Diabetic 10 year old won’t drink but is panting

Old July 29th 08, 01:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Samantha

Default Diabetic 10 year old won’t drink but is panting

My 10 year old cat is diabetic but won’t drink. He is panting alot
now, and if you touch him he gets mad. The last time he did that (mad
at touching him) was just before we found out he had diabetes. He
keeps crying and trying to get into my room to go under my bed. It is
10:52 pm here... what should I do?

--
Posted at author's request, using moderated http://www.PetForumz.com interface
Thread archive: http://www.PetForumz.com/Diabetic-10...pict72459.html
Old July 29th 08, 01:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Ross Mc Master

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 19:23:10 -0500, Samantha wrote:

My 10 year old cat is diabetic but won’t drink. He is panting alot
now, and if you touch him he gets mad. The last time he did that (mad
at touching him) was just before we found out he had diabetes. He
keeps crying and trying to get into my room to go under my bed. It is
10:52 pm here... what should I do?

If he is dehydrated, get a plastic syringe( without the needle) and
squirt water in his mouth. Set your alarm clock to an hour before the
vets opens, and get him there ASAP.
Old July 29th 08, 02:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Samantha" wrote in message
news:471120_bd8b42e7e5333b2b1d6461420e3171e2@petfo rumz.com...
My 10 year old cat is diabetic but won't drink. He is panting alot
now, and if you touch him he gets mad. The last time he did that (mad
at touching him) was just before we found out he had diabetes. He
keeps crying and trying to get into my room to go under my bed. It is
10:52 pm here... what should I do?

Well for GOD'S sake don't even THINK about taking him to the vet. If I were
you I would just post to Usenet until he dies or feels better.

Old July 29th 08, 02:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"John Ross Mc Master" wrote:

room to go under my bed. It is
10:52 pm here... what should I do?

If he is dehydrated, get a plastic syringe( without the needle) and
squirt water in his mouth. Set your alarm clock to an hour before the
vets opens, and get him there ASAP.

Is there any place that does not have 24-hour emergency animal clinics?

Old July 29th 08, 03:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl[_4_]

"cybercat" wrote in message

"John Ross Mc Master" wrote:

room to go under my bed. It is
10:52 pm here... what should I do?

If he is dehydrated, get a plastic syringe( without the needle) and
squirt water in his mouth. Set your alarm clock to an hour before the
vets opens, and get him there ASAP.

Is there any place that does not have 24-hour emergency animal clinics?

I think there are. And the ones close you might not trust. I remember when
Shadow's stomach bled out it was about 7am. I was just ready to leave for
work and he vomited a huge amount of blood. I called the close ER and they
told me they couldn't see him before they closed at 9 am when the regular
vets that they covered could see him because they were full. They told me I
could take him to Annapolis where there is an awesome ER clinic but it would
have taken me longer to get there during rush hour to get him there than to
wait for our regular vet to open at 9. That was a horrible morning. I even
called my mom and she rushed over to help me deal with his death because I
knew I couldn't get him anywhere that could take him and save him.

Old July 29th 08, 03:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Cheryl" wrote

Is there any place that does not have 24-hour emergency animal clinics?

I think there are. And the ones close you might not trust. I remember
when Shadow's stomach bled out it was about 7am. I was just ready to
leave for work and he vomited a huge amount of blood. I called the close
ER and they told me they couldn't see him before they closed at 9 am when
the regular vets that they covered could see him because they were full.
They told me I could take him to Annapolis where there is an awesome ER
clinic but it would have taken me longer to get there during rush hour to
get him there than to wait for our regular vet to open at 9. That was a
horrible morning. I even called my mom and she rushed over to help me deal
with his death because I knew I couldn't get him anywhere that could take
him and save him.

Oh, cheryl, I did not know about his, how really awful. What caused the
bleeding?

Old July 29th 08, 03:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl[_4_]

"cybercat" wrote in message

"Cheryl" wrote

[...]

He had an IBD condition. The vets said that was what caused his lack of
appetite, and the hepatic lipidosis that caused me to find that condition in
him. The feeding tube saved him from the hepatic lipidosis but when it was
time to remove the feeding tube the vet screwed up royally. It took her at
least two surgeries to remove the tube. She used a larger coupler thing
that was in his stomach and it went down ok, but it couldn't come back out
the same way. She actually tried, and she tore up his throat. He had to
have surgery by a different vet to cut him open and remove the coupling. I
took him home and then he had to go back and he got a transfusion from a cat
that turned out to be FELV+. They tried to change that story many times,
but the techs told me the transfusion cat tested positive. Vet tried to
tell me Shadow could have had a latent virus that came out through this
trauma. Good thing to know is that in most states cats used for blood
transfusion only have to be tested yearly.

Bottom line is that the vet used a feeding tube and coupler that was way too
large for a cat. Her excuse was that Shadow was a large cat and needed
immediate nutrition and the larger the diameter of the feeding tube, the
quicker he would get well.

Old July 29th 08, 01:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Ross Mc Master

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 21:53:10 -0400, "cybercat"
wrote:

"John Ross Mc Master" wrote:

room to go under my bed. It is
10:52 pm here... what should I do?

If he is dehydrated, get a plastic syringe( without the needle) and
squirt water in his mouth. Set your alarm clock to an hour before the
vets opens, and get him there ASAP.

Is there any place that does not have 24-hour emergency animal clinics?

Where I live there is no 24 hour emergency vets.
Old July 29th 08, 02:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"Cheryl" wrote in message
. ..

"cybercat" wrote in message

"Cheryl" wrote

[...]

GAH! How awful - that sounds worse than the vet who burned my Bandit over
70% of her body. That's really scary!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old July 29th 08, 05:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jean B.

Cheryl wrote:

"cybercat" wrote in message

"Cheryl" wrote

[...]

I remember that horrible sequence of events. :-( When did the
bleeding occur?

--
Jean B.