe, to start tomorrow night. He
said she could have tonsillitis?

She is a totally indoor cat, so she has had no access to plants or flowers,
and we are very careful with cleaning products, so it can't be that.

I have never heard of cats getting tonsillitis - has anyone else?!

Jo

Old September 7th 05, 02:20 PM
chas

Yes!

My cat had exactly the same back in July. Excessive drooling but not
vomitting and still eating and drinking normally.

The vet diagnosed a sore throat!

A short course of antibiotics and a couple of anti-inflamatory injections
and she was back to normal.

chas

Old September 10th 05, 06:13 PM
Rhonda

We have a cat that was a drooler twice.

As 2-month old kitten, she got a respiratory infection. She stopped
eating and would just drool. After a few trips to the vet (including an
emergency vet), they said many URI's are caused by feline herpes. She
could have had sores down her throat that they could not see.

She had a couple-day bout of drooling a few months ago (over a year
old), with no URI symptoms. Never found what could have caused that. She
could have gotten into something, had an upset stomach, or had a small
outbreak of throat sores. The vet could find nothing wrong in her mouth.

Hope your cat is better. Did she have any cold symptoms?

Rhonda

Old September 10th 05, 06:36 PM
Katy

"Rhonda" wrote in message
We have a cat that was a drooler twice.

As 2-month old kitten, she got a respiratory infection. She stopped
eating and would just drool. After a few trips to the vet (including an
emergency vet), they said many URI's are caused by feline herpes. She
could have had sores down her throat that they could not see.

She had a couple-day bout of drooling a few months ago (over a year
old), with no URI symptoms. Never found what could have caused that. She
could have gotten into something, had an upset stomach, or had a small
outbreak of throat sores. The vet could find nothing wrong in her mouth.

Rhonda, it is good to know that the herpes sores might be out of sight,
I had not known that. Tell me, do you use Lysine with your cat regularly,
or when she has outbreaks? I am not sure if it is used only as a preventive
or if it is used as a treatment.

Old September 11th 05, 04:07 AM
Rhonda

Hi Katy,

I have never used the Lysine. She had that one URI a year ago, and I did
not know about Lysine then. We never actually confirmed it was feline
herpes, but that was the main suspect over calcivirus.

This last time was just a short one-day thing, then she was fine the
next day, then drooled for another day. After that, she was back to
normal so we didn't start any treatment. It was so sudden that we
thought it was something in her mouth -- maybe something caught in
there, but the vet could not find anything.

I should read up about Lysine though if she's going to continue this.

Rhonda

Old September 11th 05, 09:49 AM
Jo Damen

Sorry for the delay in my reply to you all. I just wanted to say thanks for
your replies.

Mollie had no other symptoms apart from the running mouth. She was sick a
couple of times last week though, and she isn't normally sick (unless she
has a hairball!) so I'm just wondering whether that was the beginnings of
it. At the time I just put it down to her eating a little too much (she
loves her food!) Come to think of it now, she didn't meow as much, and when
she did, it was only tiny ones. She normally shouts a lot!

I am pleased to report that, after 4 days of her antibiotics she is back to
normal, and I have my alarm clock back )

Thanks again - I was very worried to start with, as I have never heard of a
cat having a sore throat! I have suffered from tonsillitis so she was
spoiled rotten - even more than usual!

Jo