OT Rant: Yet another Complaint about Where I Live

Old July 23rd 13, 11:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default OT Rant: Yet another Complaint about Where I Live

I'm sorry, but this association is really *too much*. Talk about
controlling. They have an antiquated listserv. People use it to sell
stuff. Or to ask to borrow stuff. Or for people who want
recommendations or suggestions about things.

I own a lot of jewelry. When I worked I'd wear it. But I don't work
now and I don't sit around the house wearing it. I figured I may as
well sell it.

I've sold some of it to people who live here. An opal cocktail ring and
earrings, ditto aquamarines.

BUT, today one of my emails was kicked back by the administrator. She
said people have been "complaining" about the number of emails I've been
sending. Really? When I asked who on earth would complain she
clarified, "The Communications Committee" isn't happy.

Well excuse me! for not giving a crap about what the committee thinks.
They've blocked my emails about selling jewelry. What a bunch of
control freaks.

I got ticked off. I told them hey, no skin off my nose. I have other
options. Dataw can't stop me from posting to Craigslist, Etsy and eBay.
They really do think they're God-like, don't they?

Jill
Old July 23rd 13, 11:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

you live in a place that controls your emails?? that must be illegal
and how do they know what you send?
Are you sure about this?

Tweed

Old July 24th 13, 12:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Of course I'm sure. The DIOA (Dataw Island Owners Association) and the
various committees do their best to control everything. The director of
commuications moderates the content of emails to the Dataw listserv.
They deemed I'd been sending too many emails. Allegedly "people" were
questioning why I was selling off my jewelry. They acted as if perhaps
I'm a cat burglar. Persia does not steal jewelry.

Jill

Old July 24th 13, 12:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

That seems very iffy bordering on illegal that they monitor your emails and
decide what is too many.
Tweed

Old July 24th 13, 01:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Not at all. Think of it as a moderated newsgroup. It is a listserv
that only people who own property here can subscribe to. Yet another
reason it annoys me.

Jill
Old July 24th 13, 01:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 20:06:14 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Have you had any luck trying to sell it?
Old July 24th 13, 01:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

The DIOA (Dataw Island Owners Association) and the
various committees do their best to control everything.

No kidding. I just looked them up.

http://www.justanswer.com/real-estat...prohibits.html

You need to get into all that just to live in your house? Why on earth
did your father take it on? It makes Gormenghast Castle look like an
anarchist utopia.

It appears to be run by a mafia of golf-industry plutocrats.

Old July 24th 13, 12:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

On 2013-07-23 11:00 PM, The Other Guy wrote:
On Wed, 24 Jul 2013 00:45:16 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

That seems very iffy bordering on illegal that they monitor your emails and
decide what is too many.

Unfortunately not, in many places.

The legal reasoning is you don't HAVE to live there,
and if you agree to live there, you abide by their
rules.

If a business, whether they're the ones who manage the island you live
on or not, sets up a listserv, they get to set the rules about who can
use it and how it can be used. And the rules can be whatever they want,
because they own and operate the listserv. They are not controlling
Jill's use of email. As she pointed out herself, there are any number of
other online sites and services owned by other companies where she can
sell her jewelry instead of using the local listserv.

Each of them will have their own regulations for their own service, of
course, but they may well not be as restrictive as a small
privately-owned listserv.

--
Cheryl
Old July 24th 13, 12:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 7/23/2013 8:28 PM, MLB wrote:
On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 20:06:14 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

Not at all. Think of it as a moderated newsgroup. It is a listserv
that only people who own property here can subscribe to. Yet another
reason it annoys me.

Jill

Have you had any luck trying to sell it?

Actually, yes! One woman bought a blue topaz/diamond ring from me last
month for her DIL. Then on Monday she bought an aquamarine ring and
matching earrings for herself. Another woman bought an opal/diamond
cocktail ring for her daughter and now she wants the earrings.

Jill

Old July 24th 13, 12:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 7/23/2013 8:38 PM, Jack Campin wrote:
The DIOA (Dataw Island Owners Association) and the
various committees do their best to control everything.

No kidding. I just looked them up.

http://www.justanswer.com/real-estat...prohibits.html

You need to get into all that just to live in your house? Why on earth
did your father take it on? It makes Gormenghast Castle look like an
anarchist utopia.

It appears to be run by a mafia of golf-industry plutocrats.

You got that right! However, my father was a golf fanatic. He could
afford it and he used the amenities for years. When he could no longer
play golf due to health reasons he "sold" his membership back to the
club for $1000. (You're not allowed to do that anymore.)

In 2001 the DIOA changed the covenants stating that any time property
changes hands (in my case, inherited) the new owner is required to join
their stupid club. Dad died in March, 2008. Mom died in November, 2008
and left me the house. I'm sure my mother had NO inkling of this club
membership requirement since they hadn't been members for years.

When they told me I'd have to join the club I met with an attorney. He
was very blunt - no one ever beats Dataw, don't waste your time. He
said they have a team of lawyers and they'll drag it out for *years*.
Then I'd wind up paying him *and* Dataw's legal fees and I'd still have
to join the club in the meantime.

It's ridiculous. I know of three homes on my street alone that are for
sale; they've been on the market for years. And those are homes that
have nice kitchen upgrades with granite countertops and stainless steel
appliances. My kitchen has formica/laminate countertops and the
original 1987 appliances. A real estate agent said I'd have to make all
sorts of upgrades to get it in selling condition. I can't afford to do
that!

The woman who bought my opal/diamond cocktail ring owns a house here.
She got *permission* from the DIOA to rent it out; she now lives in
Georgia. She told me she's waiting for the real estate market on Dataw
to improve, then she's going to try to sell the house. Meanwhile, the
rent she takes in covers the monthly club dues with a little left over.

Jill